Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

spookyheart

Educated

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's a significant and substantial difference between gaming pre ~2004 and post, when normies started getting into the hobby in huge numbers. The amount of forced tutorials, the general lack of difficulty, the disappearance of some entire genres, the emergence of cringe nerd culture tourists, etc. Besides AAA studios ballooning their budgets and headcounts, there isn't much of a difference between how games were made in 2006 and how they're made today. Games from the Before Times might as well be from another planet.

There is a significant difference between gaming pre 1997 and after it, or really between 80s and 90s, before the emergence of 3D accelerators and after, before Doom became a hit and after, etc. There were always shifts in games, there isn't a neat clean line where you can say games changed fundamentally before and after, except perhaps things like the introduction of the personal/home computer and the general availability of the Internet from private ISPs.

As an example, while Oblivion in the video thumbnail doesn't apply, overall in the midlate 2000s linear overly scripted action games were incredibly common and popular, a handful of years later anything linear was considered awful bad design and the next decade (2010s) was all about "open world" games regardless of if they made sense or not - and in recent years people have started to complain about everything being open world and want shorter handmade linear stuff. This alone (there are other trends) is one thing that makes playing games made in the 2000s very different from games in 2020s - case in point, can you find a new game like BloodRayne or BloodRayne 2? I was looking recently and everything seems to be made 15+ years ago, the closest would be (based on a quick look, i haven't played it) Lollipop Chainsaw Repop but that is a remaster of a game from 2012 - i.e. a decade+ old game. Other games that are similar at a surface level might exist but if you dig even slightly deeper you'll notice things like RPG elements, Dark Souls-like combat, open world level design, etc.

Even if the game production of 2010s (and late 2000s) is more similar to that of 2020s than the 90s, trends do not remain static for decades and they heavily affect how the games look and play to the point where even two games from the same franchise can play differently if there is a decade or more between their release (well, not always, a few developers do stick to their own thing - like Spiders before they were bought - but they tend to be the exception).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Based thot

Based. Would bring to church and demand the wearing of a sundress.

I'm 75% certain she's pulling a grift. I don't doubt she dislikes modern slop, none of the women in my life like it, so that checks out, but you're kidding yourself if you think she didn't make this upload specifically to profit off of channers and chuds.

Now she should play Daggerfall if she claims to like atmospheric rps...
Probably the starting dungeon - Privateer's Hold might filter her, might be too much for her to handle.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
1725462549341.png

But has she internalized the 36 Lessons? I DOUBT IT.

Ezekiel

Arcane

The Electric Undergound is the only gaming channel worth a shit these days. He came to fame after shitting on the Resident Evil 4 remake and having a small spat with GGGman.

Anyway, this is just his latest vid but they're all solid, well-written and cringe-free.

Even played by a pro, it looks so weightless, cheap and stupid. The power slide is used so much that it's retarded. Doubt I'll ever play it again.

Sticky cover is still lame, no matter the different ways in which the player can latch to the cover and separate. Swapping shoulders and simply standing behind objects makes a lot more sense, because you don't have to go right up to the cover and the movement is not hampered. Vanquish has its protagonist cover so much of the screen, but no shoulder swap?

cover-motion.jpg

Obviously need crouch with free cover as well, so that you can duck under low walls (and projectiles).

Just drop the sticky cover and use that button for another mechanic.

Hagashager

Educated
Based thot

Based. Would bring to church and demand the wearing of a sundress.

I'm 75% certain she's pulling a grift. I don't doubt she dislikes modern slop, none of the women in my life like it, so that checks out, but you're kidding yourself if you think she didn't make this upload specifically to profit off of channers and chuds.

Now she should play Daggerfall if she claims to like atmospheric rps...
Probably the starting dungeon - Privateer's Hold might filter her, might be too much for her to handle.

She actually did livestream Daggerfall and got out of Privateer's Hold. I think she does like TES and older ARPGs, I also think she knows how to tweak her audience perfectly. She knows who she is and why half her audience watches her.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Yeah, the masses just want everything to play the same. It's all so tiresome and inescapable. Fucking parry, ugh.

TC Jr

Scholar
Haven't seen this guy posted yet.

Despite the name, he doesn't just cover C64 games, also has thorough documentaries on the Mega Drive, Arcade machines etc.
I've been subbed for a good few years and his videos are always consistently great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom