Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

jimster

Educated
Anyone know YouTubers who make good SHORT reviews of more obscure games? Like as a means of discovering new games to play instead of long ass videos to watch after. Preferably doesn't use the words "UNDERRATED MASTERPIECE" in its titles.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Continuing the combo:

I don't know anything about the trials and tribulations of being a youtube creator, but what's up with the fairly new trend of "actually, the other review / critique channels are getting it wrong"? These dudes seem more competitive than I remember.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
It's an old video, probably already posted, but I think it's still actual and a reminder of what we have lost.

As a bonus, a comment on the video by Randy Smith:
As one of the original Thief developers, I respect and appreciate this video - many thanks! I also agree that a lot of design values and mentality were more to my tastes in the 90's than they are in games today and that there was a current of innovation that has been since neglected (asides here: the indie games community has to a good degree kept this alive, and also if you can find it check out Clint Hocking's excellent GDC talk comparing the Ultima series to modern gaming). That said, I did want to offer a few observations from having been a Thief developer: some things that drove us included economy (we had limited budget, schedule, and resources) and therefore orthogonality (why make a similar tool/feature when you can make one with a distinct purpose with no overlap), immersion (what would it be like to really live in this world, in this character's shoes and how can we best convey that with our limited tools), focused direction (do one thing and do it well; note that Thief's director, Greg LoPiccolo, next went on to lead the development of Guitar Hero), a belief in the medium (video games are a distinct form of art/expression, how can we emphasize what this medium does best) and therefore player ownership (how can we allow our players to feel like what's happened to them was a result of their own choices and actions and not something we baked in advance for them). However, we weren't quite as principled and flawless as this video makes us out to be. For example, I think we would have liked fancier, more dynamic maps if we had the budget for it - though I suspect that ours still would have been a world building tool and not a minimap. We might have added better training and mid-mission cinematics to expand our storytelling, although I suspect those would have erred on the side of not interrupting the player's experience. That's why I started the list with "economy;" Thief was razor sharp in part because we didn't have the budget to bloat it out with surplus features, and it's to our credit that we focused what we did have in the right directions. If there's other designers reading this: you too can get this right! And if you make some mistakes, that's okay! We did too!

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Guy makes spotlight videos on each year in dos gaming. This one covers 1992, and damn, what a good year.

The videos are a bit dry, but I find it fun to skip through them looking for games I wish to play someday. And of course they are not performing that well, considering the amount of effort that must go into them.

Codex Year of the Donut
Discovered Gamedev Adventures through his Gothic vids about a year ago, here's his latest video:

poor video, didn't mention any of the many downsides that plague games that use level-by-use systems, tried to explain the origin of XP but didn't even once mention how it was tied to gold, didn't mention any of the implications of underrail or how mechanically it's nothing new and just a fresh coat of paint over existing limited XP systems

nothing in this video is better, and no new ideas are discussed. The person who made it has a weaker grasp on the subject than the average codexer.

Dr1f7

Scholar
found some absolute kino for yall

this one's kinda wild; it aired in 2002 before WoW was a thing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom