Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Please ping taxalot (he ignores me) and remind him how he said that we were all "luddites" and the future of gaming is Stadia.

What kind of name is google anyway? It's the sound a chick's throat makes when dicks fly in and out rapidly. Not surprising their products suck. Tell taxalot if he has any honor, he will now make "google" sounds by paying reparations to all he insulted.

cosmicray

Savant
We’re facing some of the most challenging times in recent memory. Keeping social distance is vital, but staying home for long periods can be difficult and feel isolating. Video games can be a valuable way to socialize with friends and family when you’re stuck at home, so we’re giving gamers in 14 countries free access to Stadia Pro for two months.

Anyone who signs up will get two free months of Stadia Pro with instant access to nine games, including GRID, Destiny 2: The Collection, and Thumper. You can purchase even more games on the store, which will remain yours to play even if you cancel your Stadia Pro subscription. If you’re already a paid Stadia Pro subscriber, we won’t charge you for the next two months.
https://www.blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today/

going to go out on a limb and guess you lose access to the games you ""bought""(rented) after your subscription expires, right?
Wrong.

J1M

Arcane
I wonder what Google will do with all of the excess graphics cards from this experiment. They can probably re-purpose the other components into their cloud offering.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I wonder what Google will do with all of the excess graphics cards from this experiment. They can probably re-purpose the other components into their cloud offering.
The same shit any other corporation will do,throw it away.
Farm crypto, obviously. Greedy fucks gonna greed.
LoL too much work for some corporate suit. Tho the IT department could do it easelly,just plug that shit in the basement and fill your pockets.

We’re facing some of the most challenging times in recent memory. Keeping social distance is vital, but staying home for long periods can be difficult and feel isolating. Video games can be a valuable way to socialize with friends and family when you’re stuck at home, so we’re giving gamers in 14 countries free access to Stadia Pro for two months.

Anyone who signs up will get two free months of Stadia Pro with instant access to nine games, including GRID, Destiny 2: The Collection, and Thumper. You can purchase even more games on the store, which will remain yours to play even if you cancel your Stadia Pro subscription. If you’re already a paid Stadia Pro subscriber, we won’t charge you for the next two months.
https://www.blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today/

My browser is flagging this page as having malware.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tele-gaming has been tried repeatedly for well over a decade now and has always failed, primarily due to latency, quality loss, and the immense amount of bandwidth required—both throughput and total.

Even under optimal conditions (fiber-optic cable all the way, cutting-edge remote servers, direct wired connection to the end user's modem, and close proximity to the data center), the round-trip delay time becomes substantial.

Not even fiber-optic cable can transmit data rapidly enough to support 1080p+ graphics at 60+ FPS with a constantly moving/changing viewport. There simply isn't the throughput. For those who have difficulty conceptualizing this, imagine trying to move a fire hose's worth of water through a garden hose. This is why "HD" streaming video turns into blurry garbage whenever there's a rapidly-changing forest scene, for example: The data of all those millions of leaves constantly moving and changing is far too much for the available bandwidth throughput to cope with, and the numerous behind-the-curtain technical tricks used to hide this shortcoming under most viewing conditions fail whenever rapid movement is introduced to the scene.

In short, "cloud" gaming is a non-starter of a hoax, not dissimilar to solar roads and communism.

Norfleet

Tele-gaming works as long as you're not concerned with any of those things, but then, why do you need someone ELSE's fancy service? I can remote-game over VNC just fine WITHOUT GOOGLE's help.

deama

Prophet
You'd probably be able to get streaming going if you would change the infrastructure to be modern, but that's not gonna happen for a while. I wonder if this will take off in Korea? They have pretty good internet there don't they; is Stadia available in Korea?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Stadia was a non-starter because it wasn't offered like a netflix for games with a monthly flat fee, if they'd managed that then people would have lined up for it

DraQ

Arcane
Tele-gaming has been tried repeatedly for well over a decade now and has always failed, primarily due to latency, quality loss, and the immense amount of bandwidth required—both throughput and total.

Even under optimal conditions (fiber-optic cable all the way, cutting-edge remote servers, direct wired connection to the end user's modem, and close proximity to the data center), the round-trip delay time becomes substantial.
Actually, basic *physical* RTT is going to be worse with fiber than with copper, fiber's main advantage is MASSIVELY improved bandwidth (which might factor into RTT with actual packets).

In short, "cloud" gaming is a non-starter of a hoax, not dissimilar to solar roads and communism.
I could see a sort-of cloud becoming relevant to gaming, but it would definitely not be a cloud in today's meaning of the word. Locality is important where latency matters.

Norfleet

I could see cloud processing and even gaming being used for things like AI in TBS, where you could get MUCH more horsepower than a tiny device, and latency is not sensitive in a turn-based design, but the concept sort of flops when you're playing something that doesn't have particularly high demands for parallelizable computing horsepower. Pushing graphics-rendering to remote service doesn't work because the games which demand the most graphics also tend to be very latency sensitive.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It's unacceptable to you and I. To Mr. Joe Average coming home from work and getting an hour of gaming in before the kids finish their homework? Playing something like Assassin's Creed? I doubt it. Some tech sites have actually praised the performance of Stadia, and mostly knocked it for its business model.

I firmly believe when someone offers "the Netflix of games" it will get a ton of support from the kind of people who buy a handful of PS4 games a year and don't take it too seriously. Microsoft seem to be aiming for that. Even people have mentioned playing streaming versions on here multiple times recently, and this isn't a casual site. I mean I'd love to be wrong but...

J1M

Arcane
Look on the bright side. Google can scapegoat Stadia's failure on the china virus and the bandwidth restrictions companies have been self-imposing.

Delterius

Arcane
Look on the bright side. Google can scapegoat Stadia's failure on the china virus and the bandwidth restrictions companies have been self-imposing.
Yes. Imagine blaming your failure on a commercial opportunity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom