Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gorasul: Legacy of the Dragon!

Andhaira

Arcane
Gorasul is a piece of crap. play it for teh lulz. (and bad translation)

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought it many years ago (when it came out) and player for like... an hour? Then I got bored and forgot about it... I think I still have it somewhere... I could play it again but I'm not sure if I want to.

Panthera

Scholar
Wow, looking at those screenshots - bit of a Planescape rip.

33vot9d.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't. I just reinstalled and tried to play it yesterday. It is horrible and if shitty real-time combat wasn't enough, dialogues and all text kill it. And story is about fighting evil, in case you wondered.

Better save your time to play another game.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I remember having a demo disk with this game on it back when it came out. It kept crashing, but somehow I managed to finish the demo.

I recall the basic idea being sort of cool. As far as I remember you are some sort of mage waking up in your own tower with no recollection of the events prior to that moment. The game was somewhat slow and had shit RTwP combat (I think).

In the demo you couldn't change your name even though it looked like you should be able to. I think it forced you to be named Roszondas or something similarly retarded. In the character creation screen you could also customize some "spirit weapon", but it had to be a sword. I think.

The thing is, I recall trying to find it somewhere and being unable to, neither paying or in emule or whatever I was using in those days. Years later I did find it for download, but it had graphics glitches, or crashes, or something that prevented me from playing it for more than a couple of minutes, or so I remember.

I was thinking about this game the other day and I want to know if I missed on something of average quality or it was a complete piece of shit. A quick search in the codex seemed to bring the worst crpg you've ever suffered thread, so my hopes are not very high. Can I just safely delete any recollections of this game from my memory?

Last edited:

RuySan

Augur
This game came together with arx fatalis and divine divinity on a rpg bundle I bought in 2003 or something. I never got to play it because of done bug right at the beginning, I think

Beowulf

Arcane
Very short, rather dissapointing, from what I remember.

The only good thing was that one song was made by Corvus Corax, if you are into that sort of things:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You can choose other spiritual weapons. As a mage I could get dagger that boost your INT (faster mana regen). Tried to do Let's Play for codex but get bored fast.
Played it years back on shit pc, finished it and was ok game. Years later I found codex and info that Gorasul is garbage tier RPG (with Dungeon Lords and Mistmare to compare). Feels weird.
Game is unplayable on new systems (Vista and above, only way to launch was VitualBox with WinXP or MS VPC with Win98se) and there is no chance to bring it to Steam/GOG unless Jowood do some stupid like resurrection of his old IPs.

Koschey

Arcane
I'm pretty sure I had it running on a Vista laptop a few years back, played through I think about 3/4 of the game. Overall just so mediocre it's boring instead of amusingly horribad.

hilfazer

Scholar
It's absolute shit tier.
It takes 4 CDs but its content could easily fit into one.
I remember arrows costing a fortune making me forget about ranged weapons altogether. I also stopped using my speshul weapon pretty early since repairing it was too expensive as well.
Oh, and there were minigames. Not too many, fortunately.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Fun fact: in Poland it was published by CDProjekt fully translated to potato as a part of their series/collection called "eXtra Gra" at the price of 29,99 PLN (about 7 $ :dance:).

I've bought it day 1 and...
It was terrible. I've got caught by the marketing and pretty good previews in polish press. :mixedemotions:

Konjad

Patron
Fun fact: in Poland it was published by CDProjekt fully translated to potato as a part of their series/collection called "eXtra Gra" at the price of 29,99 PLN (about 7 $ :dance:).

I've bought it day 1 and...
It was terrible. I've got caught by the marketing and pretty good previews in polish press. :mixedemotions:
They got me too, bro. They got me too.

Buying Far Cry for 149 PLN (or was it 139?) was a better deal :M

Farewell into the night

I played this game in early 2000's. Don't remember much, except I turn it off after couple of minutes. I think it took ages to install too my hard drive. Going to try it soon again, because it's like 17 years later, and I'm curious about it.

PanickedTushkano

Educated
Noticed that some very cheap copies were still available, so I gave it a try. Took some fiddling, but as so often pcgamingwiki had useful advice.

Anyway, it's functional and the music is fine. I think that's about the best I can say about it. Oh, and the talking weapon which levels with you is probably the only interesting idea in it so far. As far as I can tell after only 3 hours.

But the environments are mostly bland, spells effects do look unremarkable and combat is unsatisfying. The character system doesn't have much depth and the writing and world-building are pretty weak. Tolip for instance is a village with people in it. Some have quests for the player, but they are simple and not supported by anything more than the most barebones dialogue. You can't enter any of the buildings either.

I don't think it's worth bothering with it any further.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
I maintain it's a shame this didn't get the patching love it so desperately needed.

The essential elements are all in there, could have been really something.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
this gem appears to be gaining popularity on dex, yet no mentions on how to resolve technical difficulties of running it on modern rigs.
Even more horrifying, instead of spreading the gospel, I find statements like this one:
Awful BG clone. Not worth playing.
which make me question some of the posters integrity.

Worry not though, its certainly doable to play it well on win11, however steps like those listed in here https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Gorasul:_The_Legacy_of_the_Dragon
are not enough.

While I'm not sure whats the minimum number of required steps, I do know that ddraw from dgvoodo doesnt work and is crucial to resolve low framerate.
Anyway here is what I did:
- patch to 1.6
- find noov executable, set compatibility to win xp sp3
- get dgvoodo https://github.com/dege-diosg/dgVoodoo2/releases , copy over D3D8 and D3Dlmm. If you want to use config -> copy over dgvoodo and make sure you run it in admin mode
- get working ddraw https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat and copy it over

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember this mostly because it was something me and my Romanian pal were hyped for back during our school years.
Why? Because our main source of games were Romanian cracked game sellers, and he knew one who had a big catalog of all his available games, each just saying the genre and how many CDs they need.

Gorasul came on 4 CDs. That was more than our cracked copies of BG2, Arcanum, Morrowind... so we imagined "If the game comes on 4 CDs it must be so much bigger and richer in content than our favorites! Wow, this must be amazing!"

... it wasn't :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom