Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorry for bumping this thread but did you noticed that the remake is inferior even in graphics to Gothic?

zpBvE8Z.png

dAWj2eD.png

I took this pictures from here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=24&v=wOQvckH9aAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvyzjFfxiXo&t=4s

Because my PC can't run the modded ret fully maxed and i don't wanna download the abomination who is known as "gothic 1 remake"

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
tbh that looks like modded Gothic and the one below like a super low quality graphics settings version of a playable teaser (of all things).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
tbh that looks like modded Gothic and the one below like a super low quality graphics settings version of a playable teaser (of all things).

I forget to tell "to modded gothic".

My point is that modders did a better job with graphics than THQ barcelona...

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
From their Discord posted by their community manager:

Zyddie said:
@everyone https://twitter.com/ElMegalomator/status/1284538586554130432

Important notes -

- everything will change and get closer to the original (on a scale from 1 to 10 for how much the Teaser's mechanics represent the final game, he put it at a 1,35)
- they want to make useless interactive things like benches etc more important and immersive
- the more strategic teaser combat lost the essence of Gothic and doesn't work well against animals
- they are building many prototypes for new combat systems, it will stay more tactical than action-focused though - there will be animations for eating and drinking
- They have a checklist now to test whether new content ideas are "Gothic-worthy"
- no disconnect between player and hero for available knowledge and how you're guided through the game (no rambling hero anymore)
- not final yet, but they don't want to rerecord existing dialogues from the original because the voice-overs are so important to many fans
- they now have 20-25 people in their team
- they plan to start communicating again sometime in 2020 and then want to steadily maintain that connection

For the German part of the community
- https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/podcast-gothic-remake,3359967.html
- https://open.spotify.com/episode/48IpbMQxP4orWP4kulJAOj?si=Wd-PtU2tRH6tSGtvq4dkNA&context=spotify:show:0FmnleLSiA986Mp6qy2HYQ

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
70% in there are a case of "told you so", which makes me think that someone there didn't really know what they are doing or lacked vision.

Like the combat. Just use Gothic's combat and completely overhaul the stiff animations. Done. This shouldn't take "building many prototypes".
Not really sure what they mean with the "more tactical", though.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I guess its nice that they at least realise why the teaser missed the mark by a landslade and didnt even land in the same postcode as an auhtentic Gothic game?
I have lost all expectations for this. They fumbled on the atmosphere and core themes or a Gothic game so hard I cant see this ever being good under the same team. I will hear the podcast this afternoon probably, maybe they give me a little more hope.
A few diehard Gothic fans of the first hour I know are absolutely in it tho. So it has to at least something right, or they are just so starved for Gothic.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gothic doesn't need a tactical combat. Needs a IMMERSIVE combat. Seriously. Look to ANY, i repeat ANY video praising Gothic 1/2. Everyone says that Gothic is great due immersion. Details like

Definitely not something good, I am pretty sure about that at least. But we will see...

Considering how they love to copy things from games completely different from gothic, i would't be surprized if they deliver WoW style tab targeting combat or XCOM combat.... And by the love of Adanos, i an not saying that XCOM has a bad combat, just not a good combat for gothic.

---------------------------

Everything that they need to know about how to make gothic great, Nocturnal Rambler said in that article > https://thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com/2019/12/gothic-remake-playable-teaser-feedback.html

"Gothic 1's main appeal to me is that practically everything about it was designed to facilitate immersion, not just from a lore and world-building perspective but from a mechanical gameplay standpoint as well, and pretty much everything in the remake stands in blatant defiance of immersive design. "

--------------

IF was up to me, how i would make G1 remake?
  1. Contact the modding teams from popular mods, Atariar, Returning, etc.
  2. Give the source code to then and say that they will receive a good salary and have to deliver Gothic with the best graphics that they can,
  3. Also say that they can only implement changes if they are optional and they can "press a button" and disable. Eg - I would love manual aiming with spells, bows and crossbows
  4. Profit
And i an not joking. The graphics of returning + graphical mods for G2 looks way better than this remake and are far less HW intensive. So simple. Why a "new studio" made by people who don't understand why Gothic is great in the first place? And of course, there are problems with that idea. Intellectual propriety of music and voice acting of original gothic and modders, also, how to import Russian workers since Returning is made by Russian and if they even speak the local language...

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IMO should't even be a remake.

Gothic 1 and 2 needs a remaster
Gothic 3 a remake.

And with time to finish the game this time.

Jinn

Arcane
Nothing will ever make this as good as Gothic. A remake is not only unnecessary, it's insulting.

I wish this would just die. Fuck this shit so hard.

JDR13

Arcane
So much edge in here.

The teaser sucked hard, but I'm still curious what a remake could potentially be like even if I know it won't be as good as Gothic 1 & 2.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
So much edge in here.

The teaser sucked hard, but I'm still curious what a remake could potentially be like even if I know it won't be as good as Gothic 1 & 2.

I mean this was debated at length. I am not opposed to a remake in general but from their showing I agree that they should not touch the game.

Sure, they may be able to pull it of in the end but the chances of it being shit is immense and if it is, it's either some shitty clone of some other game that isn't gothic, killing what the franchise *IS* again for a bit of cash or it's simply shit and the franchise will be buried for another 15-20 years if not forever.

If they had produced a decent trailer at least I would be a lot more optimistic.

Jinn

Arcane

Here's the thing. Even if it's not as good as Gothic 1 & 2 - as it surely will not be - it's going to negatively effect future PB games. It's irrevocably connected now, so if it's utter shit and sells well, we're going to see the detrimental effects in PB games. This is worrisome because PB has finally made progress with ELEX. Either way, it's a shitty, no-good developer touching a cherished franchise, and doing extremely poorly in the process. Nothing here is good, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. I won't be, but I'd like to be.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Have they made progress with Elex?

I like PB games, and I liked Elex, but if we're honest, isn't it just Gothic with a new coat of paint, exactly like Risen was?

Jinn

Arcane
Have they made progress with Elex?

I like PB games, and I liked Elex, but if we're honest, isn't it just Gothic with a new coat of paint, exactly like Risen was?

I'd say they made progress with ELEX in a number of ways (while also backtracking in a number as well).

Here's the thing, we don't get many or any games like this ever, so when they do come along, we have to appreciate them. When you come to a point in your life when you think "I'm never going to see another game like this again", and then you somehow, beyond expectation do, you come to appreciate them. ELEX is that kind of game. A game the likes I haven't seen come since its release. This is why I'm eagerly awaiting the release date of ELEX 2.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I just found out that Reinhard Pollice is the producer for the remake who also the producer for Arcania so expect *immersive gameplay* and *quality*

leaked footage
EqualWhichGermanwirehairedpointer-size_restricted.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom