Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

ADL

Prophet
Impressive for a project that presumably took 90 days to make but I really can't stand the aesthetic of Unreal Engine 4. That's my one note for THQN, stay the fuck away from UE4 and let PB continue investing in their tech.

retinoid

Savant
Given this isn't a project yet and something they quickly put together, if we bitch loud enough I think we can get them to change the art style to something more akin to the orginal.

passerby

Arcane
I wouldn't mind a remake, if it had ELEX production values and gameplay style, but this shit: OTS camera, console UI, horrible lighting, bland artstyle, no thanks.

Given this isn't a project yet and something they quickly put together, if we bitch loud enough I think we can get them to change the art style to something more akin to the orginal give up on defiling the original.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Super slow motion action sequence right at the beginning, retarded monologue with retarded voice actor, bad cutscenes that take you out of the game every 10 seconds, bloom of death and other blur and chromatic abberation shit + shaky combat camera rendering the ingame graphics almost unreadable. This shit looks absolutely haram guys....

edit: Fucking dialogue wheels...

Last edited:
Meh, I love Gothic 1 and 2, but this seems kinda stupid. Putting together a whole new studio to remake 20 year old game. Why? Just have them make a new game with similar gameplay instead perhaps? Why is modern game development so ass backwards?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm watching this new shit and I don't feel anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piranha_Bytes

On 22 May 2019, THQ Nordic announced to have acquired the studio to undisclosed terms.[4] At the time, the studio had 31 employees in its Essen-based offices.[4] Through, the acquisition, Piranha Bytes was reincorporated as Piranha Bytes GmbH.[1] By June, the company had 32 employees.[5]

Parent

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-fate-of-the-gothic-remake-will-be-determined-by-a-playable-teaser/

THQ Nordic is considering dusting off classic RPG series Gothic, which it acquired along with developer Piranha Bytes earlier this year. It wants to start right at the beginning, too, with 2001's original Gothic, but before diving into development, the publisher and the new Gothic team at Barcelona Studios have released a playable teaser to test the waters.

Gothic is a bit like a German Elder Scrolls, complete with an open-world sandbox, NPCs that have routines, and a freewheeling approach to character progression. The first game came out the year before Morrowind and was full of stuff that would become more familiar as more open-world RPGs started to appear.

The prototype contains the the mining colony of Khornis, and once you're done exploring, you'll be asked to complete a survey to let the publisher know if you want it to go into full production. If you own any Piranha Bytes game on Steam, it will show up in your library and you'll be able to download it straight away. Check out the comparison between the two versions below.

Piranha Bytes is working on a different project, to be announced next year, so Barcelona Studios will also develop the full game if it goes ahead. If the reception is positive, the studio will have to scale up, move office and start rebuilding it from scratch. Everything, aside from the world, story and music will be new.

Making a playable teaser for something that might not ever be made is a risk, too, and it's hard to untangle the term from the Silent Hill teaser, P.T., which unfortunately never spawned a full game. What Barcelona Studios has put together has some rough edges, but it still goes well beyond a proof of concept. Right now, it feels like the start of a full RPG, though one that could do with toning down the camera wobble and 'cinematic' effects.

There's more than a whiff of The Witcher 3 about it, surprisingly. The UI looks similar, the hero looks like Poundland Geralt, and the combat system isn't a million miles away from it, either, though it's got more in common with something like For Honor or Kingdom Come: Deliverance. You pick the direction of your attacks and blocks with the mouse, trying to find a weakness in the enemy's defence. It took me a couple of fights to get the hang of it, but it provided far more interesting duels that I'm used to at the start of an RPG.

In some places it sticks quite closely to the original, but it eases you into the adventure instead of immediately sending you on a quest. The original intro cinematic, for instance, has been expanded and turned into a tutorial where you need to get through a fire and some rather unfriendly beasties. And instead of just telling you there might be some weapons lying around, you're sent on a quest to recover a pendant, teaching you more about quests and combat, after which you're rewarded with a gross sword pulled out of a charred corpse.

Just pulling out your sword pisses people off, so you can end up in fights with people you'd maybe rather talk to, creating some rather embarrassing situations. You can be a dick on purpose too, of course, like lying and murdering and thieving. All the classics. This also leads to more fights and potentially cuts questlines short.

It's pretty grisly in general—lots of blood and corpses—and it strikes a more serious tone than its predecessor, complete with voice acting that significantly improves on the original's... unusual choices. And there's a fair amount of it, though none of it riveting enough that I couldn't have done with the option to skip some of it. They're a chatty bunch in Gothic.

I'd give an emphatic 'yes' to a Gothic Remake without a teaser, honestly, but it's helpful to see the direction it might go in. It's a reimagining with promise, and I definitely approve of the combat changes, but it's hard to predict how people are going to react to them.

The only way to get it right now is by owning a Piranha Bytes game, and while that will undoubtedly include people who have never played Gothic before, I still hope it's opened up to more new players to get a broader perspective. Fans of 20-year-old games might not always have the best judgement of what a remake should play like.

The download is 9GB for me.

Tigranes

Arcane
Meh, I love Gothic 1 and 2, but this seems kinda stupid. Putting together a whole new studio to remake 20 year old game. Why? Just have them make a new game with similar gameplay instead perhaps? Why is modern game development so ass backwards?

Sounds like you're asking for ARKANIA II: GOTHIC V, friend

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
E523F7B09106732C6E507FDE19B0AD3A091381D6

28475313D83230F7000EAC5FE64F888F66B6BEE2

It's not a simple remake, it's a rape re-imagining the whole thing!

:dead::dead::dead:
:flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw:

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
I played it a little bit.
New level design and a few new characters while keeping the main story and lore there is.
Could be interesting.
Doesn't have to compare to Gothic 1 but to Risen 2 or 3.
If it's better than those i will buy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom