Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gothic Remake Gameplay Trailer

Vulpes

Scholar
Morrowind was not a big budget game, far from it in fact. Bethesda was close to bankruptcy during it's development because both Battlespire and Redguard were a commercial failure. Blade of Darkness (a proto-Soulslike ARPG) came out the same year as Gothic 1. Yet it was far better than it and Morrowind in terms of combat, graphical fidelity, animation and level design.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Morrowind was not a big budget game, far from it in fact. Bethesda was close to bankruptcy during it's development because both Battlespire and Redguard were a commercial failure. Blade of Darkness (a proto-Soulslike ARPG) came out the same year as Gothic 1. Yet it was far better than it and Morrowind in terms of combat, graphical fidelity, animation and level design.

I love Severance, and it also has its own era "jank". Curiously its Spanish team would go on to make the divisive but also very competent bootleg god of war, Lords of Shadows castlevania games.
I love the atmosphere of Severance, its a weird mix of sword and sorcery and old lotr classic D&D. its a fucking shame we never got sequels. Sword and Sorcery is cursed.

But yeah Gothic was pretty impressive for its day. The jank brand is retroactively applied by its successors that got stale sadly.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
- The control scheme is one of the best ever if you spend 5 minutes learning it, instead of spending 15 minutes shitposting about it. I genuinely want all ARPGs to be like this, entirely playable via keyboard.

So much this, I really do not understand how people can shit on Gothics control scheme it plays incredibly intuitively. There are three oddities: Blocking while standing is pointless, changing targets is not great and related to that you can only ever hit one enemy.

Everything else works absolutely stellar and even with that you have gameplay systems that are fun, tactical in combat, easily learnable and intuitive.

And yes Morrowind is way worse when it comes to Jank than Gothic.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So much this, I really do not understand how people can shit on Gothics control scheme it plays incredibly intuitively. [...]

Everything else works absolutely stellar and even with that you have gameplay systems that are fun, tactical in combat, easily learnable and intuitive.
Exactly. It takes a *little bit* of effort to learn the controls initially, I'm not denying that. But if someone cannot get through that minor initial hurdle, well...

Once I learned the controls, I was genuinely delighted how well thought out and intuitive they are.

Eldrin

Novice
- The control scheme is one of the best ever if you spend 5 minutes learning it, instead of spending 15 minutes shitposting about it. I genuinely want all ARPGs to be like this, entirely playable via keyboard.

So much this, I really do not understand how people can shit on Gothics control scheme it plays incredibly intuitively. [...]
I am 100% sure that it comes from having mouse controls still open and available as a player gameplay option - they should've just disabled the mouse, or at least limit it to camera movement only, without the buttons doing anything. Most people that complain probably never even tried keyboard-only, because they were so used to the usual A-RPG control scheme, and couldn't even imagine that keyboard-only was a thing in Gothic.

Heck, I was one of those people as a teen, when I first played: "Mouse controls the camera, attacks are (still) assigned to mouse, standard Mouse+Keyboard it is! ... wait, why is the combat so weird and janky? Why does it feel so unresponsive?"

And some people only realized years after their first playthroughs, often when they've watched a video of someone, that has had a good grasp of the controls. I often saw comments about it, while I was searching for guides to Gothic modding; questioning how someone could be 'so good', or have such 'fluid combat in a game like Gothic'.

I used mouse exclusively for camera movement when needed. Rebinded everything to where I really could've played with one hand only on keyboard. Very intuitive controls.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
(...) I am 100% sure that it comes from having mouse controls still open and available as a player gameplay option - they should've just disabled the mouse, or at least limit it to camera movement only, without the buttons doing anything. Most people that complain probably never even tried keyboard-only, because they were so used to the usual A-RPG control scheme, and couldn't even imagine that keyboard-only was a thing in Gothic. (...)
I remember reading a preview for Gothic in Gamestar where they complained that the game had no mouse support. Allegedly, Piranha Bytes added mouse support only a couple of months before the release because Gamestar had complained. That's probably the reason why mouse controls are so half-baked. In any way, keyboard only is the correct way to play Gothic. The game was specifically designed for this input method.

Edit: I found a article on the gamestar website which confirms it.

Last edited:

Eldrin

Novice
I remember reading a preview for Gothic in Gamestar where they complained that the game had no mouse support. Allegedly, Piranha Bytes added mouse support only a couple of months before the release because Gamestar had complained. [...]
Interesting. So Journos were fcking up games since even longer than I had thought XD

Eldrin

Novice
Welp, fck Petra then.

If this is true, I believe she is the cause why so many people ended up never understanding how to play Gothic properly. If Piranha Bytes had just ignored her, risked it and left the game as Keyboard-only, people wouldn't have had another choice but to adapt and get into the proper gameplay system. With mouse left open as an option, most casuals probably just went in, saw how clunky it felt playing as Keyboard&Mouse, didn't even check that there was another way to play the game (Keyboard-only for a game like Gothic is at first glance kinda unexpected) and just dropped it. That's why it became a relatively niche game, instead of becoming more acclaimed among the masses worldwide.

Ryzer

Arcane
Welp, fck Petra then.

If this is true, I believe she is the cause why so many people ended up never understanding how to play Gothic properly. If Piranha Bytes had just ignored her, risked it and left the game as Keyboard-only, people wouldn't have had another choice but to adapt and get into the proper gameplay system. With mouse left open as an option, most casuals probably just went in, saw how clunky it felt playing as Keyboard&Mouse, didn't even check that there was another way to play the game (Keyboard-only for a game like Gothic is at first glance kinda unexpected) and just dropped it. That's why it became a relatively niche game, instead of becoming more acclaimed among the masses worldwide.
Nah it just plays like ass in both cases, Risen 1 is where they started to get the right combat system.

Vulpes

Scholar
Nothing about the way Gothic controlled was good. Seriously, who the hell thought that having to press three different keys just to move a stack of ore from one screen to another was good design? With a mouse-friendly UI, you would just drag and drop. It doesn't get simpler than that. Even Doom's keyboard only control scheme was more intuitive. Shit, the only reason this gay-ass one-handed control scheme even exists is because the developers initially intended for Gothic to be played with a controller on the Playstation 1, but couldn't get it to run on that hardware.

thesecret1

Arcane
Mouse for UI and the occassional camera control, keyboard for everything else. Once you understand that, as well as that Gothic uses lock-on for everything, you've fully understood the control system. It's different from the norm but is honestly pretty damn good and easy to use. The only negative that bugged me was that the lock-on didn't lend itself well to fighting multiple enemies, but that's the case with every game featuring lock-on (KC:D, for example)

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mouse for UI and the occassional camera control, keyboard for everything else. Once you understand that, as well as that Gothic uses lock-on for everything, you've fully understood the control system. It's different from the norm but is honestly pretty damn good and easy to use. The only negative that bugged me was that the lock-on didn't lend itself well to fighting multiple enemies, but that's the case with every game featuring lock-on (KC:D, for example)
Yeah, absolutely. In other words, people who complain about Gothic controls "sucking ass"—skill issue.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seriously, who the hell thought that having to press three different keys just to move a stack of ore from one screen to another was good design?
People who understand the concept of keypress-combinations? People who like using the keyboard?

Even Doom's keyboard only control scheme was more intuitive.
Good job bringing up the control scheme of a game that was designed in a way so even low-IQ people can play it.

Shit, the only reason this gay-ass one-handed control scheme even exists is because the developers initially intended for Gothic to be played with a controller on the Playstation 1, but couldn't get it to run on that hardware.
Fake news. They considered porting it to the Xbos and Playstation 2 after the PC release:
https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1573800-Gothic-1-2-Console-Ports-Xbox-PS2-GC

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I get why people complain about Gothic 1 and 2's control schemes - I just completely disagree with their complaints. Learning and mastering the controls of these games is part of the charm and fun. Gothic 1 and 2 have some of my favorite controls in any action RPG, and the way combat controls and animations tie directly into the RPG mechanics is superb.

Old Hans

Arcane

I agree, but Baldes of Darkness was more of a linear dungeon crawler

Vulpes

Scholar
Gothic uses lock-on for everything
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me that you can't manually aim when engaging in ranged combat. I eagerly await to hear the arguments from the Codex defending this design decision and how it's actually a good thing.

People who understand the concept of keypress-combinations? People who like using the keyboard?
Then why not just use the numpad? I don't know if you ever noticed this, but it's a lot faster to simply type out "745" than it is to press "Ctrl + Shift + D" seven times, "Ctrl + D" four times and "Ctrl + ->" five times.

Good job bringing up the control scheme of a game that was designed in a way so even low-IQ people can play it.
Since when is having intuitive controls a bad thing? Complexity for the sake of complexity only impresses fart-huffing midwits.

Fake news. They considered porting it to the Xbos and Playstation 2 after the PC release:
They were even planning on using force feedback joysticks for melee combat as far back as 1998 when the game was still supposed to have multiplayer, but believe whatever you will.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Then why not just use the numpad? I don't know if you ever noticed this, but it's a lot faster to simply type out "745" than it is to press "Ctrl + Shift + D" seven times, "Ctrl + D" four times and "Ctrl + ->" five times.
You're a moron. The point of Gothic's controls is you don't need to lift your fingers from the same position. Like touch typing.

I love it when people advertise themselves they're ignore-list material like this.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me that you can't manually aim when engaging in ranged combat. I eagerly await to hear the arguments from the Codex defending this design decision and how it's actually a good thing.

What is the argument here, it's not good or bad for that matter it just is. You pretend as if free-aiming is somehow a self evidenced beneficial feature?

In the confines of Gothic it would serve no purpose, so the thought of free-aiming never crossed my mind.

EDIT: The argument is: "Driving cars is fun, why doesn't Gothic have cars?" basically.

Vulpes

Scholar
You're a moron. The point of Gothic's controls is you don't need to lift your fingers from the same position. Like touch typing.

I love it when people advertise themselves they're ignore-list material like this.
Even if we ignore the fact that you use the arrow keys to move around and the numpad is right next to them, you're still using numeric keys to switch between weapons and spells, you stubborn imbecile. There is no good excuse for why moving items around should be such a pain in the ass.

What is the argument here, it's not good or bad for that matter it just is. You pretend as if free-aiming is somehow a self evidenced beneficial feature?

In the confines of Gothic it would serve no purpose, so the thought of free-aiming never crossed my mind.

EDIT: The argument is: "Driving cars is fun, why doesn't Gothic have cars?" basically.
The lack of manual aim takes away all player skill from archery in what's supposed to be an ACTION RPG. In melee combat you have to time your dodges and attacks, while all you do with a bow is press the attack button over and over again, and hope that your Bow skill is high enough to hit your enemies at the range you're firing from. It's the most braindead shit I've ever seen, like it was a last-minute addition to the game. Hell, it's not even a decent targeting system to begin with. It screws you over far more than it helps, especially when you're dealing with a group of enemies. The worst part about it is how it will always fire projectiles at the very centre of your target's collision box, regardless of whatever is in the way. If some orc is on a steep cliff above you or there's some small clutter between the two of you, your character will often times hit that instead of aiming slighty to the left, right, up or down at an exposed part of the body. It's much more infuriating when you're playing as a mage since spell projectiles have a bigger collision mesh.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If they haven't done anything about the terrible VA, the mouthbreather combat, or the ridiculous posturing like when you talk to Diego then this game is going to be a pile of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom