Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gothic Remake Gameplay Trailer

Fargus

Arcane
There are like five women in the entire game used as fucktoys by camp leaders. And they have one line of dialogue.

Perfect game.

Fargus

Arcane
Gomez doesn't have a wife. Velaya, the bitch you see in the intro is the newest addition to his harem so he keeps her locked in his room at all times. I assume when he gets tired of her he will just let his men have a go. When they get tired of her and she becomes too used up they'll just trade her for weed to that stoned moron Uberion.

One of the other ore barons? in the old camp castle says that Gomez gets first go at any new arrivals, hence why she's locked in his room until he gets tired of her.

There's 3 or 4 in the old camp plus Yberion has one.

No idea what that sperg is going on about

Sweeper

Arcane
Honestly, considering it's a remake 20 years down the line, it doesn't look half bad. I was expecting something way, way worse.

Bruno

Novice
The original has a unique, great atmosphere. One of the best games. If they can make this remake without sacrificing the feel of the original it would be nothing less than a miracle.

That the creative employees have been strongly encouraged to play the original gives a slight hope.

The studios focus on AI in creating a living gameworld could potentially turn out good too, groundbreaking if it actually works well.

To remake a manly game in a time of wokeness, you must either have large balls or you succumb to the woke. I pray they have balls.

Peachcurl

Arcane
you must either have large balls or you succumb to the woke. I pray they have balls.
So the black people in the trailer were in the original game too? Or is raceswapping not longer woke anymore?

I don't know about random NPCs, but at least Gorn and Saturas were black (or brown) in the original. What specific character are you referring to as raceswapped?

Vulpes

Scholar
you must either have large balls or you succumb to the woke. I pray they have balls.
So the black people in the trailer were in the original game too? Or is raceswapping not longer woke anymore?
Yes, the Nameless Hero befriends a darkie Southerner from the New Camp during the course of the story.

1722883966982.png

Gundroog

Novice
Looks better than the previous showcase, but they still have this washed out cum filter that I guess is supposed to make it look "more realistic."

Also, some details from Mvideo interview with Reinhard Pollice. I've cut out portions where they either say nothing, or confirm that xyz will be the same as before.

Q: How different will the Gothic Remake be compared to the original?
A
: We also want to close up some of the plot holes. The story will be the same, but have more weight and meaning. As soon as we started working on Gothic 1 Remake, we have first taken a look at the archives from the developers of the original series. It has lots of cool ideas that weren't used or weren't fully realized in the final game.
There are many discrepancies between Gothic 1 and 2, and in making of Gothic 1 Remake, we must make the transition between the first game and the old sequel more smooth and logical. We're not making Gothic 1 Remake while ignoring the story of Gothic 2, so we have to keep the events of the next game in mind.

Q: How much bigger is the Remake's world compared to the world of the original Gothic? What are the most significant changes to the main three camps?
A
: The world of Gothic 1 Remake is roughly 30% larger than the one in the original game.
The camps will be familiar to those who played before, they will recognize them at first sight. However, all areas will look and feel more spacious, because the proportions are now closer to reality. Especially the New Camp and Brotherhood of the Sleeper, which are now complete and filled with content. In the original, most of the activities were in the Old Camp, but we want to fix this and give the players the best game experience, especially if they pick a different camp.

Q: Let's talk about the economy of the game. Is the best equipment still only available through going up the ladder within various factions, and is burglary still the best way to get rich?
A
: [they said the best armor is still locked to factions, but all sorts of weapons can be crafted separately]
Thievery is still in the game, but it's not the main way of making money in the colony. Crafting system, smithing, alchemy, cooking, hunting, and many other things will help you survive. All of this is significantly expanded compared to the original game.

Q: Will magic be available only to mages, or will the spells and scrolls be available to everyone?
A
: Scrolls will be available for everyone, just as before, but we want to expand the mage path for those who want to play a pure mage. Unfortunately, you couldn't role-play as a proper mage in the original, and we want to fix this. Make the game experience more logical and consistent, so that there aren't any moments where the solution to a puzzle requires a bow and arrow, yet you don't have them because you're a mage.

Q: Near the end, the original game put the player in a bunch of dungeons with traps and puzzles, which made it feel almost like Tomb Raider. Will Remake be the same?
A
: If you're talking about the Sleeper's Temple, then yes, you will have to spend a lot of time there. However, the last few chapters of the original game had little side content, so all the player could do was to advance the main story. We want to solve this problem and expand the game experience in the second half of Gothic. In our Remake, there will be plenty of side quests all the way to the end, which will provide the players some distractions from the main quest. As such, you'll have plenty to do above the ground, and not just in the dungeons of Sleeper's Temple.

Personally, while they obviously want to be faithful as possible, whenever a remake from a different team mentions expanding, fixing, or improving upon the original, it's a bit of a red flag. Expanding the world by 30% in particular sounds concerning. The original Gothic already nailed the scale. It felt like you were trapped under the dome, and within this already cramped space, people still managed to further divide it and build up some basic factions and their own mini-governments. It's hard to imagine making everything bigger without losing that feeling.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd say it depends. It could be 30% of area with Archolos-like stuff, or it can be 30% of additions of Beamdog-quality "content"

sosmoflux

Educated
Let's be real. It's not like Gothic 1 was this avant-garde masterpiece where every rock & bit of dialogue was perfectly in place. It was a scrappy euro-jank mess that won us over with it's heart and ideas, moreso than the execution. So let 'em cook. Seems like their heart & ideas are in the right place. Nobody needs a 1:1 graphics-only remaster.

Vulpes

Scholar
From all the screenshots and videos shows so far, we can already guess what some of the new content will be:
-blacksmithing, alchemy, cooking and fletching probably similar to what was in Archolos
-fleshing out the arena as Piranha Bytes intended to do in the cancelled expansion
-adding the abandoned mine that would've served as an optional early-game dungeon
-finishing the half-assed Chromanin questline, which was hinted in the latest trailer at 3:28 when the tower associated with it appears and the narrator says: "...and expanding (on stories) that the fans have known for two decades"

There's tons and tons of more cut content in the original Gothic, so the devs have plenty of ideas to go with. Such as:
-the orc assault on the Old Camp
-witnessing the collapse of the Old Mine at the end of Chapter 3
-joining the attack on the Free Mines if you're part of the Old Camp
-the character of Thora, the Amazonian warrior that arrives with you in the Valley of Mines and who would've been the Nameless Hero's potential love interest
-bandit tasks from Quentin and drug-making quests from Jacko if you're a member of the New Camp
-the choice to become a Guru if you joined the Sect Camp
-stopping the human sacrifices being done by the possessed Sect members

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Let's be real. It's not like Gothic 1 was this avant-garde masterpiece where every rock & bit of dialogue was perfectly in place. It was a scrappy euro-jank mess that won us over with it's heart and ideas, moreso than the execution. So let 'em cook. Seems like their heart & ideas are in the right place. Nobody needs a 1:1 graphics-only remaster.
I agree, I always kinda hated the inventory as well. But the "jank" tag always felt weird to me. In the context of its release, it was a pretty good looking solid game. The comprehensible game world reminds me a lot that small\medium but detailed is always better than shallow big.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

I don't know about random NPCs, but at least Gorn and Saturas were black (or brown) in the original. What specific character are you referring to as raceswapped?
There were quite a few black and brown people in gothic.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gothic 1 is *not* janky, so stop perpetuating that lie. Compare it to contemporary big-budget releases like Morrowind, and realise the vast number of things where Gothic had the upper hand:

- NPC schedules, not just wooden figurines nailed to a fixed location for the entire game.

- The animations are better than in both Morrowind and Oblivion (but certainly not worse).

- No loading screens in Gothic ever, except when a new chapter starts (and maybe on entering the old mine too, can't remember). Everything is streamed from disk just in time. In fact, this streaming technology was the master's thesis of one of the developer's and it was way ahead its time. This is far better technology than the cell-based bullshit in Morrowind where you get a loading screen whenever you enter or exit a hut...

- The control scheme is one of the best ever if you spend 5 minutes learning it, instead of spending 15 minutes shitposting about it. I genuinely want all ARPGs to be like this, entirely playable via keyboard.

Also the hand-crafted content feel versus the copypasted/auto-generated bullshit in Morrowind (ancestral tomb #321 and bandit camp #517, huh?)

Morrowind has lots of cool stuff, like the lore and the scale of the world, but Gothic is just a better and a *lot less janky* game (unless you count reading in-game books as "game").

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom