Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gothic Remake Gameplay Trailer

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
My gawd, I didn't think anything at all could ever outdo the prestigious and well loved Deus Ex's VA (in Hong Kong).....

dutchwench

Novice
The voice acting in Deus Ex has incredible lore implications though. The Lucky Money bartender is Black, has an Aussie accent, sucks off China, and lives in Chinese Hong Kong. He's there for like three minutes but that right there is an entire life story told through a few small details. Miyazaki would piss his pants.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The worst part about it is how it will always fire projectiles at the very centre of your target's collision box, regardless of whatever is in the way. If some orc is on a steep cliff above you or there's some small clutter between the two of you, your character will often times hit that instead of aiming slighty to the left, right, up or down at an exposed part of the body. It's much more infuriating when you're playing as a mage since spell projectiles have a bigger collision mesh.

You just described the skill part that you said before was lacking.

Gothic is just Gothic, nothing about is this is wrong or bad. It's like saying hit scan weapons like the UT sniper is bad, I mean yeah, hardlly balanced does not change the fact that any iteration after that thing sucked.

I am not saying it's the greatest ever, it is, like many things, something that will be iterated on in the remake and frankly, if they make it better? It is at least doubtful.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My gawd, I didn't think anything at all could ever outdo the prestigious and well loved Deus Ex's VA (in Hong Kong).....

It's a localisation issue, the german VA are very good, I heard the polish ones are as well.
Then some people are just more sensitive to VA than others. I literally was never bothered by the VA in any game (well, the whiny narrator voice in Disco Elyisium came close at times, though); I don't hold them to the same standards as movies or TV shows... The English VA in Gothic sounds just fine to me for a *game*. Exaggerated, but then what. Exaggeration is used all the time as a creative tool in theatrical performances as well.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Wait so where the FUCK is the gameplay?
Yeah it's a """gameplay""" trailer, you know. you can look for a second at the supposed """gameplay""". In the Discord one of the developers even rolled their eyes asked at the same question as this was gameplay (of course).

Basically, we can look at it and see that the atmosphere seems good, we have some aspects we can analyze like combat animations being dependent on the skill level (that has also been confirmed and what we see here is all beginner level). AAAAnd that is basically it. That is how it goes, the game might still be utter shit.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
All very well, but honestly I don't see the need for a remake of Gothic 1. I'd much rather get Archolos quality addons, total conversions. This won't really convert others to the Gothic universe as it's clearly got that EuroJank look to it which is already a niche market for stuff like Risen, Elex... and the old guard that adores the games on the G1/G2 engine will always find something to whine about.

Oh and the Polish VO of G1/G2 is great but even the exaggerated English VO had it's charm, for some reason it suited the low poly exaggerated gestures and world. Would certainly have looked more out of place with mocap photorealistic characters and world.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh and the Polish VO of G1/G2 is great but even the exaggerated English VO had it's charm, for some reason it suited the low poly exaggerated gestures and world. Would certainly have looked more out of place with mocap photorealistic characters and world.
That's what I'm saying. Let games be games. Exaggeration in a game is fine as it is in TV shows, theatrical plays, etc.

Fargus

Arcane
Honestly the brit accents from rendered trailer are much more annoying, i'd rather have europeans trying to sound murican than "Oi, do you have bloody loicence for that bloody ore, you twat". Not that i play english version... but still.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So much this, I really do not understand how people can shit on Gothics control scheme it plays incredibly intuitively. [...]

Everything else works absolutely stellar and even with that you have gameplay systems that are fun, tactical in combat, easily learnable and intuitive.
Exactly. It takes a *little bit* of effort to learn the controls initially, I'm not denying that. But if someone cannot get through that minor initial hurdle, well...

Once I learned the controls, I was genuinely delighted how well thought out and intuitive they are.
Guys. Some people, including some codexers, are just genuinely retarded and can't comprehend more than LMB spam. So they call it 'jank' or 'eurojank'. Howard knew the audience and he made Borerrowind exactly for such people, and in addition to that Anglos always feel the need to feel superior, so some Anglos hard cope calling stuff "Eurojank" and such, criticizing games for bugs despite American games having similar, and because the 'Eurojank' tends to be better in everything else.

Not American = wooden barely playable eurotrash jank, lololol shit wooden animation and garbage combat with some combos and skills (i.e. Gothic)
American = muh supersmooth animations with amazing world that feels real and combat that is basically how people fought in reality in medieval times (i.e. Morrowind)

Let's be real. Euros can't compare with Americans. Best they do is some eurojank trash Kingdom Come, while in the meanwhile Americans do masterpieces like Starfield.

Since when is having intuitive controls a bad thing? Complexity for the sake of complexity only impresses fart-huffing midwits.
What an amazing way of unintentionally calling yourself a midwit lmao

Gothic controls are very intuitive, they just don't follow the status quo.

Honestly the brit accents from rendered trailer are much more annoying, i'd rather have europeans trying to sound murican than "Oi, do you have bloody loicence for that bloody ore, you twat". Not that i play english version... but still.
Agreed, that first trailer was disgusting. Either way, English VO isn't even technically bad apart from a few exceptions, there's some great performances in there.

There's actually have different voices in the game (not talking about voice actors). People speak differently, have varying intonations, etc. Can blindfold yourself, listen to a voice, and immediately know what their standing is in the society and their personality.

KeAShizuku

Educated
All very well, but honestly I don't see the need for a remake of Gothic 1. I'd much rather get Archolos quality addons, total conversions. This won't really convert others to the Gothic universe as it's clearly got that EuroJank look to it which is already a niche market for stuff like Risen, Elex... and the old guard that adores the games on the G1/G2 engine will always find something to whine about.

KCD and Stalker popularised Eurojank.

Can't handle German VA though. I want English with German accent Ursala Von Der Leyen style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom