Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition - GTA 3 trilogy remaster

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah the Colombians are hostile throughout the whole game and they exist on both Staunton and Shoreside (so even if Shoreside's map wasn't designed like shit it'd still be impossible there), they can be equipped with AK47s and M16s iirc, both of which melt your car, their territory on Staunton is also literally between the hospital at the northern end of the island and everything else on the island, so they are unavoidable there. The Mafia only exist on Portland (right next door to the hospital there) and are hostile as soon as you unlock Staunton, and they can be equipped with AK47s, M16s and Shotguns at that point which basically instagib your car. When I was doing the gangcars mission for King Courtney on Staunton it took me three attempts to get the Mafia Sentinel out of Portland because as soon as I got in one the Mafia would set it on fire and I'd have to bail, lol. It's just blatantly obvious that Paramedic received little to no QA testing during the development of 3, it is a total afterthought with an arbitrary objective to reach for 100% completion that I doubt anyone at Rockstar actually tried to do with any of the story flags set for hostility of rival gangs.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think I'll ever try going for 100% again in any of the games. I did all that shit 20 years, now I'm just looking to enjoy myself. GTA 3 is much closer to the spirit of the original GTA, which means it's all about the (main) missions and exploration. I did a few side missions in re3 but I wasn't going to grind it to level 12, as I wasn't looking to get the rewards anyway. I think the side mission of the games became more important as the sandbox and sim element of the games grew. To me San Andreas feels like a sandbox game first and mission based game later, VC probably being somewhere in the middle.

GTA 3 lacks the polish of later games, but that has its virtues as well. For example, the Dodo is a lot more fun to fly than any of the aircraft from later games (you can even fly to locations you're not supposed to see, like "Ghost Town"). One unfortunate fact is that polish usually comes together with handholding. Remember that when GTA 3 came out, the physical map that came out with the game wasn't just a cool extra--you were expected to use it, as the in-game map gave you very little information (this was true for the previous GTAs as well). Not only is this more fun, with time you got to memorize the locations of the pickups, car sprays, etc. and you could use that knowledge to plan how to do your mission. The fact that this was expected from the player certainly informs certain design elements. I think this connection is not as strong in VC and SA, although I need to replay them all the way through before I make too many detailed comparisons.

BTW, you should use increased traffic density if you're looking for an additional challenge, not if you want the "authentic" experience of the game as the developers intended it. Personally, I like driving as fast as possible without scratching my car and I prefer dodging peds to running them over (most of the time, anyway), so it definitely adds another layer of difficulty. It looks cool, too.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Yeah, I don't think I'll ever try going for 100% again in any of the games. I did all that shit 20 years, now I'm just looking to enjoy myself. GTA 3 is much closer to the spirit of the original GTA, which means it's all about the (main) missions and exploration. I did a few side missions in re3 but I wasn't going to grind it to level 12, as I wasn't looking to get the rewards anyway. I think the side mission of the games became more important as the sandbox and sim element of the games grew. To me San Andreas feels like a sandbox game first and mission based game later, VC probably being somewhere in the middle.

GTA 3 lacks the polish of later games, but that has its virtues as well. For example, the Dodo is a lot more fun to fly than any of the aircraft from later games (you can even fly to locations you're not supposed to see, like "Ghost Town"). One unfortunate fact is that polish usually comes together with handholding. Remember that when GTA 3 came out, the physical map that came out with the game wasn't just a cool extra--you were expected to use it, as the in-game map gave you very little information (this was true for the previous GTAs as well). Not only is this more fun, with time you got to memorize the locations of the pickups, car sprays, etc. and you could use that knowledge to plan how to do your mission. The fact that this was expected from the player certainly informs certain design elements. I think this connection is not as strong in VC and SA, although I need to replay them all the way through before I make too many detailed comparisons.

BTW, you should use increased traffic density if you're looking for an additional challenge, not if you want the "authentic" experience of the game as the developers intended it. Personally, I like driving as fast as possible without scratching my car and I prefer dodging peds to running them over (most of the time, anyway), so it definitely adds another layer of difficulty. It looks cool, too.

Lol, been trying to do 100% on Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous.

That just takes FOREVER and a day.

So I just said screw it, I'm moving on to Threshold and finish the game lol.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I just finished replaying GTA3 for 100% completion (original steam version with mods, I did not buy """"the definitive edition"""") and while most of the main missions were good and held up, the side content absolutely does not.

The ambulance missions are a travesty if you're trying to get infinite sprint, since the ambulance doesn't repair itself as you complete paramedic levels like in the later games (starting from Vice City it did). So you're basically navigating a minefield in a thing that handles like shit and can flip at any time and lose you an hour of what is essentially grinding.

Shoreside Vale as a whole in particular is designed like absolute dogshit for all of its side content, and is only used in a handful of main missions where it works just well enough. Paramedic may as well be impossible there, Firefighter and Vigilante barely fucking work and you'll more often than not just be stopping and starting the mission until you get an objective close enough to reach in the time it gives you. If you try to do streaks in Firefighter and Vigilante in Shoreside the game will consistently throw you some absolutely impossible tasks like "get to this objective that is 3 minutes of driving away in 1 minute of time".

Vice City in comparison has a far higher level of polish overall.

Funny thing, I did 100% on all 3D games in 2018. In Vice City I actually found I already had a 100% complete save from 2014. I honestly can't think of any situation where I would do these ever again. I don't even want to think about how often I ragequit some of the vehicle stunt missions, especially in 3 and SA.

I was watching this video that is partly related to the GTA series. Pretty interesting how he mentions that the games added a mostly linear storyline (you can do the missions in a different order, but it all leads to the same end) as the backbone for essentially nonlinear games.

As much as I liked messing around and exploring in all these games initially, I never played them for much longer after I completed the storyline, let alone 100%. Theoretically it can be fun for a while: you've finally got all the weapons, bonuses, special vehicles, etc. Now you can cause mayhem with your tank/Apache/Harrier, fight off the whole army by yourself... Except what happens in reality is I do this once for about 15 minutes, then drop the game, and then a few weeks later I realise I've stopped playing and I uninstall it. Or like how in SA you can do anything you want with CJ, you can let him get fat, but this doesn't give you anything except some NPCs making fun of you for being a fat fuck, and I think one girlfriend? Otherwise there's basically no reason not to max out muscle and stamina every single time.

There's not really a solution to this, it is what it is. You do get tons of content along the way, and if you've gotten 100%, you've basically milked the game for everything it has anyway. Still it's a slight flaw if you forget for a moment the awesome achievement that these games were 15-20 years ago.

Zlaja

Arcane
1996b58c9ef5a0d477d9d35fe780f1ab0a95172bb9902c0d2b822a4894dcca6f.png

Ah, yes very Korean.

Almost all those are Indian names. And the shill in this thread, poster Abhay, is also from India.

#notallindians

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
If these guys are like the Indian developers I've worked with, they have been paid ten times less than a local studio and have delivered right on time a product working exactly according to the specs.
Specs included increasing texture resolution and polygon count ? Done and done.

I mean, we can flak the Indian all we want, but anybody who've dipped his toes in IT in the last 15 years know whatever job they are outsourced will be botched, and the only reason they are on the market is because so many companies are much ok with paying discount on development and delivering a terrible product.

Just played this mission recently in reVC and laughing my ass off at this poor guy trying to pass it in the Dinesh Edition. It's just amazing how many little details are off. Off the top of my head:

- Cars doesn't emit smoke so you don't know how close they are to catching fire (they also seem to explode faster).
- Companion AI is suicidal. You see Lance going out on his own to fight cops and he hangs around burning cars.
- After setting the bomb, timer seems slightly random; also randomly kills the player outside the area of explosion once.
- Upside down cars spawning right at area transition, insta-killing the player.
- FBI Jeeps are now freakishly fast for some reason and are impossible to dodge.

No way this will ever be fixed, lol.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only reason for that being that it was released twice on two generations of consoles, and sheeple bought it twice.
Twice? You're forgetting that they postponed the PC version even further, releasing it half a year after the second (Xbone/PS4) release.
People bought it three times. :takemymoney:

Ash

Arcane
Thrice? You're forgetting the "Enhanced" version release which added first person mode among other things, none of them fixing the core dumpster fire that is the game design overall.

Dumpster divers bought it four times :takemymoney:

I'm not posting the link to the enhanced edition trailer; not giving them any undeserved clicks. As if it matters at this point...

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Spells and illusions? Why not play for the game objectives, rules, interactions, challenges, engagement...somewhere down the line gameplay started being secondary to immersion, atmosphere, story, realism, graphics.

what Gilius Thunderhead has mentioned is precise/spot-on/important.

Video games are the domain/craft/art/varient of illusion. Illusion was the primary goal/objective/reach limited by the technology/tools available at given time/era/period, thus earlier games required more abstraction(which make the player fill the gaps). All the concepts mentioned:"the game objectives, rules, interactions, challenges, engagement" require the illusion as its spark/beginning/start and end/goal/achievement. The better these things are, the better is the illusion and likewise the game is.

Competitive video games, mentioned as most objective ,engaging and challenging among games; stimulates stress which secretes adrenaline which is a function to survive a dangerous situation by making one more capable(faster, stronger, more aware) for a "Fight or Flight" response, yet regardless of the game's match outcome, one is still alive, why? the answer is illusion. There was no danger to begin thus no need to secretes/activate/release adrenaline, the body was deceived. The same applies to horror games. The conclusion: even the games challenges and objective require illusion to fuel them, despite some requiring more or less of it.

Speed runner, some DLC(such as cosmetics), LGBT themes and even grinding, all often mentioned as degeneracy, are often detrimental/negative/bad to the games despite them too being objective, because they shatter the illusion the video game provides. They make "immersion, atmosphere, story, realism, graphics" secondary or even more accurately the least.

The medium was named Video Games not Game Videos.
Think of names such as Space Wars, what image and thus the illusion they inspire.
It is thank to the strive for illusion and its improvement, better form that we have games such as Fallout (1997), the illusion that the vault people are running out of water in a wasteland. additional examples: Demon's/Dark Souls, Dragon Dogma,Mount & Blade ,Age of Empires, Kingdom Come Deliverance, GTA 3... etc.
It is a misconception to think illusion is secondary, Otherwise games would not delve apart from type of games such as Tetris.

*made bold to ease the eyes for reading.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
By the way, apparently the horrible Remaster of the GTA Trilogy surprisingly sold almost 10 million copies. Source is the latest Investor Report from Take-Two. The sales figures are up 5 million copies for GTA V specifically and 15 million for the entire franchise in comparison to the last report that got released before the Remaster hit the shelves.

By the way, apparently the horrible Remaster of the GTA Trilogy surprisingly sold almost 10 million copies. Source is the latest Investor Report from Take-Two. The sales figures are up 5 million copies for GTA V specifically and 15 million for the entire franchise in comparison to the last report that got released before the Remaster hit the shelves.

There is nothing even slightly surprising about that.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
What the actual fuck?

toughasnails

What the actual fuck?
The game had to be literally unplayable for that NOT to happen (it skirted unplayability on Switch and with PS5 version of GTA3 but it wasn't quite there lol).
GTA is a pop culture item. Most people who bought this don't actually read or care to read coverage of games, especially not message boards, YT reviewers and such. They'll buy GTA because it's GTA. Simple as.

ferratilis

Magister
Can confirm. I have friends who will buy a PlayStation no matter what, just because it's Sony, and the only games they'll buy in its entire lifespan are Fifa, GTA, CoD, maybe some NBA game or the like. They don't care about reviews, whether it's good or bad, what shitty monetization scheme it has. It comes out, they get it, that's it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom