Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition - GTA 3 trilogy remaster

I love the golden generation of GTA to bits, but I find it hard to go back to. Very shallow, repetitive gameplay for the most part. It's still a lot of fun to revisit old places, blow up stuff and and run away from the cops, but it wears out fast.

Adding a difficulty mode and redesigning missions to make them more open would make it worthwhile for me. Otherwise, I'll pass. Better graphics don't cut it, I'm actually very fond of that era of 3D.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I posted it before and I'll post here again, this site contains modpacks for GTA3, VC, SA, 4, Bully, Manhunt, the Warriors and packs of Chinatown wars, VCS, and LCS with emulator included. Might be worth downloading everything and saving somewhere before Take-Two comes after them, as well.
https://www.definitive-edition-project.com/files

It might also be a good idea to download copies of these games as well, because you can bet your ass all of them will disappear from Steam when their respective remasters come out.

From GI:
To make way for the collection, Rockstar has also announced that it's removing existing versions of each game from digital stores next week.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...ogy-the-definitive-edition-and-more-coming-so

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition and More Coming Soon
Plus Details on Upcoming Special Events and Updates in GTA Online

Later this month marks a very special anniversary for Rockstar Games: 20 years since the original release of Grand Theft Auto III — the game that set players loose in the sprawling, three-dimensional metropolis of Liberty City with a new and unprecedented sense of freedom and immersion. In addition to carving a new path for the open world genre, Grand Theft Auto III established Grand Theft Auto as a cultural phenomenon, alongside its two subsequent — and equally legendary — entries in the series, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

We’d like to extend a heartfelt thank you to all the Grand Theft Auto fans who have supported the games over the past two decades. Your love and appreciation for these games has helped push the Grand Theft Auto series forward with every iteration.

852cd36dd27f7a71143a5fb17008e9d4aa9fc944.jpg

In honor of the upcoming anniversary, today we are excited to announce that all three games will be coming to current generation platforms later this year in Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and the Rockstar Games Launcher on PC. Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will feature across-the-board upgrades including graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements for all three titles, while still maintaining the classic look and feel of the originals. We’re extremely excited to share more about these groundbreaking titles in the coming weeks — stay tuned!

To prepare for launch, we will begin removing existing versions of the classic titles from digital retailers next week. For more information, please visit Rockstar Games Support. In addition, Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will be coming to iOS and Android in the first half of 2022.

Plus, as part of the 20th anniversary celebration for GTAIII, look for a cavalcade of special gear to collect in Grand Theft Auto Online throughout upcoming events this Fall, including commemorative clothing and liveries.

61b96e6b1b99b25fbfef189a2f0ffe6d360157df.jpg

We’ll have more details on how to acquire these in the weeks ahead as part of our ongoing events in GTA Online. This month’s GTA Online events will also have some special surprises — including the upcoming possibility of some unusual activity occurring in and around Southern San Andreas...

We are also continuing to improve and evolve GTA Online. As you may have noticed, we recently began cycling select Adversary Modes and Player Jobs in and out of the game. GTA Online offers a hugely diverse array of gameplay, hosting over 1,000 Rockstar-created Jobs and tens of millions more player-created Jobs since launch. By beginning to cycle the Rockstar-created Jobs in and out of the game over time, not only will we be freeing up space for new missions and modes in the future, but we are also improving the game’s matchmaking by focusing the community on a more streamlined list of Jobs from week-to-week.

This will also allow us to bring back Jobs at various times for special or seasonal events and help reduce some of the lesser-liked Jobs, as well as helping surface some of our slept-on classics or the community’s quirkier favorites alongside special bonuses, like this past week’s return of Offense Defense, Sumo, and more.

We are also looking at ways to improve the GTA Online experience for new and returning players in the upcoming release of GTA Online for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S next March – stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for details on this and more information about the expanded and enhanced releases of GTAV and GTA Online in the months to come.

And later this year, get ready to go on an exciting new adventure in GTA Online as some well-known contacts and familiar friends need your help in expanding their “legit business” — with many more surprises soon to be revealed!

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'd pick this up for a Vice City remaster, in theory. I don't know if that game's ancient gameplay will fit a new graphics overhaul.

Honestly, these games need more than just some sprucing up in the graphics department.

They were a fun romp at the time, and have their charm, but most mobile games have more depth these days.

Perhaps a Vice City remake and re-imagine, should have been considered, instead of a "remaster" - but the reason for this is just to sell these games on the latest Xbox and PS and Nintendo to the kids who never played them before or only heard about them from their elder siblings (or parents!)

So yeah, not expecting much from this, but I'm always hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Azdul

Magister
On top of the compilations, 3 and VC have fully reversed versions. Not sure to what extent this remaster makes them obsolete. https://github.com/td512/re3 https://github.com/td512/re3/tree/miami
Take 2 had sued people responsible for this project, and took it down with multiple DMCA strikes. That's one way to make official remasters relevant.

I definitely won't be buying official remasters, not only because Take 2 / Rockstar are assholes, but also because official remasters will have cut down track list. Knowing them - they will rather remove some tracks than pay for them again.

Falksi

Arcane
Vice City was just phenomenal, but they need to recognize that one of the things which made it so good was it's almost surreal 80's vibe. If concentrate on pure realism it's gonna lose that. It needs that Neon magic to stay.

GTA 3 was bland, and I couldn't give a fuck about Nig-nog-gangsta wannabees playing around with bollocks RPG-lite shit in San Andreas. So whatever they do with the other two games doesn't really interest me.

Although that said, I do guess that GTA 3's fairly bland base means they could spice it up a bit. Maybe go full-dark ala Taxi Driver?

Last edited:
Certainly remastered the requirements.

Minimum requirements:
  • Intel Core i5-2700K / AMD FX-6300
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 45 GB Storage Space
  • Windows 10
Recommended:
  • Intel Core i7-6600K / AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB / AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 45 GB Storage Space
  • Windows 10

At least the censorship will be entertaining.

ViceCity.jpg

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
I doubt they'll even bother porting VCS's swimming to VC. Who thought setting a game in not-Miami and making the player character unable to swim was a good idea?

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
I am very happy that I bought the original trilogy on sale a month back and will now not have to pay an inflated price for something that was already perfect in the first place.

Ash

Arcane
I love the golden generation of GTA to bits, but I find it hard to go back to. Very shallow, repetitive gameplay for the most part..

Compared to....what? RPGs? Sure. However in the open world action genre San Andreas is one of the more notable games in this regard. Certainly way more gameplay depth and complexity to GTAV/RDR2 and the majority of the modern shit.
If you just went back to GTA3 and gave up I could understand, it is a bit barebones, never thought much of it back in the day and still don't, but with each sequel they got deeper and more complex culminating with San Andreas and then it was all decline from there. That said, San Andreas is by no means this deep complex highly engaging game, and the combat really needs a polish up. but I struggle to think of much of anything better in the open word action genre (unless you bring RPG into the mix). Stalker and The Saboteur would be worthy competitors I suppose. I like a nu Far Cry or two but it has a lot of popamole DNA in it.

Also, golden GTA trilogy has a massive modding community...the core of the games is great in concept and mostly good in execution, but in need of updates to be truly great. You should delve into that.

They were a fun romp at the time, and have their charm, but most mobile games have more depth these days.

Name some of these games. Mobile games? WTF are you smoking? No, forget that just name some PC or console games from the last century that make classic GTA trilogy gameplay redundant. I'd love to hear all the great games I've been missing. Hell, it doesn't even have to be open world, just any action game. Shit got dumbed down relentlessly.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
What in the fuck are these requirements?

From the same source.
Three iconic cities, three epic stories. Play the genre-defining classics of the original Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas updated for a new generation, now with across-the-board enhancements including brilliant new lighting and environmental upgrades, high-resolution textures, increased draw distances, Grand Theft Auto V-style controls and targeting, and much more, bringing these beloved worlds to life with all new levels of detail.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I wonder how many songs they will lose this time and why video game publishers are so much worse at the whole copyright thing than movie studios. Even the most indie of movies keep their licensed songs when they get some anniversary remaster or whatever. I guess game publishers are just cheapskates.

Ash

Arcane
Eh, I think you're being a little harsh in this particular instance. Vice City and San Andreas had an absolute shit ton of licensed music. Sounds like a logistical nightmare. A movie has what, two on average?

I don't forgive much decline, but removal of songs, as bad as that would be, I could at least understand in this case and this case only. If the reasons were justified.

EruDaan

Arcane
=> "Hey! Hey, Rockstar!"

=> "Uhm, yes?"

=>"What about another GTA Game?"

=> "Wow! Good you asked! Boy, have we good news for you!"

=> "REALLY? Woooooooooooooooow *soyface* Must be the bestest day of my life!"

=> "A graphics with minor features added remaster of GTA 3, Vice City an SA! BUUUUT - GTA Online gets new features i.e. weapon & car skins and is loved and played by millions!"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I doubt they'll even bother porting VCS's swimming to VC. Who thought setting a game in not-Miami and making the player character unable to swim was a good idea?

It wasn't yet worth the resource cost of doing the animations, plus Tommy's from New York, why would he know how to swim? :M

Ash

Arcane
Meh. It added interesting difficulty. I'd only want them to add swimming if they also add swimming-related design as they would have if the game was designed with swimming in mind in the first place, which isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't think VC's lack of swimming added any meaningful difficulty. There's probably only a handful of parts in the game where falling in the water as a hazard as part of a route on a mission doesn't feel cheap or unfair. The majority of your deaths to the water in VC and GTA3 is when you're making clunky precarious jumps between a dock and a boat floating alongside and you fall between the two, it's just a waste of time if anything.

Ash

Arcane
So just remove pitfalls and spike traps from games because "they're cheap". if it were lava surrounding vice city you would not second guess it, you just have the usual muh realism brain parasite. The water was for the most part the ONLY risk when doing stunt jumps in cars, the only risk when driving around on missions if there isn't cops/gangs or a time limit involved, and that definitely is meaningful and thrilling stuff.
Also gotta love the notion that it is cheap or unfair. First time, sure, because it is not expected because muh realism, but after that you know the rules. It's your fault in almost all cases, unless some physics fuckery happens.

At best I would accept -50hp and spawning at some nearby docks with a recue boat neaby implying you got rescued, which you can then steal to get back to where you were if desired. Still major risk, but also a touch of lenience.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
No, I don't have a muh realism brain parasite. I just think anything the lack of swimming added was actually pointless and did not add to the game in any meaningfully positive way. "You wouldn't be saying this if vice city was surrounded with lava check and mate thanks for the reddit gold!!" Really dude, get over yourself and accept that people can have opinions that differ from your own for once in your life.

Ash

Arcane
I'm so sorry for gatekeeping from your decline.

While we're at it lets just make everything appear on the map including kill frenzies, add a mission skip button after 3 fails, not take away your stuff when you die, make the cops piss easy to evade, let's go the full GTAV.

As for muh opinions. Sure when you give them instead of factually incorrect statements:

I just think anything the lack of swimming added was actually pointless

Making exploration, in-between driving segments in missions, and stunt jumps actually have risks and consequences is not pointless, there is in fact a point as I have explained. It's one of a handful of things that makes Vice City not bland popamole (gameplay-wise). It's bad enough already there is terrible auto aim combat.
Water death was a thing from GTA1 all the way until San Andreas (which added swimming, but also a lot of swimming-based content alongside to make it not shallow). It wasn't not-present because of technology or budget constraints, it wasn't present by design. Now the games are all about realism and are bland as fuck.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom