Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by JudasIscariot, Apr 16, 2012.

1. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Been playing it for the past day and am enjoying it. The only other Diablo-like that I like is Diablo 1, and this is like the Diablo 2 that I wanted. I made a Demolitionist, and am focusing on firestrike + bombs. At first I couldn't figure out why anyone would use one handed guns over two-handed since the damage is so much lower and it seemed like I wasn't able to dual wield one handed guns, but apparently there is an item that lets you do that. I already took one of the skills focused on two-handed guns though so I suppose I will stick with rifles. The soundtrack is also really good.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Yeah it definitely feels like D2/1. Though i wish i could change fonts and color coding, they look fucking gross.

^ Top  
  3. DakaSha V Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Neither diablo 2 nor this feels like diablo 1, nerds

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Well GD feels more like D1 than D2 did. But PoE feels more like D2 than GD does.

^ Top  
  5. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, that's true. I just meant it would have made more sense if Diablo 2 had been more like Grim Dawn in the visuals and general world design department, rather than the fucking mess that it was. But then I'm still only in the first area so maybe Grim Dawn also becomes filled with jungle tribes and Himalayan mountain people later on.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Dual 1H is probably better with Firestrike (there are indeed a number of items/relics that let you dual wield pistols, and a skill for Inquisitors) just because of the much higher attack speed causing mass projectile spam once you max Brimstone, but there are a few really good rifles as well.

^ Top  
  7. DakaSha V Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I didnt play past the third act but up until then it stays reasonable. Bland even

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    GD is about roaming a realistic countryside, i.e. featureless and samey fields, swamps, forests and small villages dotted here and there. It really is bland in that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Nothing about Grim Dawn's visual style or art direction popped out to me and made me think, "Wow this is such a cool setting." It's very generic, much like PoE and most other Diablolikes.

Even though Diablo 2 was nowhere near as good as Diablo 1 when it comes to those things, it still felt like it had its own distinct style and had much more interesting places than a game like Grim Dawn. This is one of those games you could play 500 hours of and somehow still forget what half of it is like.

• Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. deama Liturgist

deama
    Anyone know if there are any mods that uncap the skill caps(or raise them)? So being able to put in 50 points into a skill instead of 10 or whatever it's cap was before.

^ Top  
  11. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Still enjoying the game, but it feels far too easy. I'm playing on Normal, obviously since its my first playthrough I haven't unlocked the additional difficulties, but with the Veteran mode turned on yet I think I've only died 2 or 3 times overall, and those were because I basically got one shotted out of the blue. Is the game more challenging, in a good way, on the higher difficulties?

^ Top  
  12. DakaSha V Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I never played on anything under the hardest difficulty that you can first select (veteran i think), and that was still quite easy. (I played on hardcore)
    Its known that grim dawn is piss easy garbage on normal. forgot to tell you lol

^ Top  
  13. Tito Anic Magister Shitposter

Tito Anic
    It is not hard if you roll correct build. If you do not specialize - you will have problems with certain mobs, bosses.

^ Top  
  14. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    The expansion content is also a noticeable increase in difficulty, even on Veteran. You have to get at least poison resistance to not be frustrated by the swamp (yes, another one).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zakhad Savant

Zakhad
    As well as the factors mentioned above, you might find more challenge in the "rogue-like" challenge dungeons, of which there are presently four (one each for undead, Aetherials, Chthonians, and beasts). But it still depends on build, gear, etc.

^ Top  
  16. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion
    I started playing the Reign of Terror mod with a friend. It's basically a 1-man project to eventually bring all of D2 + LoD into the Grim Dawn engine, and let me tell you the dude is phenomenal. Every zone is unique, and is far more atmospheric than even the original. All voice acting, and music has been imported from D2. Played on Veteran with my buddy, and we ended up getting our shit pushed in more than we'd like. Andariel was harder than any GD or D2 boss I can recall. Unfortunately, he's only approx. 50 - 60% finished with Act 2, and ran into some copyright issues with Blizzard in the past, but he seems to have worked around them, and gotten a 2nd modder to help him finish up faster. I think the Black Marsh may have been my favorite zone we've currently completed, which is odd, since I fucking hated it in the original.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47624

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Why D2, though, D1 would've been much better.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Accidentally sold my really OP gun that I had been using for like 7 levels without finding anything better. Didn't realize it until I had walked away from the store :|
    Found one of the skeleton key dungeons and it's fairly challenging compared to the other areas so at least that's nice.

^ Top  
  19. Tito Anic Magister Shitposter

Tito Anic
    Cant you buy it back from the store?

^ Top  
  20. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    As far as I can tell its gone once you leave the store. You can only buy stuff back while the store window is open.

^ Top  
  21. Zakhad Savant

Zakhad
    You're still in early-ish levels right? pre-50? The game has a real hurdle at 50 where a lot of good gear becomes available and levelling slows down at the same time (both in terms of skill points you earn and how fast you go up levels). So good gear pre-50 is often trash a short while after.

The game has a couple of odd hurdles like that, too much gear all with the same exact level cap. Really noticeable when you have multiple characters, since with later alt characters, at level 50 you suddenly equip ten epic items from the communal stash stash and start roflstomping everything.

^ Top  
  22. Okagron Prophet

Okagron
    The stuff you sell at the vendor only disappears if you teleport to another area. If you sell something, leave the store and then come back , it still will have the stuff you sold. The stuff you sell is in the tab on the right at the vendor you sold the stuff.

Veteran and Elite in the base game are pretty lenient when it comes to difficulty, at least in the story mandatory areas. There is a noticeable jump in difficulty in the expansion on any difficulty though.

^ Top  
  23. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Turns out I'm retarded. The gun had ended up in the extra bag I had gotten earlier from a quest, which I didn't realize was a separate, alternate bag (I thought it had just expanded the default bag size). Really though all the icons and texts in this game are so small I feel like I am going blind while playing it. I ended up getting better a gun in the skeleton key dungeon though, and then died to one of the bosses.

^ Top  
  24. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    so whens the the second expansion coming out?

^ Top  
  25. Zakhad Savant

Zakhad
    Second half of 2018, they said, so I assume with the requisite delay it'll be out early next year.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.