Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

garren

Arcane
Patron
You have to combine three smaller scavenged plating parts into one bigger one. When you hover over the part it says "partial component - 1 / 3".

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm really enjoying it so far and have found it 'click' far more with me than PoE or Diablo III (or even II) though I have a feeling my warder build is less than optimal (can you make it on overwhelmingly Physical damage alone?) and a little lacking in AoE beyond Blitz.

Stupid question but how the hell do I add completed components? I got the arcane blacksmith back to camp (looking at the wiki wish I'd gone with the other one since my damage is physical not arcane) but dragging components to the screen anywhere or shift clicking doesn't work.
There is a button that autocomplete reagents on the inventory too.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Umm, I don't really comprehend how the Celestial Powers work I think.
I have to attach it to a skill. So does this Celestial Power only activate when that skill is also active at the moment?

Tried this, found out that I can't stand these Diablo2-likes anymore.

The whole game is just a stat mess where nothing seems meaningful. When I upgrade a piece of my armor to something that's 4x as powerful, I think I should feel it. I don't. Resistances are the same deal. Somehow I've reached the endgame and not only have I not found a place where they matter, I still can't even remember what they are. Some I don't even know what they do. WTF is a "vitality resistance"? If I can sail through a game neither interacting with nor even noticing these systems, what place do they have?

The enemies are also lame. Visually they look fine, but I can't find a single enemy that displays any memorable AI beyond simply "move into range->attack". 90% of the enemies in Diablo 1 have something to define them in terms of movement or attack patterns, and even in Diablo 2 there's probably 20% of enemies that fit this criteria. In Grim Dawn you fight cosmic abominations next to Dire Mosquitoes and if the developers acidentally transposed the models and sound effects in a patch you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Only having about 3 real abilities per class sucks. Sure, there were only about 4-5ish max abilities per class that were end-game viable in Diablo 2, but at least that gave some sense of progression and in any case it was an issue that should have been fixed by adding more, balanced skills, not making the majority of skill points just thrown into passive bonuses.

Feels like Diablo 2 took the worst parts of Diablo 1 to expand on and now the genre as a whole is taking the worst parts of Diablo 2 to make a game out of. Not just applying to Grim Dawn but to the genre as a whole.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Agreed on the enemies part but at least different enemy types fight each other. Not like in other games where they seem to be part of a larger conspiracy against you, boars and mosquitoes and skeletons alike.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lol, Diablo 1 and enemies with memorable AI and "defining movement and attack patterns".

Grim Dawn has:
- enemies that hang back and summon bunch of demons
- enemies that throw nets at you to immobilize you
- enemies that heal/buff other enemies
- enemies that reflect damage
- enemies that perform powerful AOE magic
- enemies that throw acid at the floor
- enemies that turn slow but charge at you

etc. etc. etc.

Diablo 1 was extremely simple game with limited amount of things going on for it. The Butcherer is memorable because it was the first time you met a boss like that. Not because of some special genius design. If you add a butcherer to your roguelike today, it will be "without any memorable AI", no matter how complex behaviour patterns you add to it.

Today's roguelikes try to hide the extreme shallowness of the design by adding tons of fluff on top of it all, with the hopes that people won't come to realize that they are simply mashing buttons and collecting loot for the nth time.

made

Arcane
different enemy types fight each other.
This is indeed quite ingenious and adds a lot to my immershun. :mrpresident:

I don't even remember the last game I played where opposing factions visibly combat each other.

But on the AI part, only the healers feel like they make a difference if you fail to knock them out first. I was fighting a boss once and a random witchdoctor rushed to his aid. Healed him to full in one spell. :D

garren

Arcane
Patron
Well on the easiest difficulty I didn't really notice almost any difference either except the motherfucking healers I missed that healed almost half dead bosses back to full :lol:

On higher difficulties though, that stuff starts to matter. I can't stand in any pools without being fucked in the ass by the dmg and/or debuff it gives me. I'm a not that tanky sorcerer so any immobilization shit will kill me quickly if I don't pay attention. Summoners need to be killed first before i'm swarmed by tons of mobs that zerg me down. Elite mobs that charge are a pain in the ass, can't stay still for a second, etc. etc.

The easiest difficulty doesn't matter that much unless you completely fuck up your build.

Also you HAVE to stack up resistances on higher difficulties or you will feel the pain.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played for a few hours. Does seem fun so far.
But I'll have to play for many hours more to see if I prefer this or Path Of Exile.

The quest system and story I already like more in Grim Dawn, it tries at least to do a little bit more and add some depth and immersion to the whole thing.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
What I miss in this game are gap closing abilities. By perusing grimcalc I found just one, belonging to the nightblade class. The rest have to run around pools of aoe like the plebs they are.

made

Arcane
U guys on Nvidia or AMD's Crimson driver? No freezes or crashes at all here, Radion 380 with Cata 15.7.1.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Tried this, found out that I can't stand these Diablo2-likes anymore.

The whole game is just a stat mess where nothing seems meaningful. When I upgrade a piece of my armor to something that's 4x as powerful, I think I should feel it. I don't. Resistances are the same deal. Somehow I've reached the endgame and not only have I not found a place where they matter, I still can't even remember what they are. Some I don't even know what they do. WTF is a "vitality resistance"? If I can sail through a game neither interacting with nor even noticing these systems, what place do they have?

The enemies are also lame. Visually they look fine, but I can't find a single enemy that displays any memorable AI beyond simply "move into range->attack". 90% of the enemies in Diablo 1 have something to define them in terms of movement or attack patterns, and even in Diablo 2 there's probably 20% of enemies that fit this criteria. In Grim Dawn you fight cosmic abominations next to Dire Mosquitoes and if the developers acidentally transposed the models and sound effects in a patch you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Only having about 3 real abilities per class sucks. Sure, there were only about 4-5ish max abilities per class that were end-game viable in Diablo 2, but at least that gave some sense of progression and in any case it was an issue that should have been fixed by adding more, balanced skills, not making the majority of skill points just thrown into passive bonuses.

Feels like Diablo 2 took the worst parts of Diablo 1 to expand on and now the genre as a whole is taking the worst parts of Diablo 2 to make a game out of. Not just applying to Grim Dawn but to the genre as a whole.
Well this is H&S rpg, equipment gives bonuses that keep you relevant vs higher level enemies, not OP vs everyone. Vitality Resistance helps vs many life draining abilities. If you see a red circle on the floor that is Vitality attack. Also if you start pulsating red and lose health while that happens that is also vitality attack.

If you are playing on Normal nobody is really dangerous. Even on Veteran they will only become somewhat dangerous in Act 2 and beyond.

There are more than 3 abilities. Also you combine two classes. But if you took a noob trap (like most new players) and went for Demolitionist with gun and Fire Strike it will seem like you are using same 1-2 skills all the time. I say trap not because character is bad or underpowered but because it is boring to play.

Diablo 2 had way less progression. You took skills because of synergy (and before that you played with 1 point in skills because everyone else was wasting it) and used whatever. In endgame you used 2 skills, one main and one for those immune to your main skill.
What I miss in this game are gap closing abilities. By perusing grimcalc I found just one, belonging to the nightblade class. The rest have to run around pools of aoe like the plebs they are.
Nightblade has one, Soldier has one and there is a weapon component that you can add to any weapon and gives you an active ability that works like blink strike. Anyone can use that one.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'll leave it aside for a bit until they fix the freezing problem. It's very unfortunate.
When you got game running, open task manager, find grim dawn process, right click it and set CPU affinity to 1. It should remove freezing but the game will run a bit worse FPS wise.

RuySan

Augur
When you got game running, open task manager, find grim dawn process, right click it and set CPU affinity to 1. It should remove freezing but the game will run a bit worse FPS wise.
I have a dual core processor from 2008 so losing performance is not really an option. In the meanwhile I've returned to path of exile, and although it's definitely the better game, its close zooming is quite annoying

ortucis

Prophet
Yeah, good taste.

What build are you using? If you're getting legendaries you are at least lvl 50+ and if you are still using mostly yellows something is really off. By that level you should be using almost green+ exclusively sans for maybe a very unlucky drop rate for a specific slot. Are you checking the faction sellers as well? They sell really fantastic greens that are also varied for a lot of different builds. Between the 4 of them you should be able to buy at least a couple green upgrades.

Yeah, if he's getting yellow items mostly, then definitely something wrong with the game, probably a bug.

I am getting a fuckload of yellow but every 10-15 mins I get a blue or green item as well. Then again, I just run upto every boss I can find, no matter how high they are in level, and hit them with my Shaman chain lighting strike. It's so fun.

Also, those crystals with aethar damage (or is it acid/poison?) stand no chance against Shaman. Just do a chain lighting strike and the crystals explode with every zombie around them. The bigger one's take a bit more beating but I just send my minion into the acid to destroy while I move in and out doing chain lighting damage.

Some I don't even know what they do. WTF is a "vitality resistance"?

Game does a very bad job of explaining a lot of things. Vitality damage is done by some boss enemies (I haven't noticed smaller enemies doing it, maybe they do) when your health just starts draining. You will hear loud thumping sound with every drain too. During the battles, it basically means you have to time your health potion consumption during such attacks, or risk dying if you have a small health bar/numbers. It's actually pretty challenging, had me running away trying to use potions a lot of time.

PS: Game is running fine for me maxed out on my 660Ti (2600K).

If you are using nVidia, remember to set the game profile to use Maximum performance (for Power management) and set the Vsync to adaptive. For a lot of people, power management is the problem.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, good taste.

What build are you using? If you're getting legendaries you are at least lvl 50+ and if you are still using mostly yellows something is really off. By that level you should be using almost green+ exclusively sans for maybe a very unlucky drop rate for a specific slot. Are you checking the faction sellers as well? They sell really fantastic greens that are also varied for a lot of different builds. Between the 4 of them you should be able to buy at least a couple green upgrades.

Yeah, if he's getting yellow items mostly, then definitely something wrong with the game, probably a bug.

I am getting a fuckload of yellow but every 10-15 mins I get a blue or green item as well. Then again, I just run upto every boss I can find, no matter how high they are in level, and hit them with my Shaman chain lighting strike. It's so fun.

Also, those crystals with aethar damage (or is it acid/poison?) stand no chance against Shaman. Just do a chain lighting strike and the crystals explode with every zombie around them. The bigger one's take a bit more beating but I just send my minion into the acid to destroy while I move in and out doing chain lighting damage.

Game does a very bad job of explaining a lot of things. Vitality damage is done by some boss enemies (I haven't noticed smaller enemies doing it, maybe they do) when your health just starts draining. You will hear loud thumping sound with every drain too. During the battles, it basically means you have to time your health potion consumption during such attacks, or risk dying if you have a small health bar/numbers. It's actually pretty challenging, had me running away trying to use potions a lot of time.

PS: Game is running fine for me maxed out on my 660Ti (2600K).

If you are using nVidia, remember to set the game profile to use Maximum performance (for Power management) and set the Vsync to adaptive. For a lot of people, power management is the problem.
There is nothing wrong with number of green and blue drops, just they don't drop with stats I want for my build.

As for performance, you said fine which can mean a lot of different things to different people. Do you have constant 60FPS in the game? Even on Plains of Strife when fighting 20 enemies at same time?

ortucis

Prophet
As for performance, you said fine which can mean a lot of different things to different people. Do you have constant 60FPS in the game? Even on Plains of Strife when fighting 20 enemies at same time?

Yes, getting 55-60 FPS everywhere. When fighting so many enemies, there IS a slowdown as the game goes down to 40-45 FPS, but it's still playable. I kill a few enemies and the FPS goes up. Seems like optimization problem (LOD related?) but nothing that has resulted in unplayable game or resulted in a crash (for me, personally). Then again, I am using 660Ti, it's ancient so I am guessing people with better GPU's, like 970, will not be having such slowdowns so the problem could be just the GPU not being able to render so many enemies on-screen.

That's PC gaming for you. Unpredictable performance for everyone. :P

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Vitality damage is done by certain undead (Warlocks, Monstrosities, Kilrian), Order of Death's Vigil, and some C'Thonics (the Leeches, the rest mostly do chaos damage).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom