Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

ArchAngel

Arcane
http://grimcalc.com/

You can plan your devotions with it as well.
Not yet ready. Also not fun to have out of game planners like this, especially since you need to plan the exact point placement which is usually not important for character skills.

It is certainly better than nothing.

Renevent

Cipher
It works, the one issue is it doesn't lock down pre-requisite stars/constellation requirements but it you can still do it if you pay attention to the counters. Fun is subjective, I don't know any game that has a "skill planner" where you plan out your entire character from the get-go and have the game just basically auto-track on that path. That doesn't sound fun to me, personally. I enjoy looking through all the skills and coming up with rough build ideas in my head, and even making adjustments along the way after I learn new game mechanics.

I was of a mindset that I've had enough of this type of games but tried the "demo" version of Grim Dawn for few hours and bought it happily at full price. Wow, this is addictive. Much better than Titan Quest, and liking it better than Torchlight II already as well.
Doing a two handed melee Soldier and Shaman combo on Veteran, lv 18, lots of fun so far.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
You can post your current build with this http://grimcalc.com/ and I can point out some adjustements you could do, if you want some help.

So this is what I did: http://grimcalc.com/build/cetVs0

Had almost everything into Arcanist until the last few lvls when I started adding to Nightblade. Probably needed a more balanced approach with less points in IEE and CT and more into OFF and whatever is best from nightblade like shadowstrike. Didn't take duel wielding because I thought the offhand caster options would provide more power but now I am not sure.

Also you have 400+ hours into this game? I admit its good but jesus that's dedication.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Had almost everything into Arcanist until the last few lvls when I started adding to Nightblade. Probably needed a more balanced approach with less points in IEE and CT and more into OFF and whatever is best from nightblade like shadowstrike. Didn't take duel wielding because I thought the offhand caster options would provide more power but now I am not sure.

Also you have 400+ hours into this game? I admit its good but jesus that's dedication.
OFF is way better than Callidor's Tempest for normal, so I'd respec into that. I wouldn't invest that heavily in IEE if you don't have a good melee attack.
Pump NB a bit and put a few points in the DW tree if you want to melee (also you need to be dual wielding for the point you put in Breath of Belgothian to work). You can go more caster if you want but Spellbreaker isn't really suited to it. Most of your single-target damage will come from NB most likely (dual wield and Phantasmal Blades are both possible options). You should also invest in Sphere of Protection.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Heh didn't even realize that Breath of Belgothian required duel wielding. That was a quality selection by me.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You can post your current build with this http://grimcalc.com/ and I can point out some adjustements you could do, if you want some help.

You don't really need IEE for anything yet because the gains will be so small. I wouldn't invest in a buff spell until I had a skill capped out first. Also, Callidor's Tempest does Fire and Aether damage, so the gains from IEE aren't very good for this particular spell. You also took the transmuter for Callidor's Tempest which turns it more into a CC ability rather than a damage one. If you want to continue using this spell then you could respec to something like this http://grimcalc.com/build/cGIk4g
Capped out Callidor's Tempest for damage, Olexra's Flash Freeze + Absolute Zero to act as CC and debuff enemies so you do more damage (-fire and phys res both benefit you with Callidor's Tempest). I also capped out Inner Focus as it is one of the best passive abilities in the game. No matter what kind of character you make, you cap Inner Focus if you have Arcanist. It's so good. From the Nightblade side I invested more points into Pneumatic Burst for survi and an increase in DPS as it gives +total speed%. Maiven's Sphere is ok, but I don't consider it a necessity anymore.

Some thoughts about this build: Callidor's Tempest is a tricky ability that confuses people, which is why most people avoid using it and think it's crap (it's not great, but it has its uses with the right build, which most people don't do). I wouldn't necessarily use it with this build. It works best for Soldier + Arcanist tank hybrid characters. It does 40% weapon damage and is inteded for people who want to do melee fire / aether damage, either with a 2h or sword and board.

You could try this if you want something more caster oriented: http://grimcalc.com/build/N2G4Jn
Phantasmal Blades is very powerful and the Arcanist offers nice passives and support abilities for this build. Phantasmal Blades itself is a powerful spell with a large spread, does lots of damage and has life leech which is great for survi and tankability. A Phantasmal Blades Spellbreaker was among one of the best caster builds back when Ultimate was a huge fucking drag for most builds. I took Olexra's Flash Freeze for CC, but later on you can spec out of it and take Ring of Steel with Ring of Frost from the Nightblade tree for CC. It provides slightly better CC with a smaller investment in points.

I left Breath of Belgothian on both builds because dual wielding weapons that give bonus to magic stats is a possibility. Might even be a good one so that you can keep Pneumatic Burst on at all times. You can remove it and use a caster off-hand instead if that's what you want, either way works fine.

The 440 hours I have on the game has accumulated along the years when I got the game when only Act 1 existed and have played the game in bursts ever since. I'm not sure if I'd be able to squeeze that much play time out of the game had I gotten it when it was released. Probably 100-200~ hours.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
You don't really need IEE for anything yet because the gains will be so small. I wouldn't invest in a buff spell until I had a skill capped out first. Also, Callidor's Tempest does Fire and Aether damage, so the gains from IEE aren't very good for this particular spell. You also took the transmuter for Callidor's Tempest which turns it more into a CC ability rather than a damage one. If you want to continue using this spell then you could respec to something like this http://grimcalc.com/build/cGIk4g
Capped out Callidor's Tempest for damage, Olexra's Flash Freeze + Absolute Zero to act as CC and debuff enemies so you do more damage (-fire and phys res both benefit you with Callidor's Tempest). I also capped out Inner Focus as it is one of the best passive abilities in the game. No matter what kind of character you make, you cap Inner Focus if you have Arcanist. It's so good. From the Nightblade side I invested more points into Pneumatic Burst for survi and an increase in DPS as it gives +total speed%. Maiven's Sphere is ok, but I don't consider it a necessity anymore.

Some thoughts about this build: Callidor's Tempest is a tricky ability that confuses people, which is why most people avoid using it and think it's crap (it's not great, but it has its uses with the right build, which most people don't do). I wouldn't necessarily use it with this build. It works best for Soldier + Arcanist tank hybrid characters. It does 40% weapon damage and is inteded for people who want to do melee fire / aether damage, either with a 2h or sword and board.

Jesus I took CT + WoA at the same time. I thought the 6 second delay was part of the main spell and not the CC part. Got to read those descriptions better, I could have been spamming that. I do use fire weapon + board w/ +fire to try to max its damage.

Inner focus is that good? The 25% spirit boost I'm guessing. I never really used that much spirit because I had the CC tempest so I never really looked at it.

You could try this if you want something more caster oriented: http://grimcalc.com/build/N2G4Jn
Phantasmal Blades is very powerful and the Arcanist offers nice passives and support abilities for this build. Phantasmal Blades itself is a powerful spell with a large spread, does lots of damage and has life leech which is great for survi and tankability. A Phantasmal Blades Spellbreaker was among one of the best caster builds back when Ultimate was a huge fucking drag for most builds. I took Olexra's Flash Freeze for CC, but later on you can spec out of it and take Ring of Steel with Ring of Frost from the Nightblade tree for CC. It provides slightly better CC with a smaller investment in points.

I left Breath of Belgothian on both builds because dual wielding weapons that give bonus to magic stats is a possibility. Might even be a good one so that you can keep Pneumatic Burst on at all times. You can remove it and use a caster off-hand instead if that's what you want, either way works fine.

Yeah I think I'm going to try this version out. Seems like something I will like. Now I just need to get all new equipment...

fake edit: Also PB does a lot of bleeding damage. Aren't undead immune to that?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is it safe to dump spirit when making a Soldier build with a touch of Shaman for 2H enhancements?
Yes. You might need a bit to use the end-game jewelry, but other than that you should be fine.
fake edit: Also PB does a lot of bleeding damage. Aren't undead immune to that?
They are, but PB does well against them anyway. Having played PB through Ultimate, I'd recommend a few things: one is to get Arcanist to 32 for Mental Alacrity, but to stop there. It eats a ton of energy, and that mitigates it. Second is to get Nether Edge asap for the cold damage which goes well with Arcanist. Finally, Veil of Shadow/Night's Chill is pretty important for the many resist debuffs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
OK, I managed to get my character so strong on Veteran that I can now facetank boss of last level of SoT. I guess it is time to go to Elite for first time :)
Does faction standing transfer between difficulty?

I noticed it is almost impossible to level up Black Legion faction standing. It says to kill outcasts lol but there is only one outcast on the map, so even if I didn't align with her, how would that work?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Jesus I took CT + WoA at the same time. I thought the 6 second delay was part of the main spell and not the CC part. Got to read those descriptions better, I could have been spamming that. I do use fire weapon + board w/ +fire to try to max its damage.

Inner focus is that good? The 25% spirit boost I'm guessing. I never really used that much spirit because I had the CC tempest so I never really looked at it.

The spirit is a nice bonus but the main reason to take it is for the Offensive Ability% which is hit and crit chance for everything. Unlike in most other games, here spells are also calculated with the same hit/crit formula as physical attacks. It is possible for spells to miss. Also, everything that Aeschylus said is sound. If you try the build and feel that the damage is satisfactory, you could rush for Mental Alacrity for more cast speed (DPS) and to lower the energy consumption of PB, and then go back and work your way up the Nightblade tree to cap out Nether Edge.

OK, I managed to get my character so strong on Veteran that I can now facetank boss of last level of SoT. I guess it is time to go to Elite for first time :)
Does faction standing transfer between difficulty?

I noticed it is almost impossible to level up Black Legion faction standing. It says to kill outcasts lol but there is only one outcast on the map, so even if I didn't align with her, how would that work?

Faction rep transfers between difficulty levels. The only way to get Legion rep is to do those unbelievably shitty bounty quests or to kill the Outcast Witch in the prison. You can decide to help her or kill her when you talk to her for the first time.

MrJohnson

Educated
Man I just hoped they would muster up a system like battle.net for multiplayer, but it is too expensive. With the current MP you get safegame-cheaters all the time.

Turok

Erudite
Anyone can tell me why the fucking game is incomplete?? all the game is about Aerials invasion but in the end the final boss is Cthulhu monster, a side quest with multi penis and lot of genital fluids, the game story is incomplete, this is another starcraft trilogy fiasco or something like that?

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Seems like it. They probably will release an act 5 as an expansion at some point.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Well we know an expansion is coming, I assume it will focus more on the aetherials since the chtonians have been dealt with, and those are the two main evil factions.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
They should've just copied Diablo 1 ending. It's not like anyone was expecting "and then they killed Cthulhu and lived happily ever after" here?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yea I found a couple of areas I was not able to get through, even with healing potion :D
I would guess you need 80 Aether resistance for those.

RuySan

Augur
Am i the only one who's getting constant freezes out of this? I have to put it aside until some fix comes up....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom