Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
This game is good. Im actually reading / listening to dialog in this game, interested in the lore. I havnt done this in a ARPG since the original Diablo.

My only complaint so far is the first 2 hours of the game are pointlessly easy.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
This game is good. Im actually reading / listening to dialog in this game, interested in the lore. I havnt done this in a ARPG since the original Diablo.

My only complaint so far is the first 2 hours of the game are pointlessly easy.

Yeah, all the lore on aetherian/cthonian infiltration before the Grim Dawn happened and the refugee stuff is awesome. So are the Creed journals.

:x

So my fears of a shitty build have come true. I'm lvl 32-33 playing a Spellbreaker (arcanist/nightblade). Have lots of points in the arcanist combat skill + the cloud skill which does 2-2.5K per cast. Have some support nightblade skills. The problem is I only have about 800 DPS with my weapon and my spam spells (electricity AOE and ice bolt)only do about 400 damage each. I have several movement items + so I do a lot of hit-and-run with my AOE blast. Basically a build that mows down the hordes but has trouble with super bosses in contained areas.

Got totally ganked by both the boss in the Depraved Sanctuary and the guy on the 3rd level of the steps of torment. Lots of angst right now.

You can't be that fucked cause I'm going Nightblade only and doing fine on veteran. Try to stick to one type of damage and get +% damage to it and -% resistance to the enemies.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:x

So my fears of a shitty build have come true. I'm lvl 32-33 playing a Spellbreaker (arcanist/nightblade). Have lots of points in the arcanist combat skill + the cloud skill which does 2-2.5K per cast. Have some support nightblade skills. The problem is I only have about 800 DPS with my weapon and my spam spells (electricity AOE and ice bolt)only do about 400 damage each. I have several movement items + so I do a lot of hit-and-run with my AOE blast. Basically a build that mows down the hordes but has trouble with super bosses in contained areas.

Got totally ganked by both the boss in the Depraved Sanctuary and the guy on the 3rd level of the steps of torment. Lots of angst right now.
Spellbreaker is quite good. Just maxing Olexra's Flash Freeze will take you through 95% of normal without breaking a sweat, it's the best levelling skill in the game by far. To start I'd suggest that, getting a few points in the sphere of protection, and then focusing on NB to boost your DPS a bit. The dual wielding line is quite good, shadow strike is excellent for single target damage, veil of shadow/night's chill for the debuff, pneumatic burst is great, etc. etc. Also if you're having trouble with melee damage output try getting a mistborn talisman.

And you died to the two toughest fights in each act (not counting the boss of the Roguelike part of SoT). It's sort of supposed to happen your first time when you don't know what to expect.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
My Vitality caster finally died. I guess going after SoT boss on Veteran difficulty with only 40% Cold Resistance was a bad idea :D

Damn and I was owning everyone before that and after that. Even with 3 life leech sources I could not outheal his damage :(

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Plot has some interesting points, the green crystal guys against the red crystal guys against the humans. I suspect the greens could become humanity's allies.
Only journal I liked was about a couple crossing the mountain, whoring their daughter and eating humans, quite edgy just like I prefer them.

Would be nice if the gods made an appearance.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Plot has some interesting points, the green crystal guys against the red crystal guys against the humans. I suspect the greens could become humanity's allies.
Only journal I liked was about a couple crossing the mountain, whoring their daughter and eating humans, quite edgy just like I prefer them.

Who do you think Kymor's Chosen represent? Or Mondrogon? Or other Occultist spells/pacts.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Spellbreaker is quite good. Just maxing Olexra's Flash Freeze will take you through 95% of normal without breaking a sweat, it's the best levelling skill in the game by far. To start I'd suggest that, getting a few points in the sphere of protection, and then focusing on NB to boost your DPS a bit. The dual wielding line is quite good, shadow strike is excellent for single target damage, veil of shadow/night's chill for the debuff, pneumatic burst is great, etc. etc. Also if you're having trouble with melee damage output try getting a mistborn talisman.

And you died to the two toughest fights in each act (not counting the boss of the Roguelike part of SoT). It's sort of supposed to happen your first time when you don't know what to expect.

My problem is that I didn't really invest in any single shot dmg spells. Just the AOE cloud. I have loaded up on elemental/fire equipment. Anyway I'll try him again and if it doesn't go well I might respec.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Kymor dudes are the righteous paladins? I thoroughly disliked them and preferred to side the mercs with the necromancers. They are just like the dragon age templars and I opposed them too.
Weird though how the mercs trust you to form alliances even though you are a former possessed green dude.

I liked the terraforming squids. Good idea for enemy types.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Wow, the game got really easy when I hit level 50. I was suddenly able to equip a bunch of awesome armor and two legendary one-handed weapons. Went from 4000 health to 6000, could suddenly tank enemies no problem after having kited the whole game. Switched my skill points around so that I had 5 in every Nightblade dual wield proc and just steamrolled through from the Necropolis to the end. Beat the Bastion of Chaos without breaking a sweat.

I wonder how the difficulty will change between Veteran and Elite, and later Ultimate. I'll probably run past everything cause I can't be bothered to do all that shit again. I still have to pick a second class, any suggestions?

Anyone know if bleeding damage from different sources stack?

I think all DoT effects do.

made

Arcane
Kymor dudes are the righteous paladins? I thoroughly disliked them and preferred to side the mercs with the necromancers. They are just like the dragon age templars and I opposed them too.
Weird though how the mercs trust you to form alliances even though you are a former possessed green dude.

I skip most of the ingame text because it's pretty BSB but I got the impression that Father Whatshisname is a fraud and the brotherhood serves some sinister entity that strives to play off the resistance factions against each other. Haven't finished the game yet th; bit of a drag tbh.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I skip most of the ingame text because it's pretty BSB but I got the impression that Father Whatshisname is a fraud and the brotherhood serves some sinister entity that strives to play off the resistance factions against each other. Haven't finished the game yet th; bit of a drag tbh.

Hark kore spoilarz:

"Empyrion" is a demon, which is kinda ironic when they "purge heretics". Prophet knows but is trying to use fire to fight fire.

Uroboruuk is fighting the good fight, but he gtfo'd from the Order. He isn't a necromancer though...

Writers at Crate have clearly been reading Malazan.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So this game is supposed to have C&C? Any comments on that?
The big C&C points (there are two) are fairly substantiative, giving or blocking access to different factions and dungeons. The rest mostly just are a choice between two different item rewards, although a couple can make larger differences in the game (unlocking further quests, unlocking NPCs, etc.)

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anybody else have trouble with the devotion system? It looks cool the way it's laid out, but it's really hard for me to figure out which way I should be going with each character. I found a list on the Steam forums, but reading through that whole thing is confusing because you can't see where things are. Is there a decent guide for what's what on there?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Does anybody else have trouble with the devotion system? It looks cool the way it's laid out, but it's really hard for me to figure out which way I should be going with each character. I found a list on the Steam forums, but reading through that whole thing is confusing because you can't see where things are. Is there a decent guide for what's what on there?
If you mouse over 5 orbs on the left it highlights constellations for that color. Plan using that. Just take those that work with damage type you are working around.
You can respec later.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Fat chance. Aetherials hate humans, because they feel like they got shafted by the gods in favor of humans. No one is going to be the humans allies except for the people themselves. The gods either do not give a fuck (you encounter Mogdrogen's avatar and can press him about this and ask why he didn't prevent the Grim Dawn from happening for hilarious results), are completely gone from Cairn or are fraudsters who offer Faustian deals (Kymon's Chosen).

My problem is that I didn't really invest in any single shot dmg spells. Just the AOE cloud. I have loaded up on elemental/fire equipment. Anyway I'll try him again and if it doesn't go well I might respec.

You can post your current build with this http://grimcalc.com/ and I can point out some adjustements you could do, if you want some help.

The layout of the Devotion celestial sky is a huge clusterfuck with zero functionality, but, yeah, it looks impressive. If you don't know what to take then get one attack proc that complements your damage type(s) and then invest the rest into defense like more resistances and defensive procs. That's typically what you do anyway, but people who understand the devotion system better than newbies can game the system in such a way that they are able to obtain more than what a person who doesn't understand the system is able to get. But you don't have to worry about that, it's just min/maxing and not necessary in order to beat the game or have fun.

tripedal

Augur

I think the best way to figure out your devotion build is to start with the tier 3 constellation you want, then figure out how to fulfill its requirements.

Renevent

Cipher
Yeah it isn't really that complicated, and most of the 'trees' are themed similarly as well. It is a little overwhelming at first since there's so many constellations and you have to mouse over each one to find out what it's bound to, and what each start/ability does. That takes some time and maybe they could add in some stuff to the UI to make it more sense initially. If I were crate, for instance, maybe draw some kind of sector outline around each primary constellation group, which would give you a summary of the constellations and what they are geared towards.

Anyways tripedal gave some good advice, figure out which major constellations you want and just work toward them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It would help greatly if game would have a planner mode where you get all 50 points and you can assign them like if you had real 50 ones. Then you can follow that to assign your real 50 points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom