Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

RuySan

Augur
Playing with the gamepad as a soldier is immensely satisfying. Like Gauntlet on steroids. I wish more diablo likes allowed this control scheme

made

Arcane
I think it's pretty amazing that in a modern top-down game with minimap they still manage to hide secret areas and NPCs in plain sight that a good chunk of her playerbase will miss without outside help.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What happens when you increase the difficulty. Does the loot and xp gains improve like in diablo or it's just hp bloat and pc stats getting gimped.
All monsters become stronger, your resistance gets a penalty (not on Veteran but on Elite and Ultimate), and enemies drop higher level and better loot. Also some loot cannot drop except from these higher level enemies.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
What happens when you increase the difficulty. Does the loot and xp gains improve like in diablo or it's just hp bloat and pc stats getting gimped.

Leveled a few characters to about 15 since i couldnt decide on what class, on normal and later switched to veteran. On vet i see more "hero" enemies (sometimes a lot more), so better loot.

I like the cadence sword and board Soldier/Occultist (for now just for the raven..) i have now.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Much appreciated. I think I'll complete my first Occultist run on normal and then try my luck as auto attack Shaman using a controller on Veteran difficulty. Can't imagine how you target spells such as Eyes of Dreeg without a cursor.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I like the cadence sword and board Soldier/Occultist (for now just for the raven..) i have now.

Just curious what your build is?

As for the loot, on normal, it is terrible. You will never ever find anything "good". You might on a very rare occasion find something OK. But I get the whole point of that though... :M

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be more specific, -25% to elemental, poison, and pierce resist on Elite, -50% to those on Ultimate and -25% to all the other resists except stun. Greatly increased enemy density on the higher difficulties, and large hero groups are common. There's a bit of HP bloat on Ultimate but it's not too bad. Physical damage becomes much more of a problem on Ultimate, necessitating a slightly different mindset from the other difficulties.
The upside is that Legendary drop rate specifically increases a lot in each subsequent difficulty, and you're more likely to get the level 75 legendaries on Ultimate.

As for the loot, on normal, it is terrible. You will never ever find anything "good". You might on a very rare occasion find something OK. But I get the whole point of that though...:M
You actually can find legendaries on Normal/Veteran once the enemies get over level 50.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria

Just curious what your build is?

As for the loot, on normal, it is terrible. You will never ever find anything "good". You might on a very rare occasion find something OK. But I get the whole point of that though... :M

heh im not that far in the game, just killed the warden and level 21 now. I got cadence and fighting form maxed out. Gear is focussed on defense (i think i have defensive at about 600 now) and physical and bleeding damage. I did find a blue 'fast' weapon so i get that third cadence strike pretty often and that does a ton of damage and has aoe of sorts (hit 2 monsters, than hit a third one and kill m all). In the warden dungeon i had most trouble with the "floating eyes" and i nearly died while standing in acid..

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yeah those damaging "pools" can be hilariously bad. There is a cave you find kinda early on, and I couldn't figure out why I kept dying. :lol: I thought it was just the boss attack that was killing me, and then I finally figured out it was the pool..... good times. :M

ArchAngel

Arcane
Unless something was changed in b31 bleeding damage is a bad choice because most undead are almost immune to it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Yeah, bleeding would be useful in the first half, but now (level 30+) it seems like you fight a ton of just undead? Though that might change later on...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, bleeding would be useful in the first half, but now (level 30+) it seems like you fight a ton of just undead? Though that might change later on...
Stepps of Torment is just undead and it is one of only two farming areas, so...

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I feel that cunning ranged builds are generally better than physique. Your characters runs considerably faster than most enemies, making kiting easy.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bleeding is actually very good if you're a Shaman, who can easily get -100% bleed resist with abilities/devotions (tip: put Rend on Devouring Swarm and watch the carnage). Otherwise it's pretty poor. A really good twinked out bleeding build can tick for 50k damage/sec on Ultimate vs. undead.

I feel that cunning ranged builds are generally better than physique. Your characters runs considerably faster than most enemies, making kiting easy.
Physique is ultimately the best stat just because of how important it is to have a lot of HP and armor in Ultimate due to the huge bursts of damage (often in excess of 7k in one hit). If you don't plan to play Ultimate though dumping it is probably fine. If you do though you'll always want at least 50% of your stat points in phys.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
Bleeding is actually very good if you're a Shaman, who can easily get -100% bleed resist with abilities/devotions (tip: put Rend on Devouring Swarm and watch the carnage). Otherwise it's pretty poor. A really good twinked out bleeding build can tick for 50k damage/sec on Ultimate vs. undead.

Physique is ultimately the best stat just because of how important it is to have a lot of HP and armor in Ultimate due to the huge bursts of damage (often in excess of 7k in one hit). If you don't plan to play Ultimate though dumping it is probably fine. If you do though you'll always want at least 50% of your stat points in phys.

I kinda relied on curse of frailty for lowering the resistance to both my damage types, physical and bleed. Ah well, so far so good. At least on Veteran (normal) it seems sufficient. I do seem to get very lucky with blue fast weapons though, so that also helps.

made

Arcane
Ranged/casters seems to have a much easier time than my soldier. Just lob acid/fire bombs and watch stuff melt, never in any real danger of dying. Meanwhile my soldier was dying left and right from the start. Are you expected to cap resists as melee even on Vet? IIRC in TQ you could forgo defenses completely until you got to higher difficulties.

RuySan

Augur
The game freezes much less while i play as soldier instead of demolitionist. Probably something to do with explosion effects. And playing borderless made no difference whatsoever. Anyway, i've been playing soldier because of that, even if it's much more boring. I have to dual class soon to try and make it more interesting, even though it seems improving the same skills over and over again is the better option.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Witchblade sword and board is a pretty resilient build, the raven cures you up to 16% of your life what is insane as it can spam that heal and if you have a large health pool you can out heal damage when it is max out. It can give you a decent elemental protection too so you can get rid of + resist gears in favor of + damage gear. Curse of fraily + Blade arc and watch enemies bleed to death, even undead.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah melee get shit on, it's mostly the 8 different resist and so much stuff vomits out some kind of pool of damage and just stand inside it shooting you, or you're taking point blank casts that are too quick and poorly telegraphed to dodge. But at least the stuff with charge and shadow strikes got nerfed so casters have an easier time of it :lol:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
For melee you have to have some kind of life leech if you aren't using a shield. High armor value is also mandatory and not an optional luxury. You may have to sacrifice items with stats and skills for another piece of equipment with higher armor otherwise you'll suffer. High HP doesn't amount to much if you aren't mitigating most forms of damage.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Seeing how this game has no checkpoints and when you die you can go to the closest rift which can be quite far away, a good way of "saving" is to open a personal portal near areas you think you might die so you can return to claim your lost xp.
I don't collect common items, they serve as bread crumbs served Hansel.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
:x

So my fears of a shitty build have come true. I'm lvl 32-33 playing a Spellbreaker (arcanist/nightblade). Have lots of points in the arcanist combat skill + the cloud skill which does 2-2.5K per cast. Have some support nightblade skills. The problem is I only have about 800 DPS with my weapon and my spam spells (electricity AOE and ice bolt)only do about 400 damage each. I have several movement items + so I do a lot of hit-and-run with my AOE blast. Basically a build that mows down the hordes but has trouble with super bosses in contained areas.

Got totally ganked by both the boss in the Depraved Sanctuary and the guy on the 3rd level of the steps of torment. Lots of angst right now.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Seeing how this game has no checkpoints and when you die you can go to the closest rift which can be quite far away, a good way of "saving" is to open a personal portal near areas you think you might die so you can return to claim your lost xp.
I don't collect common items, they serve as bread crumbs served Hansel.

scrubcore problems :lol:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
If you think you will be killed in an area, place a portal around it, and if you are killed you wont have to spend a lot of time walking.

I have restarted as a Warlock, currently level 37, and I am enjoying the hell out of this game. >4k dps poison, and I do not think anyone really resists it in any meaningful way. I opt for survival gear and can tank enemies, and I have close to 60hp/s regen. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom