Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Efe

Erudite
dont they lsoe stats when they res? better plan towards not dying

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I didn't know anything about this. Is there zero permanent stat loss from deaths in the current v2 distributed?

And whew I just just explored this cave connected to the top of the Garden of Midnight map yesterday and had an encounter with a ghost and a banshee. Super tough and thought provoking fights where I thought I would lose my whole party but it turns out the axe I randomly had enchanted for my warrior came in use and the cursed bone dagger on another character ended up being the only weapons able to hit those enemies. In the end none of my party members died!

apostrophe

Novice
Only blobbers I really played were Might&Magic games, and I never really had the patience to learn and figure out another series. Is this game a decent place to start?

Efe

Erudite
start with something light like operencia or bards tale 4. or a japanese blobber like stranger of sword city (though these usually are too mindless)
this game isnt noob friendly

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
start with something light like operencia or bards tale 4. or a japanese blobber like stranger of sword city (though these usually are too mindless)
this game isnt noob friendly
Honestly once you drag your beaten up party through the first two levels so you can consistently kill bugs and ?rude chaps? in Crowl, the game becomes extremely manageable. It's actually phenomenally accessible, in that the core gameplay exploration and management is simplified with the grid based turn based concepts that I can just launch Grimoire at any time and play for an hour, which is really nice.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Outside of maybe Might & Magic 3/4, Grimoire is probably the easiest blobber to get into and just have fun exploring. The UI might take some getting used to, but there are lots of clever quality of life features built into the game (auto mapping and auto walking mostly).

Oh! Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown is a fine first blobber too. It's a bit easy and simplified for blobber experts, but it's a good game.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The Samhain mausoleum is a really nice place, it oozes charm and Cleve's good sense of humor. Nice to see these indiegogo backers getting recognition for believing so many years ago. :)
These retarded fucking miners though.. not cool. If I see more than 1 row at a time in an encounter I will immediately quit and reload my save or run away round 1. I would guess the boasted 600 hour playtime was from fighting every mad miner encounter in the game to the death.

What can I do against rust magic besides shamelessly save scumming or stripping my party naked? (Not as much of an option because then I have no inventory space to get new items)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What can I do against rust magic besides shamelessly save scumming or stripping my party naked?

Basically you want to prevent the miners from casting - hold monsters, confusion, etc. are your friends. IIRC rust magic also won't affect you if you go into stealth/turn invisible, and deflection screen can bounce the spell back, but it's a gamble.

And yes, armour rot is pretty freaking gay.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I'm now building up different piles in my house in Crowl of items I don't want to sell but don't have a need to keep in the inventory.

Question: Does anyone know the stats on natural attacks for different races? Kick/punch, claw/bite for lions, power attack/slam/bite for nagas, etc. What are the damage dice and secondary effects on those things? My naga assassin has 100 hand to hand now, and seems to have decent natural attacks, but I don't know for sure if it's worth giving him a weapon to use backstab for eventually and do more damage.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's in the races article on the wiki:

Damage of Unarmed Attacks by Race
Unarmed attacks have different damage depending on the race:

Humanoid Races (max 6 damage)
Punch: 1D6
Kick: 1D6

Drake (max 12 damage)
Claw: 3D4
Lash Tail: 3D4

Giant (max 12 damage)
Smash: 3D4
Stomp: 3D4

Saurian (max 12 damage)
Bite: 3D4
Claw: 3D4

Naga (max 12 damage)
Bite: 2D6 (Naga bite can poison enemies)
Lash Coil: 2D6

Leonar (max 8 damage)
Bite: 2D4
Claw: 2D4

Wolfin (max 8 damage)
Bite: 2D4
Claw: 2D4

Rhattu (max 8 damage)
Bite: 2D4 (Rhattu bite can cause disease on enemies)
Claw: 1D6

The number of attacks per turn can be increased with SPD. Later in the game you can find weapons for unarmed attacks, such as Fists of Doom. The Iron Hands skill increases the damage of unarmed attacks, while the Unarmed Skill itself determines whether the attacks succeed.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Not sure if there is any difference between the two. They both increase the damage of unarmed attacks, though Iron Hands is restricted to the Premium Classes only.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
What is the point of some of these rings that have charges? They don't seem to do anything for me in game at all when they are equipped. E.g. ring of power, ring of joy, ring of deflection.
Also clutcher talon does not do anything despite the description saying I can use it to cast crushing hand.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Ring of power casts strength when you equip it. Deflection invokes missile shield. You get notes in the journal on items if you improved identify stuff.

Thunar

Educated
Does Little Rosy ever even out with the created characters in terms of balance, or should I get my generated party member back from the shrine? I'm pretty early in the game, just arrived at Crowl and she's OP as hell.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does Little Rosy ever even out with the created characters in terms of balance, or should I get my generated party member back from the shrine? I'm pretty early in the game, just arrived at Crowl and she's OP as hell.
Real men complete Grimoire solely with 8 poorly-optimized player-characters they created themselves. +M

Viata

Arcane
When I learned I had to left one of my mates behind so Little Rosy could join my team, I said "fuck off bitch, no one is going to be left behind in my team". I had to finish that game with the characters I created, I didn't spend 5~6 hours rolling dices/creating characters so I could remove them. :kingcomrade:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I'm like 80% sure that after I typed in "fuck" when talking to Raghilda, that she gained 2 red dots against me. Was that an intentionally programmed feature?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

She is there to help players who need help. And yes, her advantage becomes smaller with time - especially if you multiclass your characters (hired NPC's like Rosy cannot multiclass).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom