Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by JarlFrank, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Not sure if there is any difference between the two. They both increase the damage of unarmed attacks, though Iron Hands is restricted to the Premium Classes only.

• Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    What is the point of some of these rings that have charges? They don't seem to do anything for me in game at all when they are equipped. E.g. ring of power, ring of joy, ring of deflection.
    Also clutcher talon does not do anything despite the description saying I can use it to cast crushing hand.

^ Top  
  3. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    Ring of power casts strength when you equip it. Deflection invokes missile shield. You get notes in the journal on items if you improved identify stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Thunar Educated

Thunar
    Does Little Rosy ever even out with the created characters in terms of balance, or should I get my generated party member back from the shrine? I'm pretty early in the game, just arrived at Crowl and she's OP as hell.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Real men complete Grimoire solely with 8 poorly-optimized player-characters they created themselves. +M

• Agree x 3
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Viata Arcane

Viata
    When I learned I had to left one of my mates behind so Little Rosy could join my team, I said "fuck off bitch, no one is going to be left behind in my team". I had to finish that game with the characters I created, I didn't spend 5~6 hours rolling dices/creating characters so I could remove them. :kingcomrade:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    I'm like 80% sure that after I typed in "fuck" when talking to Raghilda, that she gained 2 red dots against me. Was that an intentionally programmed feature?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    She is there to help players who need help. And yes, her advantage becomes smaller with time - especially if you multiclass your characters (hired NPC's like Rosy cannot multiclass).

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Efe Arbiter

Efe
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Yes. There is a list of naughty words in the vocab and NPCs will get pissed off if you use them.

• Informative x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Thunar Educated

Thunar
    So, after having a blast with the game for a few hours, I finally bought it, effectively went from version 1.something to 3.0, so my saves are now gone.
    I decided to start in the sanctuary, been playing for a while before I found the Lethe harp and equipped my sage with it again. Am I doing something wrong or has it been nerfed now? Every single enemy, even small rats, saves against paralysis.
    Also, the hell does Meditation practically do? Improve crit chance?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Yes, it was nerfed. Harp was fucking broken on the original version up to 1.5 or so.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Brozef Learned Patron

Brozef
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I'm thinking or restarting in V3 since I'm unsure whether continuing my saves will lead to problems in the long run, but I have a few questions regarding multiclassing.
    First, how do the Race/Class multipliers work when multiclassing? From searching here and on the wiki I assume to gain bonus Resistances you have to start out with a multiplier? But then you will lose our on the multiplier for stats and skills as soon as you multiclass. So would it be more beneficial to have the "multiplier class" as your goal class? That way you benefit from the multiplier in the class you actually want to level, not just 4-8 levels and than forfeit it. Or am I missing something?

Also I see lots of builds with 10-12 class changes. Is this actually viable/necessary now? I remember in the release version I killed Hobknob and cleared all areas until Samhain I think and my party was still level 4-6 iirc. So this sounds like an enormous amount of grinding or have the XP tables changed dramatically? I seem to remember that you could barely reach level 20 even without class changes.

And lastly is it still viable to forgo multiclassing? Or maybe just do it for 3 chars to get a Jester/Templar/Pirate each (since Assassin sounds kinda weak with the unarmed stuff). I'm not the greatest fan of multiclassing in most games since it tends to be a bit to grindy/gamey for my taste and I prefer pure classes or sensible progressions (eg Warrior/Cleric->Lord/Templar). For example will I gimp my Wizard if he stays in his profession the whole game or should I switch, as soon as I have the spells I want, to another Caster (for different spells) or even a melee class (for better attributes/new skills)?

Sorry for the boatload of questions but multiclassing in Grimoire still seems kinda confusing even with the manual. In the mean time I go back to the seasonally appropriate winter wonderland of Icewind Dale.

^ Top  
  14. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    The most I had a character multiclass was four times. In other cases, three and two. I found the biggest incentive to change profession is because indeed the experience requirements get very large beyond 7th or 8th level, so a switch keeps your characters viable for advancing. They will continue to accumulate hitpoints and magic points, which is probably the most important reason to do it.

I would not say you should skip changing classes all together, but plan for characters to upgrade into different professions at least a couple of times.

Also, Version 2 introduced a new feature that you can exchange gold for experience through the Patron agent. This helps achieving those higher levels.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    How viable is it to playthrough solo class on all characters? I'm going to keep with my V2 save for this playthrough, and my characters are already all level 10 and have stats poor for multiclassing since I didn't plan for stat requirements and learned about them too late.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    It's perfectly viable, don't worry about it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    I seem to remember that the initial multiplier for stats and skills stays the same even after class changes - though I am not sure who found that. It was probably one of those experiments that Haba (?) did.

It is not necessary to multiclass at all, but it is helpful. I had 6 NPC's in my party and NPC's cannot multiclass at all - though they did have the advantage of impressive stats to begin with. Also, as Dorateen said, the initial 5-6 levels have very low XP requirements. So that if you change class at Level 6-8, you can do a lot of multiclassing without even grinding.

You can have an Assassin right from the beginning now with a Naga, Rhattu, etc. And unarmed is not weak at all actually. There are also weapons ("gloves") for more unarmed damage throughout the game. Also keep in mind that getting the Jester is almost impossible and the easiest way is with a Barrower who does at least 10 class changes. Or simply recruit Chukles.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Brozef Learned Patron

Brozef
    Thanks for the replies. Now to re-roll chars for two days to get the required bonus points.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    Multiclassing isn't necessary to get through the game, true - but very useful for all the hit- and spellpoints. And how much fun it is! And the glorious moment when you get your first Jester... I still plan to build up a complete gang of Jesters in my next playthrough. Think of the lasting impression six heavily armed hysterically laughing and constantly grinning weirdos will make on the poor population!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Thunar Educated

Thunar
    So, I just crossed the chasm to Samhain like a big boy, though, when I arrive on the other side and take the stairs downwards, there's a locked gate at the end of the corridor. Tried to use all my critical items on it to no avail. I checked a couple of walkthroughs and none of them seem to mention there being a gate there, or a lever that I didn't pull.
    I did the symbol puzzle, switched levers in the pitch black area, explored underneath the toilets, etc.
    Deepsink project and samhain gorge's map are both at 100%, the ukluk mining company is at 88 and also has a locked gate that I can't pass, with a sign next to it that I can't read for some reason.
    Can anyone help?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Have you visited Aquavia?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    You need to talk to Smithy, as well as finish that corner in Ukluk.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Brozef Learned Patron

Brozef
    Holy shit the xp rebalancing is awesome! Almost everyone in my party (except the fairy assassin) is already level 4 and I've only done Briarwoods and Crowl. Though starting without a Bard and the OP flute makes it feel earned. Damn Firebeetles :argh:

Also did lethal get nerved? Was it removed from swords? I haven't seen it procced yet and I have plenty of ppl with it at level 20-30. That it were it started to take off with my previous party. After checking around I found that none of the swords i found or could buy from Smithers has lethal. I'm pretty sure that they had it in the old version and I think even the Metalsmith could procc it with the starting hammer, but maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.
    Finally, how do bonus attacks work? My fairy seems to get them every other round even though she only has the starting dagger. Do you get more by dual wielding? Or is it dependent on AGI or the class? Kinda makes me reconsider my plan to turn her into a Necro...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    The Bard and the music instruments have been nerfed anyway.

It is partly about SPEED and partly about the Level I think. Some skills might have an influence too on how many bonus attacks you get per round.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Thunar Educated

Thunar
    Thanks, I thought I could dodge Aquavia this time, forgot that there was a critical item there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.