Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is there any mace that is better than early game one which stuns everything on hit 100%?

also where do you find password for kublai axis chest in vault?

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
Is there any mace that is better than early game one which stuns everything on hit 100%?

also where do you find password for kublai axis chest in vault?

There are a lot of good maces in the game. If you are using lethal blow then the only two maces that matter are Bopwanker and Crackatoa. Super Monster Maul has the highest damage of any melee weapon in the game. There are some decent procs as well, like Earthbuster procs Earthquake.

To get the chest code (and other passwords) you have to give Ducat money when he accosts you.

Shadenuat

Arcane
damage is good but, I wonder why is this the only flail that stunlocks enemies.

enemy unconscious
enemy beheaded
gold
xp

teamwork :M

So that's another Ducat chest, too bad.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

There sure is:

HAMMER & MACE
  • Super Monster Maul (10D8) - Dark Warren (Raven Wildes)
  • Earthbuster (8D8) - 3rd Coil of Bahomet Megalith (usable by Clerics and Bards too)
  • Crackatoa (6D8, Lethal!, extra fire damage) - Ancients Level IV (usable by Clerics and Bards too)
  • Minigolf Mallet of Doom (4D12) - Moravia Level VII
  • Stormbringer (7D6) - Palace Treasure Room (usable by Clerics and Bards too)
  • Skullbuster (6D6) - Samhain Abode of the Horror (usable by Clerics and Bards too)
  • Mjolner (6D6) - Found in Kublai Cathedral Vault. Gives +20 Resistance vs Infernal.
  • Purifier (6D6) - Found in Kublai Cathedral Vault. Gives +30 Resistance vs Infernal and Evil. Can only be used by Cleric and Templar.
  • Bopwanker (5D6, Lethal!) - Titan Mines (one of only two lethal hammers in the game, can be used by everyone except Fey/Aeorb/Durendil and Wizard/Sage)

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Items#List_of_the_best_weapons_.28SPOILERS.29

Shadenuat

Arcane
Skullbuster (6D6) - Samhain Abode of the Horror (usable by Clerics and Bards too)
That's one I have been using for 50 hours. kinda gets old.

This one

Earthbuster (8D8)
Has almost same description about stunning in the game, but Skullbuster does it on hit instantly, while Earthbuster doesn't seem to do anything. Reason why I sold all my Mjolnirs etc.

One other thing which bothers me is max power Wizard Eye spell. I am curious if what it does is intended because the amount of meta information it gives is so huge (you just need to glance over a tile set to understand what to do and where to go) that you can just rush through locations easy at supersonic speed mashing enter on every monster fight going through game about 5 times faster than early game. Combine with Search Item and robbing every npc you meet on first meeting and you also have all key items with you always and don't even need to backtrack much. This feels wrong compared to tutorial where everything is slow and deliberate and you can actually miss secrets.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I found it hard to find enemies immune to it than those which are not; at least cyclopothings at Gideon were, everything else goes into stun/kneel animation just fine. Some things bug out, like dogis at Mandarin's who cast Earthquake - they don't attack and seem to be stunned, but still cast Earthquakes.

Speaking cyclopothings that have ranged Insane attack, I used all my 624 buffs but still did not find one which protects against going insane from them. Cerebral Shield, Gaze reflection against those who say they "gaze at you", Magic screen, Demon protection, etc. the best part when I was trying to use one of screen spells and my bard reflected 3 cones of cold back onto my own party - nice trolling spell right there.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Speaking cyclopothings that have ranged Insane attack, I used all my 624 buffs but still did not find one which protects against going insane from them. Cerebral Shield, Gaze reflection against those who say they "gaze at you", Magic screen, Demon protection, etc. the best part when I was trying to use one of screen spells and my bard reflected 3 cones of cold back onto my own party - nice trolling spell right there.

There is nothing in the whole game that protects against their autistic screeching, so you might as well save your spell points for deadly blades.

A trick worth keeping in mind is that your dudes can turn against you while insane only if you order them to attack. So against cyclopothings you basically want everyone either going into stealth mode or casting them big nukes.

Dorateen

Arcane
Something I've wondered about, given the nature of Grimoire's open exploration, what order did players tend to discover and obtain the next seven tablets after LACHESIS? For me it was:

GORGON, SCYLLA, NEMESIS, ATROPOS, ARACHNID, MEGAERA, AURORA

Gunnar

Arbiter
What is the best order to get the tablets? I'm thinking
salt caves, barrow, pyramid, cathedral, megalith, skulhiem, gideon
?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think I did:

saltwyrm caves, druid barrow, kublai cathedral, nekruel pyramid, bahomet megalith, gideon, skulheim
So kind of similar.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
My order:
Scylla (Saltwyrm Caves), Atropos (Barrow Pits), Aurora (Gideon/Knossos), Megaera (Kublai Cathedral), Arachne (Skulheim), Gorgon (Bahomet Megalith), Nemesis (Nerukruel Pyramid)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mine was:

Druid Barrow, Skulheim, Bahomet Megalith, Cathedral, Knossos, Pyramid, Saltwyrm Caves

P. surprised to see that none of you got Atropos first.

Viata

Arcane
Mine was:

Druid Barrow, Skulheim, Bahomet Megalith, Cathedral, Knossos, Pyramid, Saltwyrm Caves

I did. I can't remember the middle part, but I know it was something like
Druid -> Pyramid(?) -> Saltwymr(?) -> Cathedral(?) -> Skulheim -> Knossos -> Bahomet.
I can't remember the order of those with (?), though. I do know that
Skulheim -> Knossos -> Bahomet
was the right order because you couldn't do Knossos and Bahomet back then thanks to some bugs(the code was not reading the Bahomet level 2 right and the place you sleep in Knossos had the wrong item there and thus was not working), then Cleve fixed Knossos first and only after some hours he fixed Bahomet.

Gunnar

Arbiter

The barrow caverns are the first things you stumble across after leaving Samhain. At that point I wanted to explore the world and look for an item shop and didn't want to get into another big dungeon right away. Then it took me a while to circle back around to it.

Dorateen

Arcane
I remember climbing down to the barrow caverns and running into that fight with the Arch druid and cluster of six dark fairies. There were also mushrooms that could paralyze the entire party, and those wiccan cultists. I decided to come back later.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I have quite consistent crashes when trying exit Tabernacle of Music, hope it's not a critical area. Also it's snowing inside.

It helps when I try to exit it backwards, hope it would work after I finish it. Also Moravia Castle, how do I enter it?

Can't find lead rat to give him roach, where is their hideout?

Ended game by accident by sleeping too long.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Report the crash on Steam. And yeah, the Tabernacle is kind of critical.

As to Moravia, there are two ways to enter it: either with the Moravia key in the NE corner of the Raven Wildes or by teleporting from the pillar in the Great Hall of Samhain.

You need to activate all 5 mini-pillars first, one is in a room nearby.
The hideout is the minigames area on the same map as the roach area.

You need a key for that from the palace.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You get it at the palace. And yeah, it's a password - not a key.

Gunnar

Arbiter
There are many beds in Grimoire, and they are all revolting, lice infested horrors. Why? What is Cleves obsession with dirty beds?

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
There are many beds in Grimoire, and they are all revolting, lice infested horrors. Why? What is Cleves obsession with dirty beds?

He's an Aussie. That's how they live. You need to be more respectful towards other cultures.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom