Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by JarlFrank, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Don't have access to shrine of the raptor subterranean area - I started at sanctuary.
    There are two fountains at the shrine, but they just replenish health and stamina.

The only way out of this now that I can think of is to grind a level, get cure paralysis on my sage, and then eat galen apples as soon as zerk will be able to move.
    Either this, or somehow kill him and resurrect afterwards.

I fucked this up by not taking any cure-type spells.
    Before rerolling, my party had a cleric, but since he was the most useless member, I restarted and took feyfolk wizard instead, focusing on offensive spells.

^ Top  
  2. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    You can simply wait until you get the cure paralysis, though he will be probably an easy target in fights (place him in the back row). Or get one of the NPC's to join you and pick him up later at the Shrine when you have the spell.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Pheew, I've barely managed to find a way out of this.

Realized I had a woundwort, so I could create couple of cure paralysis potions.
    Once he gulped a few and could start to move again, I ate all three galen apples I had - those were barely enough to fully get rid of disease. Holy fuck.

Anyway, the mechanics that uncured disease fucks you up more and more over time is awesome.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Does aeorb's special ability tend to ever land at all?

I assume it targets mental resistance, but then again the psionic blast spell does as well, and it does hit mobs like brigands sometimes
    The gaze ability OTOH I have never seen working.

^ Top  
  5. Thunar Educated

Thunar
    Yeah, I've never seen any special ability work except rage. Not even sure that's a special ability.

^ Top  
  6. Monkey Baron Learned

Monkey Baron
    Why can't I scribe eldritch spells? I have the book unlocked, and two of my characters have 100 scribe. Do I need more arcanum?

EDIT: Just got it, probably attempted a hundred or so times. I'm guessing it was Arcanum that was holding me back because my character now has 100 arcanum.

• incline incline x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lazarus Novice

Lazarus
    Is there any way to slow down the speed of the text in combat?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lazarus Novice

Lazarus
    Yeah, my Aeorb Sage’s works, and he’s only 4th level.

^ Top  
  9. Monkey Baron Learned

Monkey Baron
    I'm trying to clean up my inventory and there are a few items I'm not too sure if I need to keep.
    • book of reflekshun - I swear it was marked critical before I finished that area, but I don't remember ever using it.
    • outrigger harness - still marked critical. Is there another use?
    • diving bell - seems pretty useful and I already used it to get all of the pieces, will I need it later on?
    Also, I really don't understand cursed items. Some of the ones that I've encountered at this point of the game seem sort of beneficial and I don't know if I'm missing something obvious with them. The very early-game cursed items seemed to be just bad. Other than being unable to remove them, what are the point of these items? Like the vorpal blade for example.

EDIT: ALSO - what does the snakeskin pouch do? I can't seem to fit anything into it.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    ^ Top  
  10. Efe Arbiter

Efe
    you put snakeskins into it..
    its literally in the name...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Some of the cursed items are great, but drain your health each step, IIRC. And I think there are also items that regenerate health each step, so that you can cancel out the negative effect and just use the cursed item.

Diving bell and harness have single use. Most critical items are single use, except maybe a couple (though those are important).

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    I think you can put gems in the snakeskin pouch.

^ Top  
  13. Monkey Baron Learned

Monkey Baron
    I'm stuck!!!

Show Spoiler
    I'm in the Cromlech of the Clock and I can't figure out how to pull down the lever. I saw the hint about starting an emergency, but I can't figure out how to cause it. I also still have the power jack and all of the miscellaneous objects I picked up earlier and can't figure out how to use them, I tried to combine them to no avail. Tried using them with the computer as well...

EDIT: Okay looks like I missed a few areas, but after some searching I feel pretty confident I know what I've missed! Just have to wait until after work to proceed :dealwithit:

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    I just started another run (is there a cure for chronic restart syndrome?) and need some advise on multiclasing:

1. I rolled with wolfin ranger, he's about level 5 or 6 right now, raising mainly bladesmanship and lethal blow. He's got poison dagger and gauche in offhand and is doing pretty well in melee. Question is, what to do with him? Should I keep him pure class and start pumping archery, hoping that I'll find some good ranged weapon soon? i was also thinking about turning him into cleric (don't have anyone with this school), but I don't know how the gear restrictions works here. Will he still be able to use bows/daggers/swords, or will have to stick with staves etc?

2. Aeorb sage - level 5 or 6, got most of the utility spells already and is starting to getting a little deadweight, especially that his only offensive spell is shrill sound. What should I do with this dingus, perhaps turn him into wizard, since he already has ~90 sorcery? Or maybe bard? Got couple of instruments already and they're only rusting in my inventory.

3. Burrower thaumaturge and Feyfolk wizard - main nukers. What to do with those two? Wait a couple of more levels so they can get high end spells (hailstorm etc)? and then switch classes so they can get a boost in MPs? I'm thinking about switching Feyfolk to necro, since she'll have bonuses, but have no idea what to do with Burrower. Also, I'm not sure how the spell gain works like - it depends on the char level, not the relevant magic skill, no? So let's take lightning bolt, which is lvl 8 wiz spell - if I change class to necro on lvl 7, does that mean I will never learn lightning bolt?

More general questions:

1. Does metallurgy works now? Is there some crating system that provides some tangible benefits?
    2. Is it worth to invest heavily in mephistics? Right now my naga assassin can apply poison to weapons that wears down after hit or two - not exactly the best skill investment.
    3. Is nature lore worth it?

^ Top  
  15. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    1. You can check which races and classes can equip an item by looking at the item's stats.

2. Sages have the music skill, so you don't need to have a Bard for that. Check which spells the Sage will get at what level to decide whether you want to skip those or not. Sages are also the lockpickers like Thieves and a couple others.

3. Barrower Thaumaturge can do the most multiclassing of any race/class combination. Here, for inspiration:
    http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Classes#Multiclassing_Careers_by_Race

And yeah, you unlock spells based on your class and your level in that class. The magic skill is only for spellcasting.

1. It is pretty useless overall - you can temporarily increase armor AC or sharpen your weapons, but that's it.
    2. Same as metallurgy.
    3. Not really.

Here is more on that: http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Skills#Advice_on_Skills:_Which_ones_are_important.3F

^ Top  
  16. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    I don't recommend Archery. You have to invest in Accuracy, the arrows aren't easy to get until later on and there aren't many good bows in the game. I also found Archery to be not as good as other weapon types in general because the arrows can't hit incorporeal beings.

^ Top  
  17. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Winged Justice is an effective ranged weapon. The advantage of ranged attacks is when you face encounters with multiple rows of enemies. An archer can target those monsters, which your front line damage dealers might not be able to reach, depending on weapon. Something to consider.

^ Top  
  18. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    The problem with Aeorb sage is that his physical skill gains per level are abysmal, like 1-2 points on level up. With that pace I will die of old age IRL before I raise music to a reasonable level.

Got it. This means then, that if you want to multiclass heavily, there is no option to unlock spells like firestorm or feezing sphere.

Is it true that after class change the spell effectiveness is governed by your new magic skill, regardless of the spell? Say, thaumaturge with alchemy 100 switches to wizard and has like sorcery ~20 - does that mean that his toxic cloud (thauamturge exclusive spell) will fizzle while casted at high level?

That's kinda sad actually.

^ Top  
  19. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Skills increase with use, even if you aren't successful, so you don't need to manually assign points into Music in order to boost it. Just keep playing every turn.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    There are. Your last multiclassing class can go as high as it goes and you can also scribe spells from books, though finding the right ones is a rather tricky business.

Well, spellcasting effectiveness is tied to your current level to some degree, though I think the spells are always governed by their own magic skill. It wouldn't really make sense otherwise.

Well, I think Cleve had big plans with crafting items from parts you find (as the skill description still says), but then opted for the much simpler sharpening and AC increase to get it finished.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Does the AC bonus or +dmg from sharpening even get better as your metallurgy goes up?
    Same with mephistics - does the poison gets better as the skill goes up?

Btw. thanks for all the tips Lady :shittydog:

^ Top  
  22. Derreke Literate

Derreke
    I am stuck in the part of the game where you have to find the parts to fix the generator and potetiator tanks so you can use the hydrolift.
    I found the gearband and the y adaptor and fixed the generator. I placed the magneto disks. one the tanks cracked open but I understand it is supposed to
    when I go to use the pulley to get the hydrolift the lower, I cant do anything
    please help

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    ^ Top  
  24. Derreke Literate

Derreke
    yes Lady Error . it teels me if I fix the generator and the potentiator the pull chain will work . I fixed them and the pull chain does nothing

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.