Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire Thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by LESS T_T, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Grauken Incorrigible Mapmaker Patron

Grauken
    It has, though I like them. If you play enough blobbers you learn to anticipate where to check for them

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Detect Secret is a thing, you know.

There are also illusionary walls and stuff on the ground that you may miss without it.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    Yes there are secret walls and behind those secret walls there are secret rooms and you can do secret stuff

• "It was Aliens" x 4
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Ok so if I want to check the info on my equipped gear - the damage, abilities, use restrictions etc. - I can't do it from the main screen or even the character inventory screen? I have to click the character inventory screen, unequip the item into the global inventory, quit the char. inv. screen, click the inventory workshop and only then right-click the item? Was it always like that or was it changed in the patches? Or am I missing something?

Coz if I'm not missing anything that is veeery unwieldy.

Also alt-tabbing would be super nice to have so I don't have to quit the game everytime I wanna check or ask something or jot down a note. Btw I have seen Cleve's post about it where he says he'd like to implement it but it's a pain to do. Hopefully, one day...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Open character inventory, select the item you want to inspect and drag it on a character's inspect action button (magnifying glass)

I recommend playing windowed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Butter Arcane

Butter
    You should avoid playing grid-based blobbers in full screen. You'll destroy your eyes. You should also have Detect Secret up 100% of the time when you're in a new area so you don't have to pixel hunt every wall tile just in case.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    What, why?

Also playing Grimoire windowed on my 27" monitor is unviable. Some of the text is super tiny even in fullscreen. Already whenever I'm checking an item for properties I have to lean forward.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Moving quickly in whole-tile increments is like watching a movie at too low a framerate. There's a flicker effect that's really hard on the eyes, and the more of your FOV it occupies, the harder it is to look at.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    1. What are the symbols on the top of your spellbook, above the text box? It looks like a speech bubble, a little dude, a blue eye etc. I assume they denote spell types (cloud, target-group, target-all mobs etc. but what's what?
    2. If I equip a 2H weapon I can still equip a shield. It's greyed out so I can't "use" it but it still gives me AC? Also shield can only block dmg if I choose it instead of "attack" in the battle menu?
    3. What does Iron Hand do? I suppose it's like Power Strike in W7 where it adds +dmg to your every hit? Also there's no way to learn it if I don't start in Sanctuary?
    4. What exactly does Meditation do?
    5. Tried the Shrine and the Sanctuary start. If I start in the Sanctuary I don't get the little owl statue and can't get into the second half of the Shrine. There is a room with several inscriptions that add some hints in your journal. I don't suppose those are super critical if they're located in an optional area?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Those are some Arcane-level questions:

1. It might be explained in the manual, not sure.
    2. Don't remember.
    3. Iron Fists is an unarmed damage skill. Assassins and Jesters get it:
    http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Skills
    4. Check the link, though I think it's one of the relatively useless skills.
    5. Yeah.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yeah I have the manual, the symbols in the spellbook aren't explained there.
    Meditation is explained as "The mastery of the body's internal functions and mental states". Thanks Cleve.

I'm guessing it's like Mind Control in Wiz7 that gave you some additional resists against mental attacks. One thing I didn't love about Wiz7 was the cryptic skills some of which were p. much impossible to figure out on your own. I think to this very day nobody knows what exactly Reflextion does lol. I mean puzzles and quests require certain level of mystery but why would anyone think it valuable when players don't know exactly what the skills of their characters do? Eh...

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Rpguy Arcane Patron

Rpguy
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Is Cleveland Mark Blakemore still roaming here?

Here's the thing - my native resolution is 1080p. Can't play windowed, the window is way too small (are people really playing this game windowed on 1080p or higher?). If I play with fullscreen/scaled-to-fit it's actually fine. Very playable. But the everything is a tad bit grainy, some of the text is kindda jaggy and hard to read (especially map notes) and other text is really small.

I'm reading comments recommending switching the monitor to the 1024x768 resolution and playing with fullscreen/no scaling. Messed around with this and finally I succeeded. The comments are right, the game looks much better - sure, stretched wide but much smoother and nicer. Very pretty actually. Even the tiny text is a bit less tiny.

Problem is I can't just switch the resolution and launch. The game always automatically switches it back and then runs in the upper left corner. I figured I have to delete the .cfg first. Then it works....until I exit. With the next launch, even if I have the screen still on 768p, the game actually switches it back to the native 1080p and then runs in the upper left corner again. I have to repeat the aforementioned procedure again.

Any idea why that is? I tried messing around with the XP compatibility mode, disabling high DPI scaling and all that jazz but no dice. Any ideas?

^ Top  
  14. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    You can probably use lossless scaling.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Um bros do you know if the difficulty can be changed without restarting the game? Coz I'm 13 hours in I haven't had a single even mildly difficult fight. I even dumped Rosy (the idea of RPCs is great but she's just unreasonably OP) and even then I feel like in the Wiz7 endgame where you just press Fight and then you hold Escape. I ramped it up all the way to Superhero but I can't tell if it's working.

I suspect you have to restart for the diff. settings to take effect but due to my display problems I have to delete the .cfg after every exit so...yeah. I always start the game with the Novice diff. as default. Goddammit.

I've never been so dejected about a game. Grimwah is such a treat but it just doesn't want me to play it. :negative:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Got the same problem - started on veteran diff, got a bumpy beginning (started in crowl and got raped by fireball-throwing bugs few times), but after getting to lvl 3-4 it all got easier.
    I have 5 melees and 3 casters, and so far every fight is a cakewalk.

I'm at cetonaph now, and just one shot the lich with deep freeze from my thaumaturge lol.
    Other mini-bosses so far were a joke as well.

How does the difficulty curve looks like? Can you change diff mid-game?
    What I'm little worried about is that after 2-3 class switches for melees, you can max out lethal blow pretty fast and have crit-fest galore for the rest of the game.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    I tested the difficulty options today, with changing it from Veteran up to Superhero, restarting the game couple of times and playing for 10-15 minutes for every grade. I just don't feel any difference. It's hard to pinpoint since the type and number of mobs you bump into are randomized but overall it feels the same.

The only marginally difficult fight I had was Hobknob, simply because he has like 10 attacks in a row and always goes first. Tried 3 times, he always gibbed my two front-row tanks before I could dispatch him. So I just accepted two deaths and moved on. Apart from that it's been a farce, including Black Lich. Kindda a donwer altho it's very possible the diff. settings in my game are straight up borked, I'm experiencing other small glitches in the Matrix too, like my autohotkey isn't working anymore for some reason.

Btw I've switched back to my native 1080p resolution with scale-to-fit and it's acceptable but goddamn is the game straining to my poor eyes....

^ Top  
  18. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    My observations of Superhero difficulty were that the number of enemies in the mobs seemed to be higher, and enemies would use their special abilities more frequently.

Yup. Get speed up so you act first also.

^ Top  
  19. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Even now, with poison daggers and low tier broad axes, and LB around 50s, insta kills proc pretty often. This makes 99% of fights redundant.

Can someone confirm that changing diff settings mid game works, or you just have to pick it out before start?

Fuck, i expected this to be as unforgiving as wiz 7. Right now I feel I don't even have to multiclass to breeze through.

^ Top  
  20. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Have you faced dragonflies yet?

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Nope, currently I'm at the mines and rape everything with melees and fireballs.
    Does it gets much tougher later on?

Are some mobs resistant to insta-kill?

If not, then I assume that high-speed LB maxed out melees can get you through almost everything.
    Then again, I'm not that far so I may be wrong.

Back to my previous question - does anybody know if changing difficulty mid-game works?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    The thing is, if you know what you're doing, then the difficulty is indeed not that high - though still challenging in many instances.

Wizardry 7 is pretty much the same.

Once you enter the open world, there are many places that only a high level party can handle.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    There are some mobs that can be problematic if they get to act before you do, but I don't recall any monsters being immune to lethal blow. The difficulty switching mid-game seemed to work for me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    True to much extent, tbh this can be said about pretty much almost every cRPG.

I have a feeling that Wiz 7 is much more unforgiving though - especially that without multiclassing your skill growth is slow as hell, same with learning spells.
    In Grimwah my aeorb sage had 100 sorcery around lvl 6-7, same with thaumaturge and alchemy. Weapon skills also seems to be rising fast as fuck through usage as well - my saurian berserker already has 100 in axes.

In a way, it's a good thing - you don't have to roll with ridiculous z/x/c/v/b/n multiclassed munchkins to get through the game without grinding, but I would definitely tone down the skill gains.

Wiz 8 had perfect balance in that matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Grimoire is definitely way, way too trivial in the first part. I'm now in Samhain and difficulty-wise it still feels like that starter meadow in Wiz7. In Wiz7 the first non-trivial fight is Ra-Sep-Re-Tep, the boss of the starting dungeon. in Grimoire (at least V2, apparently gaem was p. hard on D1) it's Hobknob, 10+ hours into the game. I just re-read Felipe's review and apparently fights will get progressively harder (or more BS according to him) so we'll see.

Other minor annoyances include the inventory management, that must've been an absolute pain before V2, the bafflingly microscopic text in some places, the OP RPCs, some of the mechanics that seem pointless (all that sharpening and poisoning and enchanting that lasts like 2 fights) and a few other quirks.

Luckily none of this is very serious plus the number of QoL improvements over W7 is higher than the annoyances. Apart from the balance I don't have any other major complaints. The dungeons are excellent, puzzles just right (had to look up only 1 solution so far), writing is easily on Bradley's level, itemization and loot very good and I'm actually starting to be intrigued about the story which, for an old-school blobber, is virtually unheard of.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.