Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire Thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by LESS T_T, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    The early difficulty is really not trivial, especially if you start in Crowl or use the early stick weapons instead of unequipping them. I'd say the gang outside Crowl is more akin to the first early challenge or that undead mini-boss in Aquavia - which is actually directly inspired by Ra-Sep-Re-Tep.

You can have alternate weapons enchanted or poisoned and store them for a fight when you might need them, eg. a boss fight. Though yeah, overall that stuff is not important.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Oh yeah, those Black Hand bandits, I had to leave those for later, you're right.

Also Rosie can make the very early game super trivial but even without her your mages will get mass-blast spells like Shrill Sound, Magic Missiles or Fireball very soon (I wanna say on lvl2? maybe 3) and start raeping on their own.

So in general, IF you don't read the manual beforehand, IF you assemble a bad party, IF you don't use your racial powers and IF you don't recruit Rosie the game can be difficult in the first hour or so.

I don't wanna bitch too much about balance though. So far I'd say Wizardry 7 nailed balance better (in fact it's probably the best balanced RPG I know) but even it collapses into triviality by the time you get to Ukpyr, especially if you know what you're doing. Plus, as I said, I'm still in Samhain, which is what, maybe 20% in, based on the reviews? Still plenty of time for tough fights.

(Btw I'd REALLY loved to hear from Cleve what exactly various difficulty grades do and if they can be changed mid-game/without restarting).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    You have to remember that Grimwah doesn't concern itself too much with balance, and in fact eventually the game turns into a massive cheesefest, so you should just kick back and enjoy the ride :M

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    QQ - is metallurgy working now, i.e can you craft weapons and shit?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    It better be since my Metalsmith has been pumping Metallurgy almost exclusively since the get to.

:outrage:

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    That's a good question. Never did it myself. The manual says: "The ability to forge powerful weapons and to construct them from components."

So I suppose the forges are where you forge weapons, but from what components?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    From the Grimoire Manual:

So you use the skill metallurgy in conjunction with the Forge Craft, to increase a bonus on pieces of armor.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Right, I remember doing the AC bonus for armor, but it also wears off quite fast. I guess the crafting from components was his initial idea, which is now the AC bonus.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Meh, so it's nothing to write home about and makes the whole metalsmith class kinda redundant and just make you want to have another saurian berserker instead.

Anyway, I just started again on higher difficulty, and the number of mobs on most of encounters is noticably higher. Changing this previously during the game did not seem to change anything.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Are bard instruments worth it, like in wiz 8?

I dont have pure bard now, and raising music skill on aeorb sage may take forever.

^ Top  
  11. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Music instruments and the speed of the music skill increase were nerfed, but there are some good instruments in the game. It's basically a free unlimited spell machine and many of those are crowd-control spells.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Music is strong. You can get free mass paralysis pretty early in the game. Don't start with a bard though. Bard is the only class that can multi into Jester.

^ Top  
  13. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    Metalsmith can't be class changed into, so it's a good starting class to take if you're trying to maximize your gains from class changing.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Baxander Savant

Baxander
    Cleve, you ready to roll?

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Dreed Bremsstrahlunged Patron

Dreed
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I heard there's a new bug out there called Coronavirus, why don't you go away for the umpteenth time and chase that? [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • coof coof x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Incendax Augur

Incendax
    Never finished my last playthrough. Taking a second shot at it.
    Single Class challenge.
    Is there any class that is absolutely 100% necessary? As far as content or puzzle solving is concerned.

• Rage Rage x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Aw shit. So I guess you need to restart if you're after a different difficulty.

Now do I want to restart 20 hours in....

Goddamn, this game already made me work harder than Wizards&Warriors back in the day.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Well, personally, I did resort to restarting W&W some 20-ish hours in because of the fucking mantraps :argh:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Rpguy Arcane Patron

Rpguy
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It seems there are a few new bugs in the game now, the screen resolution and the difficulty were all fine back when I played it. I logged in again today to check it and it's unplayable for me.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    In what way?

^ Top  
  21. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    If you want to actually complete the game, stronk classes that kill stuff dead fast are 100% needed.

If you want to do all puzzles 'n stuff, you need certain skills (Ancient History) etc.

Completing the game without a sage will be a challenge.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    I think you can finish the game with any class. Without a Sage, there are maybe a couple optional puzzles that you cannot solve. A bigger question is how you will open chest locks - in theory, you can just take the damage without disarming them.

^ Top  
  23. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    That's another thing - I'm taking PALTRY punishment for failing chests. Usually just 10-20HP damage to a single dude. In Wiz7 chest traps usually annihilate your entire party. I wonder if it's tied to difficulty too.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    I don't know what you think is unplayable. Just checked it and it is fine.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Rpguy Arcane Patron

Rpguy
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I mean in the resolution area, it was fine before and it got changed. I spent a minute trying to fix it but the text was unreadable in full screen mode, I guess in window mode it will be better? in any case I didn't bother too much because I did not intend to play it, just wanted to test the difficulty issue.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.