Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guido Fawkes (aka FretRider) should not be banned

FretRider should not be banned

• Indeed, he should not be banned, I love him and his stalinistic antics

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • (LIBRUL) Ban him

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • (MILDLY LIBRUL) Exile him to RPGWatch

Votes: 29 15.0%
  • (STRONGLY LIBRUL) Ban him and Moribund

Votes: 47 24.4%
  • (ANARCHIST) Free Jim Profit!

Votes: 38 19.7%

• Total voters

Anselmus

Arcane
Incorrect. First ever use of the term "librul" was in 2003 by a poster called FreeThis.

After that, the term is not used again until Sarvis in 2007.

Oarfish is next in 2008.

It's not until 2010 that the term starts to become used popularly by Freelance Henchmen, Gnidrologist, Humanity has risen!, Cloaked Figure and DraQ.

I could only get 5 pages (100 results) on a general search, is that an intended feature or am I limited because of join date or something? I circumvented by doing searches on specific posters, which don't have that limit.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah XF search is limited to avoid raping the database.

I can rape the database directly. :)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anselmus should still get some credit for coming up with what he could with limited tools available.

Also, any man who reads and likes E.T.A. Hoffmann cannot possibly do wrong. Der Sandmann :love:

DraQ

Arcane
It's not until 2010
And everything is clear.

I know you're very proud of yourself for being Science moderator, but aside from the occasional tech thread that subforum is much worse than Politics. Hardly surprising really, but there you have it. The only reason I like its existence is that it's actually managed to do what I thought was impossible - it cleaned up GD. GD is now purely for lulz, blogdex (ie lulz) and other assorted sillyness minus the "retarded GD shit" that used to give that place its name. At this point dragging GD into Science would be a good thing - Science is new cesspool, alongside Politics.

I figured you'd be more butthurt about it.
:(

Now I'm gonna go read that space thread, which seems to have escaped retardation so far.
Retards cannot into space?
:troll:

AngryKobold

Arcane
wtf's goin' on itt

I'm not absoutely sure... but I believe that's the main theme:

pzwVUtB.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Not really. I knew (and said) on day one that SCIENCE was doomed to be Son Of GD. What I didn't anticipate was that GD itself would incline as a result. All in all not much has changed, you still have one subforum where you have to sift through the shit to find good threads, it's just a different subforum now.

And tiagocc just won this thread. Double points for making the majority clear on one side.

EG

Nullified
Not really. I knew (and said) on day one that SCIENCE was doomed to be Son Of GD. What I didn't anticipate was that GD itself would incline as a result. All in all not much has changed, you still have one subforum where you have to sift through the shit to find good threads, it's just a different subforum now.

And tiagocc just won this thread. Double points for making the majority clear on one side.

Oh, it was doomed when it was Crispy's Emma Watson technology forum. I don't know if it was meant to be doomed when such nonsense was purged and it was converted to Science! But, I am fallible.

DraQ

Arcane

Oh, it was doomed when it was Crispy's Emma Watson technology forum. I don't know if it was meant to be doomed when such nonsense was purged and it was converted to Science! But, I am fallible.
Maybe we should split it into subforums and hope shit settles in 1-2 of them?

Syl

Cipher
FREE JIM PROFIT!

Banning is illegal!

The guy has a point. While the rape analogy is of course exagerated, what happens everyday on internet forums is indeed illegal.

On logging IP: Under EU laws (and probably US too), websites, forums, etc... are not allowed to keep that information indefinitly. A few years at maximum, depending on jurisdiction. So yeah, the fact that the Codex still has the old IP adresses of Bryce (and all the other users) is illegal.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's a good thing we don't operate under European or US law then. :smug:

Kz3r0

Arcane
On logging IP: Under EU laws (and probably US too), websites, forums, etc... are not allowed to keep that information indefinitly. A few years at maximum, depending on jurisdiction. So yeah, the fact that the Codex still has the old IP adresses of Bryce (and all the other users) is illegal.
:lol:

Glyphwright

There really should be a law limiting what moderators can and cannot do to the users of their internet forum. I know, I know, it's your site, you own it and make the rules - but the issue of owning the web server is only one side of the coin. An internet forum is not defined by its server, webspace, engine, software, or DNS - it is defined by the set of users who create content by interacting with one another. In this sense, we (Glyphwrights, FretRiders, Leftists, racists and trannies) are the RPGCodex, and rpgcodex.net is merely the access point of our virtual meeting place. And this goes for any other forum. This is the difference between a blog and a forum - a blog is defined primarily by the content created by the owner of the blog - other members' comments are merely an optional addition, I've read a few interesting blogs that were essentially devoid of comments for one reason or the other, and most of them are being updated regularly. A forum who has no posters aside from its owner and staff, however, is an absurdity on the verge of obsolescence. So basically, moderators have absolutely no right to exclude a certain member of the forum from participating in the discussion on the basis of personal feelings, divergent views, disagreements, or private information. This is not your playpen. This is our playpen. You're simply here because you volunteered to sustain this virtual meeting place, and members' donations are your reward.

And yet, most if not all forums maintain a bizarre culture of moderator elitism, indirectly maintaining moderators as "forum nobility" whose actions may not be questioned or challenged (many forums blatantly state "Anyone who questions a moderator's actions will be banned"), who must be respected to a degree far above any "regular" posters, and whose views on a topic may not be disagreed with. RPGCodex is far better than most forums in this respect, of course, but it's not flawless.

The only way to battle the culture of forum totalitarianism and moderator entitlement is by enacting legislation that puts forum moderation under law enforcement scrutiny. When I got stealth-banned at Dragonmount for politely, calmly and rationally explaining that, in my opinion, the Wheel of Time is a horrible fantasy series and that the final volume was an incoherent mess that can be barely called a novel, there had to be a way for me to complain about unfair treatment on part of the Dragonmount administration. You can't ban people for having a different opinion. It's a violation of inalienable human rights. Inalienable, as in, they are in full effect regardless of what you wrote in your forum rules.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wonderfull. You faggots just provided Liberal with a new trolling shtick. Natural Law and its application in online ideas exchange.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom