Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Guido Henkel's Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore - CANCELLED

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
And what is it exactly that isn't known about Deathfire at the moment?

I can think of some, but I just realized it's not that it's fuzzy (pardon...). It's just that the theme and pitch isn't attractive enough. And if that's the case people don't dig deeper anymore. Someone who watches only the first presentation video will be left with a fuzzy impression. That's probably where the statement "unclear setting" comes from. Though I agree it wouldn't hurt to drop a line about another kickstarter - as devs should help each other, and especially if they were contacted.

Stabwound

Arcane
While I can kind of see where the Mandate guys are coming from, they're coming across kind of douchey. It's funny that they attribute their large jump to the Torment plug, when it's pretty obvious it was more because of the Angry Joe video which came out the day before. Their game wouldn't have even been funded if it wasn't for him.

It's a shame because while Guido fixed his pitch a bit, but it's way too late now. The inclusion of the $100 (extra) electronic dice implementation has such niche appeal that I'm surprised he focused any time and energy on it. If they wanted to do something like that there's no reason they couldn't just let people use any dice they have around the house and do it manually. Seems like a pain in the ass for a single player game, anyway.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The $100 (extra) electronic dice implementation has such niche appeal that I'm surprised he focused any time and energy on it.
Yeah. Somehow it seems Guido is stuck in the past, between Pen & Paper assets, REAL paper... REAL pens... REAL dices... and REAL trading cards. I don't think it's possible to bridge the gap between tabletop and computer like that. People prefer either one or the other.

Alchemist

Arcane
The $100 (extra) electronic dice implementation has such niche appeal that I'm surprised he focused any time and energy on it.
Yeah. Somehow it seems Guido is stuck in the past, between Pen & Paper assets, REAL paper... REAL pens... REAL dices... and REAL trading cards. I don't think it's possible to bridge the gap between tabletop and computer like that. People prefer either one or the other.
I'll agree the dice gadget is kinda out of left field (not interested in it for Deathfire personally), but there is actually quite a bit of overlap between tabletop gamers and old-school CRPG players. I'm into both myself. You'll find many CRPG developers have their roots in tabletop games and still play them.

The dice+ thing might be cool if the entire game looked like a virtual tabletop, with miniatures and everything. And if it was a lot cheaper.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, it's better for him to be excited, so he will actually finish the game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I dedicate my 10000th post in the memory of Guido's lost 10000 dollars.

One week to go for mister Henkel. Impending doom. I wonder how many publishers he's talking to now.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I was just about to warn you of the same thing. This scam happened at another project but wasn't discovered until the pledging was over and couldn't be collected. So they were $10,000 short for funding.

Some people....

:Flash:

Arcane
Guido Henkel wrote a blog post for forevergeek, he hid it somewhere in the kickstarter comments.

He writes about the development of the RPG genre and is quite outspoken about the decline:
Guido Henkel said:
Or rather, they created an action game and gave it the caché of a role-playing game, because at its core, “Diablo” is no more than a glorified version of “Gauntlet,” a coin-up game with no role-playing affiliations whatsoever. And just like that the true roots of RPGs were all but forgotten.
[...]
Even huge role-playing hits like “Skyrim” offer very little of the true spirit of role-playing, and it appears that many players now have never played a true RPG.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Guido Henkel said:
Even huge role-playing hits like “Skyrim” offer very little of the true spirit of role-playing, and it appears that many players now have never played a true RPG.
That's true enough

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guido Henkel wrote a blog post for forevergeek, he hid it somewhere in the kickstarter comments.

He writes about the development of the RPG genre and is quite outspoken about the decline:
Guido Henkel said:
Or rather, they created an action game and gave it the caché of a role-playing game, because at its core, “Diablo” is no more than a glorified version of “Gauntlet,” a coin-up game with no role-playing affiliations whatsoever. And just like that the true roots of RPGs were all but forgotten.
[...]

I think I've read that before? He may be paraphrasing something he wrote elsewhere.

In any case, good article, but I don't think it's correct to pin the decline of RPGs on Diablo. Diablo and its clones were quickly spun off into their own self-contained subgenre and they seem to have had a remarkably muted effect on the CRPG genre as a whole.

He should join the Codex.

Uh Guido Henkel

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Nice, it made a 10K jump again yesterday, so it surpassed 1/3 of the required funding. Already more than I expected.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
FYI, The Mandate crew now made a pretty big shout-out about Deathfire.

If they can't even make up their minds about a Kickstarter shout-out, why should anyone trust them to manage a whole development project?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think it's pretty stupid to limit the 20$ tier to 1,500 people. A pretty arbitrary figure that adds up only to 30,000$

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I think it's pretty stupid to limit the 20$ tier to 1,500 people.
Honestly, I thought the same when l first looked at the rewards. It also excludes people who want to spend the bare minimum to buy this game. It's a beginner mistake... something like this should not happen.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
And how many kickstarters had those studios run beforehand? You can still make mistakes on a successful kickstarter.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
They could have chosen for example 10,000, and people would still be happily ordering that tier - because everyone likes to do good things, but also everyone likes the feeling when it comes with a huge discount.

If the intention of this move was to create a sort of wow! effect for a larger number of initial backers in the first hours and days, they created more like a psychological barrier during the mid and end game. I'm sure many people will think about *maybe* backing for a moment, then see that the first tier is already gone and think *maybe not*.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom