Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

Black

Arcane
Fun factoid: there was this one secret weapon they added back in 2013 and was only found this year. You have to fulfill some really obscure conditions to get it.
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Silver_Edge

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
So after owning the game for over 15 years and still not being a 'God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals' I decided it was time to fix this. I jammed my face into every crevice and wall to get Legendary Cartographer, I spent a small fortune on party animal items. The last one title was Legendary Vanquisher. The last zone to vanquish was Kessex Peak.
nKqRCPv.png

Fighting dozens of level 30 bandits with meta-ish builds was appropriate for the ultimate bragging rights. And then

2HaExfv.png

I even got congratulated for it, in the usual online manner-
pLcTiJ6.jpg

Now I can finally start playing the game.

Black

Arcane
Asssassasasasin. I always veer towards lightly armored melee high risk/reward classes.

Codex Year of the Donut
Anyone know where I can buy cheap keys for this game? Could only find keys going for 20 to 30 Euros per game (the game's almost two decades old, wtf?)
any key reseller should have it as the cdkeys aren't region locked but have regional pricing

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
ok actually i don't think it's against the rule. the site is called elitepvper and sellers are reviewed. find one with positive review and look at comments. i got my factions and prophe keys for 4 € each and got no issues , but it's not guaranteed it will be the same for you. i would buy from there since very cheap prices.
or gameliebe wich also sells GW keys and is the go to for reliable and cheap ( albeit much less than epvp) gw keys

Phos

edit: seems gameliebe doesnt offer discounts on gw anymore, so the only option left is the forum i mentioned

Drakortha

Liturgist
One of my regrets is not getting into GW1 back in the day. I remember purchasing it with Nightfall from a retail store, and I was interested in playing it co-operatively with my brothers. I managed to play with them only a few times but they weren't very interested. I only played it solo very briefly before I moved onto other games (Planetside 1/Bf2142/Tribes2). I suppose I just didn't have the drive to play it alone, but looking back I realize now what I missed out on.

I jumped on GW2 when it launched and I've been playing it ever since and I've fallen in love with it's world and setting, in a lot of ways it's made up for the shortcomings that I see with Elder Scrolls these days, which used to be the main fantasy world I enjoyed since Morrowind.

It's sad really. I can't see myself ever getting into GW1 now, since I've grown accustomed to the gameplay of GW2 which I know a lot of you probably think is a step backwards but I think it made a lot of step forwards as well. The movement + added mounts is phenomenal for any MMO. Anyway, I won't keep rambling. I just wanted to pay my respects to the original Guild Wars and the potential love that never became reality for me.

Last edited:

dacencora

There’s not a whole lot connecting them (GW2 lore changes a lot compared to GW1)

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I spent over 2500h in GW1 and about the only thing I remember Vizier Khilbron is the lich, that's about it. And this only because there was a pvp guild that had a name Vizier Khibron is the [lich] so every time they won HoH their name was broadcasted over every served and every instance, effectively spoiling the main plot for those who had just started Prophecies :D.

now that you mention it, i have no memories of gw's last boss. i remember shiro, i remember the nightfall's one, but nothing about vanilla or last expansion's.

The Lich only showed up as an antagonist at the end of the 2nd to last mission (though you see Vizier Khilbrion of course and he's blatantly evil). He's actually a super weak final boss and nowadays most parties just annihilate him (though keep in mind that at prophecies launch no one knew how to play and the power level was way weaker, so he was probably fine then and just never got an update). He's actually more notable in that he shows up in the 2nd to last mission of Nightfall with a much more difficult set of skills along with Shiro which is probably the toughest fight in the main campaigns and at the end of a very long mission.

Seriously https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Undead_Lich lmao that weakass skill line in hell's precipice.

EotN final boss was literally the Bed of Chaos.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
he's blatantly evil
How can you say that, he merely has a thicc Russian accent, reptile eyes and can summon sick undead unlike regular necromancers. And he also comes from a kingdom that one day mysteriously vanished.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Lich only showed up as an antagonist at the end of the 2nd to last mission (though you see Vizier Khilbrion of course and he's blatantly evil). He's actually a super weak final boss and nowadays most parties just annihilate him (though keep in mind that at prophecies launch no one knew how to play and the power level was way weaker, so he was probably fine then and just never got an update). He's actually more notable in that he shows up in the 2nd to last mission of Nightfall with a much more difficult set of skills along with Shiro which is probably the toughest fight in the main campaigns and at the end of a very long mission.

Seriously https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Undead_Lich lmao that weakass skill line in hell's precipice.

When prophecies was released back in 2005, there were no consumables to speak of, no heroes and the skill set was limited to that of Prophecies ofc. Even then the Lich was not a big deal iirc.
I wished I had spent all my time in pvp though.

When prophecies was released back in 2005, there were no consumables to speak of, no heroes and the skill set was limited to that of Prophecies ofc. Even then the Lich was not a big deal iirc.
I wished I had spent all my time in pvp though.

Plenty of people back then were running around in non-max armor even at end game, there were no henchmen (or maybe the issue was that henchmen couldn't be infused, I can't recall), and because monks were an unpopular PvE class plenty of groups simply didn't have a dedicated healer. Though even still, I think the Titans and Mursaat were always much harder than the Lich himself.

As someone who was something of an expert at getting legendary survivor with multiple characters running HM Masters/Bonus missions w/henchmen before heroes were even introduced, Prophecies was absolutely trivial if you knew what you were doing except for one of the desert missions (very hard bonus objective) and the Glint mission (some of those room effects could screw you bad). But the dangerous stuff was really always in Factions and then later Nightfall. I don't recall much that was dangerous in EotN though by that time I was pretty much done with all my legendary survivor runs (I had way too much free time as a kid).

Last edited:

tbh I've found the lich pretty harmless in Gate of Madness too (albeit less so than in Prophecies); Shiro is the real threat and when doing masters I always kill Shiro at the entrance then just kite the lich since he doesn't really pose a hazard.

tbh I've found the lich pretty harmless in Gate of Madness too (albeit less so than in Prophecies); Shiro is the real threat and when doing masters I always kill Shiro at the entrance then just kite the lich since he doesn't really pose a hazard.

Yeah that's the cheese strat especially if you pull only one of them. The lich has quite powerful single target damage and enchantment removal that can fuck you while fighting shiro (enchantments being kind of needed to tank him for most teams), but if you just apply weakness to the lich and ignore him he's kind of chill.

Even ignoring the final fight though, probably the hardest mission in nightfall. Lots of tricky spawns of high level enemies. I tried to PUG through missions when possible but it was like a 2/3rds failure rate if people weren't paying attention to what I was drawing on the map.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom