Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty Gear Strive - ArcSys fighting game

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Glad to see that Axl is still as fucking annoying as ever. Fuck him, and his whole existence. Disappointed with Wolf Girl, she looks really generic, and lol @ that super slow overhead.
Where is I-No? God damnit. Already bed enough, that Bedman isn't in the game, but no I-No either?

Am really impressed with the stages though. The overall presentation is incredible.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Please tell us, how does GG not have gameplay.
Have you first of all played any Guilty Gear or even BlazBlue? Seriously, have you? The story modes are one long ass fucking cutscene with save points. 0 gameplay. It even says in the damn trailer.
I don't get how you wankers are like this with such confidence.

I mean, Codexers aren't likely to play fighting games for their story modes.

Game looks incredible. I've played the series since the very first GG, on PSX. GGX was almost a revelation. Played a lot of it at the arcades, up to #R. I'm too old for this shit now, but if I were still playing FGs, I would definitely pick this up.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Please tell us, how does GG not have gameplay.
Have you first of all played any Guilty Gear or even BlazBlue? Seriously, have you? The story modes are one long ass fucking cutscene with save points. 0 gameplay. It even says in the damn trailer.
I don't get how you wankers are like this with such confidence.
I played Guilty Gear XX. So I know for a fact that you are talking out of your ass. In the story modes there are battles, which are connected with cutscenes.

First battle starts at 1:20.

And even if the storymode was just cutscenes, it still doesn't mean that GG doesn't have gameplay, when the story mode is like 5% of the game and the other modes are all about fighthing.

Momock

Augur
But I want muh story mode with gameplay. Fuck that kinetic novel bullcrap. I don't care if YOU don't care.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Zato=1 starter guide

Beautiful.

3b53b557bd680443db2e2a3ff80eac93_w200.gif

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I played Guilty Gear XX. So I know for a fact that you are talking out of your ass. In the story modes there are battles, which are connected with cutscenes.

Seriously.. how are you people like this.. anyway here:

And even if the storymode was just cutscenes, it still doesn't mean that GG doesn't have gameplay, when the story mode is like 5% of the game and the other modes are all about fighthing.

Now you are just making excuses.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Seriously.. how are you people like this.. anyway here:

I've shown you that the story mode had battles in XX. I didn't know that they changed it since. But this is even more awesome, they are giving us a full anime film in the game, plus all the characters and gamemodes. This is the dream come true!

Now you are just making excuses.
Yes

Generic-Giant-Spider

Axl is gonna be my day one. Thank god he no longer wears jorts.

Also story mode without gameplay is pretty lolworthy. You use story mode as an elaborate character tutorial, not a fuckin' anime episode.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Axl is gonna be my day one. Thank god he no longer wears jorts.

Also story mode without gameplay is pretty lolworthy. You use story mode as an elaborate character tutorial, not a fuckin' anime episode.

I don't see it as negative. If you are into the lore and are tired of playing or training, you can sit back and relax every now and then.

It's worse not wanting to play and having to face bad AI to advance in the story.

If you don't care about the lore it doesn't make a difference.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Well there's the thing, who the fuck plays a fighting game just for THE LORE? I'd rather they spent that time and effort on something that contributes to the fighting game itself, even if it's some goofy fun mode like Tekken Force. I can't imagine why they'd make something most people are probably going to watch on YouTube before the official release once leak videos come out a week before. Give a mode that actually means something to the player and tell the lore through that if it's so important.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well there's the thing, who the fuck plays a fighting game just for THE LORE? I'd rather they spent that time and effort on something that contributes to the fighting game itself, even if it's some goofy fun mode like Tekken Force. I can't imagine why they'd make something most people are probably going to watch on YouTube before the official release once leak videos come out a week before. Give a mode that actually means something to the player and tell the lore through that if it's so important.

A good idea could be fighting some bosses and enemies unique to the story mode, and not included in the multiplayer, that could teach beginners some mechanics and be puzzles to more experienced players. But that would require resources that they prefer to invest in other areas.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Giovanna starter guide

and some gameplay from all the characters that will be in Beta Test

Last edited:

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Game systems explained, plus Instant FD introduction. Basically different types of block allow you to control distance to the opponent wi

Plus a small Millia CMV to show off some combo potential of the game

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Apparently early testers are reporting the rollback netcode is working great across long distances.

:takemymoney:

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Apparently early testers are reporting the rollback netcode is working great across long distances.

:takemymoney:
Yes, Justin Wong (US) said he was able to play with Japan and South Korea with "godlike" connection.

More about netcode: jiyunaJP (Japan) vs Tasty_Steve (California, USA)
123 MS/Rollback Frames: 2
Tasty Steve:"...From what I've played so far, this feels fine. And obviously Jiyuna is from Japan."

Last edited:
Rollback netcode is great, but it doesn't work miracles. I'd take those reports of "godlike" connections across continents with a bucket of salt.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah, rollback is currently as good as it gets but it's not the one stop problem solver for having an authentic match. Sadly the best fighting games come from Japan and sadly Japan doesn't give much of a shit about making actual good online. Sucks that the one genre that thrives off human interaction the most is also the one still fifteen years behind every other multiplayer out there.

Generic-Giant-Spider

elaborate please. do you mean good lobbies?

Nah, I mean how fighting games are the only genre where it is mandatory to have a wired connection on top of good internet and praying to the feudal lords of Japan they have bestowed upon thee Thy Rollback just to have anything even close to being an offline experience. If they could get away with it still they'd probably opt for those shitty GameSpy severs from the PS2 era.

After you play multiplayer in just about every other genre to near flawless consistency you start to see it less as a mountain of a task and more laziness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom