Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Half Life 2 is great and I love it

Curratum

It's true, though. When I booted up Half Life 2 I had no idea why the fuck there are people in white gas masks everywhere and what the hell was even going on. It was poorly introduced and felt forced and out of nowhere.

Sure, you get on with the program, but it's such a clumsy thing to do and for no apparent reason, unless you go read a wiki.

But at the end of the day none of it matters because both HL1 and 2 are garbage when it comes to the action and shooting and only average when it comes to everything else.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
It's true, though. When I booted up Half Life 2 I had no idea why the fuck there are people in white gas masks everywhere and what the hell was even going on. It was poorly introduced and felt forced and out of nowhere.

Sure, you get on with the program, but it's such a clumsy thing to do and for no apparent reason, unless you go read a wiki.

But at the end of the day none of it matters because both HL1 and 2 are garbage when it comes to the action and shooting and only average when it comes to everything else.
It's true, though. When I went outside last year I had no idea why the fuck there are people in rainbow face masks everywhere and what the hell was even going on. It was poorly introduced and felt forced and out of nowhere.

Sure, you get on with the program, but it's such a clumsy thing to do and for no apparent reason, unless you go read the news.

But at the end of the day none of it matters because real life is garbage.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
duke3d sux
Wellll Immmoooo. Duke3d was amazing and was better and earlier than Halfpint. Also Tribes, H&D, Unreal Tournament, Delta Force, System Shock were all better. Halflife was just a story driven version of the same thing with a slick presentation. But the gameplay wasn't very good. Also I think 'all the above' were nothing compared to QuakeWorld Team Fortress, but that idea was kind of stolen and ruined by others.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
duke3d sux
Wellll Immmoooo. Duke3d was amazing and was better and earlier than Halfpint. Also Tribes, H&D, Unreal Tournament, Delta Force, System Shock were all better. Halflife was just a story driven version of the same thing with a slick presentation. But the gameplay wasn't very good. Also I think 'all the above' were nothing compared to QuakeWorld Team Fortress, but that idea was kind of stolen and ruined by others.
I joke, Duke 3D is great. But I still think it's spoiled by its weaksauce guns, whereas Half-Life's guns are awesomebuttonsauce!

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Trash game for Trash brains.

But I gotta give it to fat man Gaben he knows his audience well. I like how they put the mongrel Alyx in the game so they can appeal to braindead 13 year old coomers. Oh wow Gordon good job you pushed that button like a smart man, well done Grodon you shot that bad man with nerf gun and on it goes for the whole game and episode 1. In episode 2 even her dad tells you to fuck her :hahano:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

But I gotta give it to fat man Gaben he knows his audience well. I like how they put the mongrel Alyx in the game so they can appeal to braindead 13 year old coomers. Oh wow Gordon good job you pushed that button like a smart man, well done Grodon you shot that bad man with nerf gun and on it goes for the whole game and episode 1. In episode 2 even her dad tells you to fuck her :hahano:

The later levels in HL2 where you go through the Combine fortress with Alyx hacking the doors while you either wait or push a button for her were among the lamest levels of the entire game.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

The later levels in HL2 where you go through the Combine fortress with Alyx hacking the doors while you either wait or push a button for her were among the lamest levels of the entire game.
but what about the part where alyx fucking dies

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't fucking care about a character who holds lengthy monologues at me while my own character is just a mute who doesn't respond. Zero actual character interaction dynamics.
Just some chick saying "Whoa Gordon you're great!" while I bash her invincible cunt with a crowbar lmao

The stupid way HL2 did storytelling made me not give a shit about any of the NPCs.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
If only that bitch stayed dead instead you have to do a boring fetch quest with some abomination to save her golden cunt.

This is your friend btw.

latest

:prosper::prosper::prosper:

And you dont even get to fuck her after all of this bullshit :hahano::hahano:

schru

Arcane
I think Unreal meant that peculiar staircase and corridor that Valve set up seemingly just to kill Alyx at least once in combat in the whole game because she runs ahead of the player into a bunch of soldiers. Normally all the important NPCs in the games regenerate their health so quickly that it's pretty much impossible for them to get killed.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Greatest problems of HL 2 is that was released when physics engines were starting to be a thing, when I was a teenager, I loved all those physics "puzzles" that time now I feel "Goddamit why they made people losing hours trying to fill buckets with concrete blocks?". There are some nice ideas in there though and Half Life 2 has a pretty decent shotgun that is fun to use, to me, any FPS that passes the shotgun test is worthy of playing despite all problems. Even the physics puzzles, despite being having their "charm" kinda outdated at this point were nice to give you the feeling you were going on a journey where you needed to overcome obstacles on the way and not just press W until the end.

Is Half Life 2 the greatest FPS of all time? Nope, people overrated it as fuck but compared to complete diarrhea like Call of Duty and Halo, it is a masterpiece.

Egosphere

Arcane

People were overawed at release by the best parts of HL2, like first arriving in 17, the visit to Ravenholm, the battle through the streets against the striders at the end etc.
Even the parts that nowadays feel stale like the vehicle sections were very exciting when first encountered. It's hard to gauge a game accurately as time goes by, simply because the genre itself changes and may wear out the mechanics/settings that were once fresh and interesting. In 2004, HL2 was fantastic.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I don't think that I have ever left the train station in this game; have had it installed for years.

(Same with Witcher 3; had it installed since day one, and never bothered exiting the tutorial.)

Edit:
Just decided to look it up in the library... It doesn't even list a playtime stat for me.
halflife2.jpg

Last edited:
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's hard to gauge a game accurately as time goes by, simply because the genre itself changes and may wear out the mechanics/settings that were once fresh and interesting. In 2004, HL2 was fantastic.
Quite the opposite: It's easier to judge a game as time goes by. I only played the original Doom for the first time in its entirety a couple of years ago and while the graphics aren't very impresive these days, the design still is. Even 30 years down the road the balancing for weapons and monsters are second to none and the level design has some jaw-dropping surprises even after all these years. In 98, Unreal or Half-Life were praised to high heaven for their graphics, whereas Thief got shit in contemporary reviews because it didn't have all the most modern graphical bells and whistles, but when you play it today, the general art direction holds up remarkably well (to say nothing about the actual gameplay).

In short, a good game will always be a good game. Whereas a mediocre game (like HL2) has always been mediocre, even in 2004. But back then the consoomers were bamboozled by the fluff. It's only after the novelty wears off that people are starting to see HL2 for what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom