Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Harebrained Schemes General Discussion Thread

Will HBS stay on the path of the incline?

• Yes, it will always stay on the right side

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • For some time yes, then it will inevitably fall

Votes: 45 16.8%
  • It already started becoming a decline

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • It is alrady a decline

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • It was never an incline to begin with.

Votes: 69 25.7%
  • How the fuck could I know?

Votes: 47 17.5%
  • kingcomrade in order to make well thought answers meaningles

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

wishbonetail

Learned
I think he means that instead of playing a game, he spent 2 hours reading.
I think he means he's an extreme storyfag in denial.
Buddy, this is a wrong game to talk about game mechanics. Basically, it is a VN withTB battles.Big story and little character stories are all there is to it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Shadowrun Trilogy is a collection of three critically acclaimed role-playing games in the iconic fantasy-cyberpunk Shadowrun setting available now on consoles!

Created over 30 years ago, Shadowrun remains one of the most original and cherished table-top role-playing settings.
Delve into a novel-like branching narrative full of sharp prose and deep character development hearkening back to the golden age of cRPGs with Shadowrun Trilogy.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Do these really have branching narrative? All I remember is giving up after first character introduction took more reading than the Bible, and then just 1111 from combat to combat.

Codex Year of the Donut
Do these really have branching narrative? All I remember is giving up after first character introduction took more reading than the Bible, and then just 1111 from combat to combat.
dragonfall definitely does to some extent towards the end, but a lot of missions themselves are fairly linear
hong kong, idk, only played it once

Smerlus

Educated
a friend and I played it about the same time and some of the decisions I picked ended up making certain missions easier than what he went through. There's nothing mind blowing about it and a single playthrough will get you the overall idea of the game.

agris

Arcane
Patron

It’s not a game that hangs its hat on cnc. It is a fairly easy squad-based TB combat game tied together with a roughly linear storyline. If you don’t like the atmosphere, ie story and art, it is 100% not worth playing imo.

Last edited:

Fredward

Scholar
Jon Everist, the composer for most of HBS games, has been posting pics on Twitter with Mitch Gitelman and an orchestra room so they're making a soundtrack for something.

I don't think it's Battletech 2 but I've been waiting for a new HBS rpg sooooo...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Turn-based, eh? I wonder when they will be able to share anything.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Turn-based, eh? I wonder when they will be able to share anything.
Yeah that's nothing new https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...general-discussion-thread.106230/post-6474192 https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...general-discussion-thread.106230/post-7740461 https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...general-discussion-thread.106230/post-7746304

If they don't announce anything by summer 2023 it'll be a fair assumption to make that It's Over for HBS. Paradox has been funding two games with nothing to show for it for four-going-on-five years (though to be accurate, the lead designers of both titles didn't join until 2020 so I guess aside from Battetech DLC, the second half of 2018 and 2019 were lost years). They cancelled Bloodlines 2 after five years with no end in sight; this time they have the benefit of never having announced anything.

any hope of a new shadowrun? i remember they said they would return to shadowrun after battletech.
Microsoft owns Shadowrun and now also own multiple RPG studios. It seems unlikely that they would license out their IP to what is now a rival studio. Circumstances change.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Haven't been any Glassdoor reviews for Harebrained in over a year and then this one pops up

Pretty Toxic, imo
Sep 3, 2022 - Programmer

Pros

- Pretty okay pay
- "jam week" where folks get to make up a project, meet coworkers they wouldn't normally meet, and just generally vibe
- There are some good folks here
- Good effort at diversity

Cons
==== tl;dr

In my experience, the culture here was toxic. I got screamed at by ~half the leads I worked with, and a handful of non-leads. Worked with a few folks who lied about their work.

==== Some Bad Culture Experiences

- Lot of screaming. I got screamed at by ~half the leads I worked with, and a handful of non-leads.

- A lead ordered me to not speak to leads (except for 2), and to not announce deadlines

- Worked with a lead who wasn't performing well, and started lying about his work to cover for it

- Had a lead who sometimes forgot the work I did, then announced that I hadn't done the work in a meeting

- Had a lead who misattributed my work to others

- Had a lead who got red and shouted at me during a meeting. Afterwards, he sat there, red-faced and slightly twitching.

- A guy pulled me into a call one time. Red-faced, screaming. Went on for about 10 minutes. Eventually, I pointed out that the thing that was making him mad was his mistake, not mine. He put on a forced laugh and left.

- Had a lead who frequently shouted at me until I stopped talking when we disagreed.

==== Non-culture cons

- Low PTO. It starts at ~10 days per year

- Decent pay, but software engineers could make a lot more elsewhere. Even at other game companies.

- Not a lot of room for growth

Game company that focuses on diversity ends up with unqualified rage monsters, you say? :M That would be a shame considering the previous reviews talked about what a chill place it was.

Wonder if rusty_shackleford is going to dismiss this guy because he used the word "toxic." :P

Jason Liang

Arcane
Wonder if @rusty_shackleford is going to dismiss this guy because he used the word "toxic." :P
sure am

libtards always eat their own eventually, their natural state is a purity spiral
a black spiral perhaps?
TribeBlackSpiralDancers.png

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
What are the probabilities of getting another Shadowrun game?
Nonzero, but only slightly. My own interest is moderate. The Shadowrun games were good. Battletech had some promise but they never resolved the fundamental flaws in their system. Bigger worry is that they're slowly sliding down the slope towards being too woke to function, aka "pozzed".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If they don't announce anything by summer 2023 it'll be a fair assumption to make that It's Over for HBS.
Good news, it is not over after all.

What are the probabilities of getting another Shadowrun game?

Microsoft owns Shadowrun and now also own multiple RPG studios. It seems unlikely that they would license out their IP to what is now a rival studio. Circumstances change.

Delterius

Arcane
Didn't they have to work through microsoft to get the Trilogy into consoles? I believe the original licensing agreement didn't include console releases at all. So maybe Paradox / Weissman and Microsoft still have a working relationship. After all why get one of your studios to start making Shadowrun games when you can profit right now from release Harebrained stuff on Xbox?

RegionalHobo

Scholar
if it s any rpg at all it would be a surprise imo

that said a man can dream, dragonfall was fantastic even with mediocre gameplay

agris

Arcane
Patron
maybe it'll be a GURPS-like squad tactics RPG with fine grain AP system, destructible environment, fully modeled ballistic hit system, non-linear itemization and short, pulpy writing

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Didn't they have to work through microsoft to get the Trilogy into consoles? I believe the original licensing agreement didn't include console releases at all. So maybe Paradox / Weissman and Microsoft still have a working relationship. After all why get one of your studios to start making Shadowrun games when you can profit right now from release Harebrained stuff on Xbox?
That was an already existing game, quick and easy money. Won't be any new games going forward.

maybe it'll be a GURPS-like squad tactics RPG with fine grain AP system, destructible environment, fully modeled ballistic hit system, non-linear itemization and short, pulpy writing
Given Lipo's enthusiasm we might actually get something close the former, but as for the latter, Jill, Anthea, and Shobo don't strike me as the "short, pulpy" type.

Delterius

Arcane
That was an already existing game, quick and easy money. Won't be any new games going forward.
Hmmm, I half expected you to google fu me wrong. I can see what you're saying, although - and you may call this copium - I still kinda hope that maybe someone on Microsoft thinks its better to make money on the side by licensing this stuff than expect one of their studios to spend time and money building a pipeline for a Shadowrun game of their own. Or maybe that they would be willing to do both at the same time - why not?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom