Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Heads Will Roll -- AUTHENTIC MEDIEVAL DATING RPG

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Funny thing about it is, the game was completely blocked in my country until about a week ago. Seems the dev decided to censor the main game and add the nudity back as a free patch, so Germans can buy it.

But this is actually a bad thing. Had the game been completely blocked for purchase here, I would have asked my Bulgarian pal to buy it for me as a gift. Games that are blocked for purchase in Germany can still be activated as a gift when bought for you by a friend living in another EU country.

This, of course, doesn't work with free patches. You can't gift something free. So now I'm stuck with the censored version!
VPN

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I played this a bit last night - "a bit" meaning 5 hours until I realized it's almost 5AM and I should probably go to sleep.

It's good. Feels a bit like Legionary's Life but with better graphics.

There are different weapon types, each of which has their own special attacks - swords, axes, maces, polearms. Shields can be broken, and you actually have to buy a new shield when yours gets wrecked in combat.
Combat is heavily based around stamina and exhaustion management. Attacks take stamina, kinda like in Dark Souls, and you need to take the recover action to replenish it during your turn. In addition to that, there's exhaustion which accumulates with each action. You have to take respite during your turn to lower it. The amount depends on your stat (either vitality or endurance, IIRC). Accumulating enough exhaustion will put you into the next exhaustion level, starting at fresh, going through winded and tired, and finally ending at "on last legs" and exhausted.

I noticed that the AI never takes respite, so the winning move is to get them to exhaust themselves to the point they'll never hit you but are easy to hit. This way I managed to defeat a knight who vastly outclassed me during the first storming of the walls scene. I like the way combat is really methodical here, it's all about ensuring your own survival, managing your exhaustion level, and whittling down the enemy through attrition. Armor is also really useful as it can fully block hits, and even when penetrated you don't take full damage. When you fight heavily armored opponents it's a game of exhausting them and aiming for their weakest spot, which simulates late medieval combat quite accurately.

There's a lot of complexity in the combat system and I'm enjoying it so far.

The story is presented in visual novel style - in fact, the engine this game runs on is RenPy, a popular VN engine. To the game's credit, I wouldn't have noticed that if I hadn't looked into the game folder itself and found the engine's files. It doesn't look like your average RenPy game.

There are plenty of choices and side quests to do. The "dating sim" part so far has been relatively subtle, not in your face at all. I met a French noblewoman while serving as an English man at arms in the 100 years war. She treated me as a guest and asked me on my honor to prevent the English army from raiding her estate. I did my best to protect her, and she was grateful for it. As a reward I got some saucy pictures of her, heh.
But the biggest choice - and plot twist - came when I was sent to assassinate an old French commander, a legendary knight whose death could turn the tide of the war in our favor. As I entered his tent, I was ambushed by the girl... who confessed to me that this is her father and if I kill him, she will kill herself.
First major choice between loyalty to your king, or to the woman. Of course I chose the woman :M

Apparently there are multiple paths through the game depending on your choices, and this particular choice led to a peace deal due to stalemate, and my character went on to seek new employment as a mercenary, starting chapter 2.
I'll definitely replay at some point to see if you get a different chapter 2 if you actually kill the guy.

Side quests also have some minor choices in them, your actions will improve or decrease your relationship with the soldiers and/or your commander, etc etc. Lots of nuances here.

My only criticism is that the writing is sometimes a little cringe, with medieval people talking too much like modern 21st century people (especially some of the women). Not in the typical western liberal "everyone is an SJW from California" style, just that they use too much modern slang and expressions that feel a little off.
Also, there are lots of grammatical errors. In particular, the devs don't know how articles work. It's the typical Slav English we all know and love. The devs are obviously Russians (you can pick English or Russian as the game's language) and their English is filled with the usual mistakes Russians make when speaking English. You need to have a tolerance for that, if awkward grammar and spelling mistakes break your immersion, you're gonna have a hard time.

Camel

Scholar
Apparently there are multiple paths through the game depending on your choices, and this particular choice led to a peace deal due to stalemate, and my character went on to seek new employment as a mercenary, starting chapter 2.
I'll definitely replay at some point to see if you get a different chapter 2 if you actually kill the guy.
You have chosen wisely. It doesn't really matter if you kill William de la Roche but it's way more satisfying to spare his life. You have a choice either to go back to England with the Prince or stay and make Rennes great again(it's much more interesting).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I can see what got JF's attention.
ss_70830dbb4dbfe23d4b6c55a4f201d065e95226e6.1920x1080.jpg

Very shameless game.

Modron

Arcane
I played the prologue didn't mind they were copying a leginoary's life in many aspects, I hear they about doubled the length of this compared to the first game so I will probably pick it up sometime.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Finished the Make Rennes Great Again chapter, which was a lot of fun. You can choose to do a couple of quests to sabotage the enemy mercenaries, and also go out to fight random encounters to weaken their power level.

So at least in that chapter, it was a little more open than Legionary's Life.

I'm honestly quite impressed what they tickled out of the RenPy engine.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
It's a retread of the first game but the combat is finally FIXED, no longer is the winning option the 10 geld wooden club with weapon damage trinkets stacked on top. Crafting is really worthwhile, just to make armor, and of course to get double the consumables to pop when crafting.
I really really want to reach new content, I'm not seeing it yet.
I'm off to Rennes now
fpyVW5O.jpg

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
UYBkj3g.jpg
well this is new, I got raped, wtf was this
I immediately slapped the back bitch's neck, barely survived and then she proceeded fuck me up majorly
I had 40 weapon skill motherfucker, the death defying amulet didn't do shit

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Reached the Outremer, and holy shit does combat get tough there.
You take fatigue each turn due to heat, while your enemies don't, leading to you being constantly out of breath. Hard fucking core, man.

VerSacrum

Educated
Authentic as in the girls rarely bathe and don't shave?
This is kind of a myth. Before the Black Death most European towns sported baths of some sort (regardless of water quality). And shaving body hair was a popular method of fighting lice.
True, and medieval people were autistically afraid of bad smells (miasma), they thought this would transmit disease.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
"People don't bathe" is actually an early modern phenomenon. The court of Louis XIV didn't bathe, instead just using perfume to mask the smell lmao.

Most myths about the middle ages happened centuries later, in the early modern age.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
the estoc rulez, it just deletes mooks
and you get to have a shield

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
It seems like the Outremer region is the final one, all the choices there lead to an ending.

- if you find Raynault in the desert, he wants you to kill him and you get an ending where you return home and deliver the news of his death
- if you let time pass without finding him, you can choose to go back home for 1000 florins, but the ship gets lost and you're never heard from again; game ends
- you can choose to stay in the Outremer, join up with crusaders, but your expedition fails and you get a similar "never heard from again" ending
- you can choose to stay with the barefoot girl you seduced, but her father thinks you're too low station, you join up with crusaders to earn a higher station but the expedition fails and you get a similar ending as above

There doesn't seem to be a way to leave the Outremer successfully, or get a good ending (apart from finding Raynault, which is sort of good I guess? As in, you fulfil your duty, grim as it may be).

Guess I'll have to start anew and see where else the game can go.

laclongquan

Arcane
how many statues, paintings, etc., of women have you seen that have body hair?
the idea of body hair removal being a modern thing is a fabrication

Got a source? I remember reading about a crusader knight who was amazed to have a local barber shave his pubic hair, he was so impressed he forced the barber to do it to his wife as well.

An account by the 12th century chronicler Usama ibn Munqidh;

"I heard a similar case from a bath attendant called Salim from Ma'arra, who worked in one of my fathers bathhouses. This is his tale:

I earned my living in Ma'arra by opening a bathhouse. One day a Frankish knight came in. They do not follow our custom of wearing a cloth around their waist while they are at the baths, and this fellow put his hand, snatched off my loin-cloth and threw it away. He saw at once that I had just recently shaved my pubic hair.

'Salim!' he exclaimed! I came toward him and he pointed to that part of me.

'Salim! You shall certainly do the same for me!' and he lay down flat on his back. His "hair" was as long as his beard. I shaved him, and when he had felt the place with his hand and found it agreeably smooth, he said: 'Salim, you must certainly do the same for my Dama'. In their language Dama means lady, or wife. He sent his valet to fetch his wife, and when they arrived and the valet brought her in, she lay down on her back and he said to me:

'Do to her what you did to me.' So I shaved her pubic hair, while her husband stood. Then he thanked me and paid me for my services.
I think I read one or two similar tales in 1001 Night Tales.

Martyr

Arcane
Funny thing about it is, the game was completely blocked in my country until about a week ago. Seems the dev decided to censor the main game and add the nudity back as a free patch, so Germans can buy it.

But this is actually a bad thing. Had the game been completely blocked for purchase here, I would have asked my Bulgarian pal to buy it for me as a gift. Games that are blocked for purchase in Germany can still be activated as a gift when bought for you by a friend living in another EU country.

This, of course, doesn't work with free patches. You can't gift something free. So now I'm stuck with the censored version!

is this also the case with the version sold on gog?
sometimes gog does censor games for germans (Kane & Lynch for example), but there's an easy thing you can do to get the international version.

lightbane

Arcane
Do you get a discount if you possess the OG game? As this seems to be a sequel or remake of some sort rather than a patch.

Modron

Arcane
Do you get a discount if you possess the OG game? As this seems to be a sequel or remake of some sort rather than a patch.
Remake that added even more chapters to the game basically doubling the content as far I understand it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom