Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

J1M

Arcane
I played in the arena and got 5 wins. I feel p good about it given that this is the second time I try. Got booster, 60 gold and some dust. How much should I value the dust at? Is there a general idea of how much?

Sadly the rare I got was doombringer. That's one shit card right there, tried it in the Arena and regretted getting him each time.

Also I tried playing some priest. It was effective but highly boring, hue I heal dis 1/3 creature for infinite card advantage.
The value of dust is not well understood yet. Here are some thoughts:
Since each card you find in a booster makes it less likely you will find a new card in a booster, the value of dust will go up for you over time. On the other hand, at a certain point you will have all of the cards and if you do not care about golden cards the value of dust will drop to zero. (Gold will at least let you play in the arena.)

As far as how much dust is worth relative to gold, I can tell you that if you were to dust an entire card pack, on average you would receive 103 dust. (Based on a trial of about 2000 card packs someone recorded by watching streams. :lol:) Normally, you would only get about 40 dust, but you will sometimes get legendary/epic or gold cards that are worth a lot more dust. Due to this, I expect that internally Blizzard views 1 dust as being worth 1 gold.

In general, I would say that you should use your dust to buy a few essential commons that you will use in lots of decks. (Like a Faerie Dragon or Swamp Ooze.) Alternatively, you could use them to buy epics that support a specific deck you want to focus on. Personally, I am saving my dust for Ysera now because I want to use that card before it gets nerfed.

Interesting post. Though, crafting is pretty much 4x the cost of what you get for disassembling the card isn't it? If we measure this way, the dust/ gold value ratio is 4 to 1.

In any case you've convinced me to keep on to my dust until I got a bigger collection.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The disenchanting/crafting ratio changes depending on the rarity of the card. It's 5:40 for commons, for example, which is 1:8.

Another thing to consider is that you could always disenchant cards of every class except one, if you felt so inclined. Would make doing dailies more of a bitch though, and you'd have less deck variety, but it gets you a competitive deck faster.

Spending the dust on neutral cards is probably a good way to go though. Stuff like Azure Drake and Fairy Dragon are good in almost any deck. Azure drake costs only 1 more than ogre magi or the 2/4 gnome, and combines the best traits of both cards.

Multi-headed Cow

Gotta love cards with 4 attack.
Chillwind yeti best yeti.

And what Jim said about dust goes along with my reasoning. I'm planning on sitting on it until I've picked up more boosters (Either via arena or blowing $50 for a stack of 40, which I'm mighty tempted to do) so I hopefully will scoop up the commons I want, then I can burn dust on rares/epics/legendaries.
My bastard of a friend bought a 7 pack of boosters last night after using gold to buy 3 more (He absolutely hates the arena so welp). Out of those 10 boosters he got 2 legendaries and 5 or 6 epics. I hate him so fucking much. On the bright side the legendaries weren't anything TOO ridiculous, he got Loremaster Cho which kinda only seems good if you make a gimmicky discard deck which I don't think he has the cards to do yet (But which would be sorta fun), and the Beast which would be ok in a hunter deck. Turn 6 beast and turn 7 houndmaster buff it. Would only easily get countered by assassinate/execute/polymorph/hex, and if anyone silenced it it would lose the "Give your opponent a 3/3" deathrattle.

Zeriel

Arcane
All those big, legendary fatties really seem like they're designed to work either with creatures already on the board (Warsong Commander) or all the 0 cost class cards that give Charge or similar states. The only exception I can think of to this is stuff like saving Deathwing until the 0 card situation and playing it then.

Ragnaros + Divine Shield is pretty funny, incidentally.

J1M

Arcane
Interesting post. Though, crafting is pretty much 4x the cost of what you get for disassembling the card isn't it? If we measure this way, the dust/ gold value ratio is 4 to 1.

In any case you've convinced me to keep on to my dust until I got a bigger collection.
Only if you plan to turn them into dust again.

If you are really worried about maximizing the speed of completing your collection, you could choose to only ever buy one of each card with dust. This leads to a very boring time in constructed mode though.

Damned Registrations

There's actually a lot of legendary beasts. Mookla and king crush are both beasts as well (And King Krush ain't half bad, usually equates to a kill on the turn you play him.)

J1M

Arcane
Mookla is a fun card, but it doesn't belong in a real deck.

If you are really worried about maximizing the speed of completing your collection, you could choose to only ever buy one of each card with dust. This leads to a very boring time in constructed mode though.
Not sure I understand. When you say "dust an entire card pack" do you mean decomposing the cards into dust or creating the cards with dust?

Zeriel

Arcane
Out of curiosity, what are you guys at in the ranking medals in the constructed mode?

(That question goes for anyone.)

J1M

Arcane

Not sure I understand. When you say "dust an entire card pack" do you mean decomposing the cards into dust or creating the cards with dust?
If you convert all of the cards in a pack into dust.

J1M

Arcane
Out of curiosity, what are you guys at in the ranking medals in the constructed mode?

(That question goes for anyone.)
I am at 2-star Masters. The medals only indicate your highest level of achievement. Your rank will never go down. Although, there will be periodic resets with potential rewards.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I am 3 star diamond in non-arena, and diamond with no stars in arena.
I played a lot initially without really understanding the game though, and I played the games you are "supposed" to play vs CPU against ranked players instead :D Basic decks, hooo!

I trolled some Priest/Mage losers hard with a Lorewalker Cho in Arena (had to chose between that one, Alexstraza and some other useless legendary so I thought why not). Every time I played it, I could see them mousing over it for like a minute going WTF, and then always hesitating to throw spells and shit. Very fun card.

J1M

Arcane
I am 3 star diamond in non-arena, and diamond with no stars in arena.
I played a lot initially without really understanding the game though, and I played the games you are "supposed" to play vs CPU against ranked players instead :D Basic decks, hooo!

I trolled some Priest/Mage losers hard with a Lorewalker Cho in Arena (had to chose between that one, Alexstraza and some other useless legendary so I thought why not). Every time I played it, I could see them mousing over it for like a minute going WTF, and then always hesitating to throw spells and shit. Very fun card.
There are no stars for arena ranks. They are tied directly to your highest number of arena wins, 7 = diamond.

The way the stars system works for constructed is pretty simple. If your MMR is higher than your medal rank and you win a game, you gain a star/medal rank. When you are at your MMR and win you will not earn a star.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
There are no stars for arena ranks. They are tied directly to your highest number of arena wins, 7 = diamond.

The way the stars system works for constructed is pretty simple. If your MMR is higher than your medal rank and you win a game, you gain a star/medal rank. When you are at your MMR and win you will not earn a star.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Alright.
The game's not really competitive though. One person playing 10 games could run into a priest/mage 0 times, another could run into a priest/mage 10 times. :smug:

Multi-headed Cow

Thinking about blowing $50 on boosters, bros. Been playing a lot of it with my friend, and 40 boosters should give me a pretty good pile of cards to fuck with in constructed play. Free cards let you make some decent decks, but you end up reusing a lot of the good neutral cards and can't try anything particularly funky. 200 new cards might open that up some. Haven't spent $50 on a game in I don't know how long though. Fuck fuck fuck.

DakaSha

Arcane
Thinking about blowing $50 on boosters, bros. Been playing a lot of it with my friend, and 40 boosters should give me a pretty good pile of cards to fuck with in constructed play. Free cards let you make some decent decks, but you end up reusing a lot of the good neutral cards and can't try anything particularly funky. 200 new cards might open that up some. Haven't spent $50 on a game in I don't know how long though. Fuck fuck fuck.

As you know I spent $100 right away.
And some will consider this bad, some good, but I was looking at the crafting book and realized i have almost every card in the game (many/most of them twice), and 1000 dust to boot.

Ive already made a top tier rogue deck. Had literally every card needed. Havent tried making any other competitive decks yet (im not even at level 10 with all classes)

Multi-headed Cow

I'm at least 10 with every class (20 with warrior 'cause it's my favorite) and got the 100 wins award earlier today. And yet I only have like 23 listed wins total, including arena and constructed. Apparently they included friend games for those global wins 'cause playing with my bro is where most of my play is. +M

If you convert all of the cards in a pack into dust.
well..... Then you need much more than 100 dust to build an average pack. that makes each dust worth less than 1 in terms of what you can build with it, and since building cards is the purpose of dust that kind of has to be the measure.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, in contrast to most people I don't really have a problem with Mind Control. Okay, so it's bullshit in a game where only priest gets it, but whatever. I have lost way more games to Thoughtsteal than Mind Control, because you can play around MC. There's no playing around decking out a priest, and them just using Thought Steal to beat you with your own cards.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't really have a problem with either, they're part of the priest playstyle.

I take offense mainly with Shadow Word: Pain and Death. Those cards are real bullshit, they don't even fit the flavour of their wow counterparts.

Damned Registrations

Thoughtsteal is balanced just fine. It's the same cost and effect as the mage card draw spell. The tradeoff being that you don't draw out as fast but you get worse cards. And if 2 cards from a random enemy deck are BETTER than 2 cards from your own deck, you've designed a terrible, terrible deck with no synergy.

Mindcontrol is bullshit because it's an unavoidable 2 for 1 card advantage. Minimum. THAT really can't be played around, unless you deck is filled with worthless cards in which case you've already lost. God forbid you've spent a card enchanting a minion and that gets stolen, giving the priest a 4 for 1 advantage or worse.

J1M

Arcane
If you pull class cards with thought steal they are likely to be better than priest cards for you. There are areas where each class is lacking and being able to mix cards from two different classes can be a big advantage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom