Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Invites are random. I have WC3 and WoW + some expansions (which I haven't played in years) and still got a key.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Had WoW but without Cataclysm, SC 2 without expansions and still got a key. But I already had one from a giveaway so I gave it to an e-friend. Just thought it was weird they would send another one while I already was in beta.

Arena entry fee is not that hight and gold rewards are ok now(before it was even less so it was a welcome change), my main gripe with arena is the sheer amount of randomness and not the rewards. Would be cool if they allowed you to play with a constructed deck.

Ysera seems to be the most common dragon, I had her before the wipe and got her again shortly after it. Her dream cards are strong but she is easily countered, a silence or a mind control and it is gg. Other dragons have more immediate effects making them more effective for late game.

DakaSha

Arcane
Ysera is one definite card + a minimum of one lost card for the enemy.
shes great and op

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I got two invites on the same account (I gave it to TCG-fag friend, otherwise one of you bros would have gotten it). I have a lot of shit on my bnet account but that certainly hasn't helped me getting into any beta before.

Ysera is the best high cost legendary.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Ragnaros is much better imo. His immediate effect is always useful (unlike drawing a Ysera awakens when you're not even ahead on life) and he can't be dealt with using a fucking 2 mana cost owl. He's basically an 8/8 that fires a free pyroblast each turn. Plus his effect comes sooner. You can take out an enemy molten giant before he gets his turn. Ysera is basically giving up your turn to have a better next turn. Getting a 2 for 1 trade in and of itself isn't that impressive. If you drop Ysera and the enemy drops Gadgetzan, Preperation, Assassinate, Headrack- you certainly didn't come out ahead. Sprint nets you 4 for 1 card advantage for 2 less mana, is it broken?

It's still a good card, but it's overrated. I'd also rate antonidas above her. Fireballs are insanely good. Jaraxus is up there as well.

I dont really understand all the crying about the arena gold thing
As long as you arent ass its going to be fairly easy to keep buying into arenas. If you are good then you will have no problem. They are fairly generous with gold

And i even blew my first 200 i got in quests on packs

edit: btw is there any point making a competitive mage deck without pyroblast?
Many people are ass though :M I mean each match must have a winner and a loser, on average each participant must have 3 wins far as I understand.

If you get less than 5 wins I think Arena is pretty uneconomic, particularly if you take into account that you won't get gold per 3 in the arena.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Ragnaros is much better imo. His immediate effect is always useful (unlike drawing a Ysera awakens when you're not even ahead on life) and he can't be dealt with using a fucking 2 mana cost owl. He's basically an 8/8 that fires a free pyroblast each turn. Plus his effect comes sooner. You can take out an enemy molten giant before he gets his turn. Ysera is basically giving up your turn to have a better next turn. Getting a 2 for 1 trade in and of itself isn't that impressive. If you drop Ysera and the enemy drops Gadgetzan, Preperation, Assassinate, Headrack- you certainly didn't come out ahead. Sprint nets you 4 for 1 card advantage for 2 less mana, is it broken?

It's still a good card, but it's overrated. I'd also rate antonidas above her. Fireballs are insanely good. Jaraxus is up there as well.
At least she has 4 attack.

J1M

Arcane
As long as you arent ass its going to be fairly easy to keep buying into arenas. If you are good then you will have no problem. They are fairly generous with gold

Many people are ass though :M I mean each match must have a winner and a loser, on average each participant must have 3 wins far as I understand.

If you get less than 5 wins I think Arena is pretty uneconomic, particularly if you take into account that you won't get gold per 3 in the arena.
You have failed to assign value to the arena experience itself. Getting to play with new card combinations in a "fair" environment is worth 50 pretend coppers.

You have failed to assign value to the arena experience itself. Getting to play with new card combinations in a "fair" environment is worth 50 pretend coppers.
Maybe it is, for many people. But Dakasha referred to the gold value. The experience value is so subjective that it can't be measured at all.

Another 7-3, feelsgoodman.

Anyways ima do something

Im gonna arena and screenshot each of my picks with a small rationalization. I do in no way want to pretend that my choice is the best one. Feel free to criticize them

(Actually as I wrote this post, my draft went shit. Won't do it after all r00fles)

Multi-headed Cow

Just went 2-3 in arena as a mage. Was pretty bad. Didn't get much in the way of ridiculous mage removal (But even that one flamestrike almost carried me) and got rolled pretty hard. Final game I lost against a shaman because I had something like a 7/5 and a 5/5 on the field and all he had was that 1/1 totem. Big mistake. Bloodlust and windfury later and I got ded. After the fact I can't even remember if I passed up killing it intentionally or if I couldn't kill it because of killing other stuff, but I have the terrible feeling I could've killed it. Oh well.

On the bright side, my miserable arena run booster had King Mukla in it so that's fun.

Edit: Oh yeah, and to make that piss poor arena run even more soul crushing, I had Sylvanas in the deck. I actually won one of my games because of using removal on my own Sylvanas to steal the guy's fatty after clearing the rest of the board. Didn't save me the rest of the time though.
I wonder if that run was so brutal since I've had a 9 win run so it says I'm a "Grandmaster of the arena" and is matching me against crazy people.

Last edited by a moderator:

J1M

Arcane
Arena matchmaking is based on the record of your current run.

J1M

Arcane

Maybe it is, for many people. But Dakasha referred to the gold value. The experience value is so subjective that it can't be measured at all.
Something that is subjective or varied in value is not zero in value.

DakaSha

Arcane
Im not saying that you can play arena non stop if you are mediocre. Im saying:

a) if you play normal games (which i do), then you are pretty set
b) you always get a pack of cards from the arena run making it 'worth it'

If you ARE really good though, then arena is def sustainable as long as you do the dailies (which are completable by doing arena runs)

Multi-headed Cow

Im not saying that you can play arena non stop if you are mediocre. Im saying:

a) if you play normal games (which i do), then you are pretty set
b) you always get a pack of cards from the arena run making it 'worth it'

If you ARE really good though, then arena is def sustainable as long as you do the dailies (which are completable by doing arena runs)
Not to mention you're usually in an ok position with arena prizes no matter what. Even my garbage 2-3 run I ended up with something like 30-40 gold, so that ended up costing me 10-20 more gold than buying a regular booster, got me arena experience, and some dust on top. I never play arena non-stop anyway, about the max I'd be willing to do is two runs in a day as it is, and I'm more likely to do 0-1.

Multi-headed Cow

Anyone else get stiffed on a daily quest for Tueday? I had one I picked up for Monday, but I didn't get a new one all through Tuesday.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Sometimes it happens, I play a couple of games in normal and then the new quest appears. A bug I guess, some people mentioned it on their forum let's hope they'll fix it.

Something that is subjective or varied in value is not zero in value.
No, but it is not necessarily better to play in the Arena than to play in the play mode. That's completely subjective. Also gold is the main restriction in this game, so people are mostly thinking of gold when they refer to cost.

I get what you're trying to say, you think Arena is fun so it's worth the gold, but the fact is still that if you get the average result of 3/3, then Arena is pretty expensive, and even more so when you consider that you won't get the 20 gold that you'd otherwise get in the play mode. So from that gold perspective it is decidedly heavy on your gold.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Finallt got in! Add me:

berekan#2410

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom