Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Found a list of empirical data tracking hero power usage during the ATLC Week 4: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lCyRNUpN7InGTBMKd4OUlb8y1JXGEf_9ZfW3xITdbfw/edit#gid=0

Easy conclusion: Inspire Effects and Hero Power synergies need to be extremely strong. None of them have been thus far. On average the best players in the world are hero powering 2.3 times a game. We could obviously use a larger sample size, but this is a decent piece of data.

There is no getting around this. This isn't a Grim Patron misfire, this is the real deal. Children's Card Game School is in session unless something obscene is revealed in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure that there will be a couple competitive Inspire cards, but man, Blizz is slow rolling us with the spoilers and I don't know why when they're taking preorders next week.

Andhaira

Arcane
MEN

I have saved nearly 700 gold. Should I get the final BRM wing, or should i save the gold for the expansion which will release in around 1 month?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
MEN

I have saved nearly 700 gold. Should I get the final BRM wing, or should i save the gold for the expansion which will release in around 1 month?

Do you plan on playing The Dragon Deck? If so, yes. If no, then no.

You're petty much spending 700 gold for Blackwing Corruptor (ok in The Dragon Deck) and Nefarian (control finisher in some tier 2 decks).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'd try that in my Hobgoblin Warlock, looks fun enough for that deck. I hope they release more 1 attack minions.

Andhaira

Arcane
MEN

Do you plan on playing The Dragon Deck? If so, yes. If no, then no.

You're petty much spending 700 gold for Blackwing Corruptor (ok in The Dragon Deck) and Nefarian (control finisher in some tier 2 decks).

Ofcourse I want to eventually play a Dragodin, but not enough dragon cards for that yet, even with BRM.

I want the final wing for Blackwing, and Solemn Vigil.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Like I said, in an expansion of 130 cards you know 60-70% of them are going to be unplayable aside from gimmick decks. Out of the forty or so GvG commons, there are only about a dozen that are consistently played in constructed if you throw out mech mage. Out of the forty or so rares there are six or so used in constructed (maybe a couple more for niche/tech). Of the near thirty epics, like... three or four. Twenty legendaries... four or five.

GvG: 130ish cards and 30ish cards consistently used in constructed. Wow... lower than I thought. 25%. Rest are niche/arena cards.

Fake/real edit: I know six rares seems low from GvG but lets look at the cards.

Druid: Grove Tender, Recycle, Mech Beat Cat (two are decent but none see consistent constructed play)
Hunter: Call Pet, Metaltooth Leaper, King of Beasts (nope)
Mage: Unstable Portal, Soot Spewer, Goblin Blastmage (Blastmage I'll give 0.5 credit since it's in only one mage deck)
Paladin: Muster for Battle, Cobalt Guardian, Scarlet Purifier
Priest: Light of the Naruu, Shadow Boxer, Upgraded Repair Bot
Rogue: One-Eyed Cheat, Iron Sensei, Ogre Ninja
Shaman: Vitality Totem, Power Mace, Dunemaul Shaman (let's give power mace 0.5)
Warlock: Mistress of Pain, Implosion, Fel Cannon (you can give MoP 0.5 but I rarely see it)
Warrior: Screwjank Clunker, Siege Engine (Phage's favorite), Shield Maiden

Neutral: Target Dummy, Gnomish Inventor, Goblin Sapper, Illuminator, Lil' Exorcist, Arcane Nullifier, Jeeves, Kezan Mystic, Bomb Lobber, Madder Bomber (no good neutral rares, hilarious)

Yep, about six depending on how you fudge the niche ones.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
https://twitter.com/KranichHS/status/624840244903325697/photo/1

More garbage.

Starting to wonder if there will even be enough decent cards to require spending money for day 1 competitive deck. I've got 3.2k gold and 1.6k dust ready, and can likely rack up another 1000 gold from arena/quests, plus dust from the arena packs...
That looks like a pretty decent card for anti-aggro priest control. Good candidate for inner fire combo.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Iron Sensei
Iron Sensei is good.

I use it in my rank 20 mech rogue for dailies.

The deck is called "Adam Jensen" to showcase my great wit and cross video game references.
I'm not saying they are bad cards I'm saying they're rarely used outside of niche decks... which is what mech rogue is~ Although I will say something like Bomb Lobber is a card that would see more play if the meta were slower.

Good candidate for inner fire combo.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Anyone who has around 2.5k+ gold saved probably won't need to spend money unless they're desperate to have all of the cards for collection purposes. It's better just to wait and see how things shape up before you go crafting shit, anyway.

Andhaira

Arcane
Suck it lads

3gSTgbt.jpg

:smug:

UglyBastard

Arcane
8 health can OTK at turn 5

Playing it instead of something useful can also lose you the game on turn 4.

- - -

On a related note, I collected some choice predictions from Hearthpwn.com to bring new life to this great discourse:

About Tournament Medic:

I don't know about you but this will replace my Antique healbot in every non-mech deck.

About the upcoming new meta:

i think, but be the way i dont like the new cards at all, they seem so broken with emperor thaurissan.

who needs firball when you can ping for 2 dmg everytime?

Maiden of the Lake could replace Piloted Shredder as turn 4 play and generallly and DA DA DA DA Nexus-Champion Saraad could be the next (in popularity) Dr. Boom, even also a turn 7 play with hero power (6 with maiden, 5 with maiden + coin)

About Ball of Spiders:

It combos really well with Feign Death.

About Frost Giants in Handlock:

If patrion warrior ever goes away this card might replace the weapon removal in handlock decks

Discuss!

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Playing it instead of something useful can also lose you the game on turn 4.
Exactly. Instead of having two gimmick cards that rely on each other to produce anything meaningful why not put in two cards that are strong on their own? How many wacky divine spirit/inner fire priests do you see above rank 15?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I got a crazy idea guys. It's kind of... out there, but bare with me. What if... instead of playing a literal 1/8 on turn 4, in order to combat aggro, we just play a... Sen'jin Shield Masta?! A guy who provides an immediate bulwark of 5 health, while also picking off 1 or 2 small aggro guys?

btw if you actually care about inner fire bullshit, Deathlord is a better choice.

Explorerbc

Arcane
The internet is full of experts these days. The only way to know which cards are good or not is to try them when they come out.

Even pro players have been many times wrong in their predictions in the past. And we haven't even seen the majority of the expansion. So arguing about the cards right now is pointless.

We'll all just wait for the five guys that make decks to figure them out and then netdeck the shit out of them until the ladder is again a boring miserable grind.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Explorerbc there's a big difference between predicting whether a card that can be a huge game changer and create a new archetype like Lock and Load or Grim Patron is good enough versus a 4 mana 1/8 that has the benefit of healing you for 2 health when you use your hero power.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Phage I am not referring to your post specifically but to the general discussion about cards both on this thread and other boards.

We are all familiar with basic concepts like tempo etc. and everyone is repeating the same shit as if they are trying to look like some kind of deckbuilding master.

But besides that, we really can't know. Pro players said that Unstable Portal would be crap, and that Dr. Boom won't be that good. Even Majordormo, that won the title worst card in the game, was eventually put in a grinder Mage deck played on Legend with not bad results.

So whatever, even if Ball of Spiders looks like total crap and we keep stating the obvious that its too slow and without value, some dude maybe indeed combo it with feign death or some other card from the expansion that we haven't even seen yet, and go to legend with it.

Also, I can't understand your sentence. There is a big difference between predicting [...] and what ?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Sorry I goofed when I wrote that, I meant that there's a difference between predicting how good really easy cards like the 1/8 will be, versus predictions involving stuff like Grim Patron and Lock + Load

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom