Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i think lock and load will realistically generate an average of 2 cards. that's good, but shouldn't be too op due to the randomness
also, i'm going to try out the magic thingie
i hope it sucks or i'll get hooked up again

Andhaira

you can torrent the new version of that microprose game, it's called Microprose Magic The Gathering 2010, it's the 1997 game updated to work on like windows 7 and shit

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
i think lock and load will realistically generate an average of 2 cards. that's good, but shouldn't be too op due to the randomness
also, i'm going to try out the magic thingie

Well, the idea is your deck's core will be something like:

2x Hunter's Mark
2x Tracking
2x Mad Scientist
2x Arcane Shot
2x Quick Shot
2x Explosive Trap
2x Freezing Trap
2x Lock and Load
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Unleash the Hounds

Note how all of these proc L+L except for the Mad Scientist

And hopefully (hopefully in terms of the deck existing) some new cheap hunter spell.

You'll likely use some anti-aggro measures like Sledge Belcher as well. You gain the flexibility of using Arcane Shot, Explosive Trap and Quick Shot as anti-aggro. With Tracking it should be easy to find a Lock and Load in time for turn 7/8 when you go off. Part of what makes the card potentially nutty is the possibility of it creating a 0 or 1 mana spell that you can use while still L+L'ing. Imagine a turn 8 like: Lock and Load, Hunter's Mark, Hunter's Mark, Arcane Shot, Tracking, Unleash the Hounds - then from that another 1 mana spell that was created. You'd clear your opponent's board entirely while gaining 6 cards. So long as some of them are decent, you've pretty much won the game on the spot.

On the other hand, the deck could just suck chunks.

It's interesting because this is pretty much the Grim Patron of this set - it's either going to make a new Tier 1 deck, or be a gimmick.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Flame Juggler 2 mana 2/3 Neutral Battlecry: Deal 1 damage to a random enemy.

Seems like a really strong 2 mana play against aggressive decks that run shit like Clockwork/Leper Gnome.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Shrug. Problem is you'd have a 50/50 to hit face. Of course, it still trades down nicely and can go toe to toe with shielded minibot. All in all, not as bad as the reddit/bnet masses are screaming, but probably not really good enough in general.

This fucking set men. This fucking set.

Grubba

Arcane
I'm still gonna plop down 50 clams for the preorder, I don't care how underwhelming the reveals are.

You know you are too.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Actually I really don't know anymore Grubba. If August 9th (the expiration date on my android credit) rolls around and the expac is still in this state, I'll probably just throw the free 15 at some GVG packs. I've got 3.6k gold saved up and will likely accumulate another 1-2k, in addition to roughly 1800 dust ready to go, plus various things like Golden Headcrack that I can DE if I need.

Jozoz

Prophet
Why on earth wouldn't they make it a random enemy minion???

What the hell are they thinking. This could be such a good aggro killer. The bane of Leper Gnome coin Leper Gnome. Goddamn it Blizzard.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Well that is precisely what they're thinking.

None of the aggro decks are considered "Top Five Decks" going off of tournament results, meta snapshots and liquidhearth power rankings - unless you consider hybrid/midrange hunter to be aggro. That's not to say those are infallible sources, just that general consensus among competitive folk is that Aggro is a tier-2 strategy. (well I should say that mech shaman is on slot 5 specifically for the meta snapshot, but that deck has no 1 health minions)

That said, since they're afraid to push out a strong anti-aggro card, we instead get a card that just isn't really good enough outside of Arena.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I now have three Twisting Nethers. I think I've used that card like once.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
L+L needs cheap spells, like the spare parts. But I'm not really sure if it's worth it to build a deck around that.

NEW CARDS
savage-combatant.png
clockwork-knight.png

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Man. those cards are so close to being good, lol. If Savage Combatant was a 4/5, he'd be great. Thing is, 4 mana 4 health guys suck due to the huge number of sources of 4 damage in the game (that's why lost tallstrider and salty dog suck in arena). Clockwork Knight is a bit further away from being good: he simply isn't impactful enough. Compare him to, say, Upgraded Repair Bot.

BTW - you might be onto something WhiteGuts the L+L deck could use the mech shell to provide a stable early game, then refuel with L+L when mech usually stalls out.

Andhaira

Arcane
Savage Combatant is sweet; aside from being good in of itself it will combo well with Claw, Bite and Savagery. Good addition for Druid.It's also a Beast card so let's hope Druids get more Beast synergy in this expansion, aside from Druid of the Fang. This also means it has a chance of being drawn via Hunter's Webspinner, giving the Hunter a +4 hero attack in a round (+2 power +2 this card's Inspire effect). Chance of that happening is very random tho ofcourse.

Now lets hope Paladin cards are at least of this caliber.

edit: Oh and new Brawl Free Classic Pack tonight

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
No Andhaira, Bite and Savagery are still complete garbage. Claw is still too unimpactful for constructed.

I'm not convinced that he fits into any current druid decks. On turn five you want to be playing a five drop or innervating into a 7 drop. Unless something big happens, Piloted Shredder will still be the hallmark 4 drop - and PS trades into this guy while leaving behind a 2 drop. Granted, if Combatant is out first, you can hero power to pop the shredder - but that's practically a 50/50 toss up without early ramp. Even then, you are spending turn 5 clearing a shredder instead of winning the game with on-curve plays. Combatant is still highly vulnerable to: Truesilver Champion, Death's Bite, Crackle, Lucky Implosion, Soulfire, Lava Burst, Eviscerate, Shadow Word Death, plus the usual big removals like Fireball and Hex. (and likely more shit that I forgot/missed) It also trades unfavorably with a couple of 3 drops like Injured Blademaster.

All things being equal, taking the card as it is now, it doesn't fit into any constructed druid archetypes.

In arena, if the card sticks on the board, it's pretty powerful, but it's still susceptible to all of the earlier mentioned removals, and will trade unfavorably with

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Savage combatant would have been better if the +2 attack was a battlecry.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Oh, a new card.

635737076640745686.png

Decent 2-drop, but I don't see it replacing Knife Juggler, Mech Warper or other popular 2 drops.
Would have been much better if it was random enemy *minion*.

Jozoz

Prophet
Clockwork Knight might be okay if we see a slower Mech deck at any point.

5/5 is probably the single strongest statline in the game. It kills most things, it acts a decent clock, you can get it on turn 5 and it doesn't get BGH'd.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think the whole mech fad is done with the exception of a few holdout mech mages. That said, I'm glad they focused more on mechanics and not 'tribes' since mech and dragon never caught on. Although they're still trying to make pirate and murloc a thing.

hivemind

Pirate warrior was the first deck I made.

I dusted pretty much all of the cards I got from the start up packs and a few early days of playing for some of the pirate cards thinking that it's going to be awesome.

:negative:

Jozoz

Prophet
Mech Shaman is a pretty good tournament deck since it wins against Patron Warrior and has a 50% matchup against most other competitive decks. Sucks on ladder though because it's so inconsistent.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Apparently some people got the Nefarian vs Rag brawl while some others got the Unstable portals brawl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom