Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Honestly, I want to see how viable a deck built around the Inspire mechanic is before making final judgments.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Anything's possible but like the whole dragon thing you probably need so many of these interdependent cards that you end up gutting your deck. About a third of the cards have been released now and I've only seen ten or so that I'd be disappointed if I didn't pull from packs.

Obviously Blizzard is still making money hand over fist with this game. But that's mostly because it's extremely cheap to produce plus marketing hype. Creatively/strategically speaking it's very stagnant.

Last edited:

Andhaira

Arcane
Warlocks who use Ancient watcher X2 + Defender of Argus could make use of this. Because unlike AW they can make this attack (without using owl) and not just be meaty & cheap taunts.

Ofcourse if you have to use Ancient Watcher as a measure for a card...

Jozoz

Prophet
Ancient Watcher is simply way better. It's better with taunt, it's better with owl and it's way way way way better with Shadowflame.

I feel like this card doesn't hold a place anywhere. It's a low drop, which usually can stop aggro decks tempo pretty well, but it's way too slow for that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not even a good arena pick considering it's rare and you'll probably have better options.

Grinolf

Arcane
As a standalone card it has two big problems:
1. It is 2,5 mana worth of stats for 2 mana. Hero ability has an effect of 1 mana for 2 mana. So even activating it once isn't worth it as you lose 0,5 mana as result. And unlike majority of other inspire cards it would get worse and worse with each activation.
2. Activating it on the next turn should be hard, as you need one mana drop and an effective way to use your hero power.
So the only way I see this card is going to be used is by dropping it in early game with the intention to activate it in the mid game together with the other inspire card, while expecting enemy to ignore it and not ending up dead in the process.
Still, as thing are now, it should've being 3-4 that get's silenced with the inspire or the same stats, but the inspire are also would buff it +1/+1. And even then I wouldn't be that sure about playing it in constructed.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
They're all extremely comparable in how gud they are - what class are you playing?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Alex would let you auto bring them down to 15 and for fireball faggotry. Sneed's is just always oppressive to face in arena. Emperor is strong, but if you curve out well you're only going to discount a couple of cards. Go with Alex or Sneed's imo

They're all like equally good in arena as a first pick tbh

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Do you really think that drafting for combos in arena is a good idea?

Alexstraza herself deals 8, and she can heal you up to 15 in shitty situations, which can win the game. On that note, she provides more immediate impact than Emp T and Sneed's, as neither of them can flat out prevent a death. She's a top-tier card for every deck, but mage gets extra synergy due to their burn damage.

Like I said, all 3 are 'correct' as a first pick. It's just personal preference.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thaurissan's value beyond Turn 6 is really not that great. I'll go with Sneed's.

Andhaira

Arcane
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thaurissan's value beyond Turn 6 is really not that great. I'll go with Sneed's.

You should have picked Alex. Focus on removal for most of the game then draw her and immediately deal the equivalent of around 15 damage to opponent, then finish him up with spell and minion barrage. (charge minions are gud 2 use)

hivemind

I just got muster + quartermastered after the guy had already played one quartermaster.

Jozoz

Prophet
I really do not like Alextrasza in arena. She looks much flashier than what she actually does imo.

Often times in arena the 15 health will be awkward and you're gonna have to heal your opponent or deal very miniscule damage to them. That's not the big problem though.

The big problem is how you can't capitalize on the face damage very often unless you're already winning massively. You're not Control Warrior or Freeze Mage, which means the Alex battlecry rarely does anything meaningful for pushing lethal damage. The heal can be alright but it's very specific, which is why healbot is not a very good card either.

Thing is that 8/8 for 9 mana isn't great at all. In my opinion she is far far below Sneed's unless your deck somehow has synergy with the battlecry - for example lots of burn.

I've had Alex multiple times in Arena and I've been let down every single time.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Shrug. General tier list consensus puts all three of them about equal. I don't believe in blindly following tier lists, especially not when you have already picks in your draft, but it's pretty easy to see the merits of all 3 cards here. Fact of the matter is she will single handedly win the game after 3 turns unless answered (set enemy to 15, hit them twice), and it will usually take 2 cards to answer her after she's already done face damage or healed you. Antique Healbot is a poor comparison because that's a 3/3 body, while Alex's 8/8 will require either hard removal or two minions trading into her (unless they also have a legendary, a giant or buffed minions).

The real power draws from her flexibility to either damage or heal. Anytime you get two extremely powerful choices on a card, the card becomes much better. Meanwhile Sneed's has no immediate impact, a fairly weak body for 8 mana, and has a chance of dropping a Thalnos/Cho/Pagle/Overspark/etc (and he has to actually die before you get the goody out of him). Plus, if the opponent Polymorphs or Hexes, he did nothing while Alex healed/damaged. Note: I'm not saying Sneed's is bad by any means. A resolved Sneed's that doesn't get silenced will usually win the game unless you're incredibly far behind. I'm just saying that stating Alex is "far far below Sneed's" is pretty foolish tbh.

I will admit that Sneed's requires less decision making in general, which in a sense makes it more idiot proof. You can't really misplay Sneed's in arena unless you're positive the opponent has a hex/poly in hand (or something equally silly like they have lethal and you could've played a taunt) - it's much easier to use Alex very incorrectly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom