Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'd imagine you can get to at least rank 10 just by grinding. Daniel Negreanu didn't even understand many cards in the game and he got to like rank 8 just by playing the same deck over and over for hours. IIRC, you can theoretically have a losing record and still get to at least 5 before the win streaks are turned off.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
However long the bonus stars from streaks last. At that point you need a good w/l ratio or you run into a wall. Still... it'll probably take several hours. Keep in mind the difference in rewards between rank 15 and rank 10 is an extra golden common card: 40 dust. Do you want to spend the time just for a pack's worth of dust?

Anyway, if you want to get there as fast as possible, play Eboladin. It's a cheap deck that has no epics and only Muster for Battle, Arcane Golem, and one Defender of Argus as its only rares.

hivemind

eh I spend hours on this game monthly so grinding is really not for me, maybe I'll try off and on for rank 15 or something and see how it goes

also the deck just beat patron but it was a rank 18 guy who just played it terribly

hivemind

I own neither naxx nor the molten core or whatever expansion so I probably lack many of the really strong zoo cards.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Rank 20 - 1 golden common card, 5 dust

Rank 19 - 1 golden common card, 10 dust

Rank 18 - 1 golden common card, 15 dust

Rank 17 - 1 golden common card, 20 dust

Rank 16 - 1 golden common card, 25 dust

Rank 15 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 5 dust

Rank 14 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 10 dust

Rank 13 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 15 dust

Rank 12 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 20 dust

Rank 11 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 25 dust

Rank 10 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 5 dust

Rank 9 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 10 dust

Rank 8 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 15 dust

Rank 7 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 20 dust

Rank 6 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 25 dust

Rank 5 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden epic card, 5 dust

Rank 4 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden epic card, 10 dust

Rank 3 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden epic card, 15 dust

Rank 2 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden epic card, 20 dust

Rank 1 - 2 golden common card, 1 golden epic card, 25 dust

Legend - 3 golden common card, 1 golden epic card 0 dust

The only noticeable jumps are at rank 15 and 5. At 10 you pickup an extra 20ish dust from 11. Everywhere else you're grinding 5 dust per rank.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
With that in mind, I'd get to rank 15 then play Brawl. You still get the 10g per win and it's a lot more fun than facing the current shit meta for the extra 5 dust... if you manage to climb very far.

hivemind

actually the rewards are really shit and not worth climbing there since it means dailies for arena gold would be harder to make when I log in after like two or three weeks

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Rank 15 is easy enough to get with any type of deck, though. A golden rare is 100 dust so it's an 80 dust boost from Rank 16 for a relatively small time investment. I usually get past it doing dailies. You also can't 'regress' once you unlock a tier of reward chest even if you subsequently lose rank.

Edited to add: I'll level with you. Not owning Naxx puts you behind the 8-ball. Unless you get supremely good at Arena you'll probably never 'catch up' without investing money.

Andhaira

Arcane
lel, Rank 15 is super easy to get buy just by doing dailies. You should also use Ranked play to do your quests; it exposes you to different deck types and you learn how card interactions work. You also grind your golden hero.

I can never understand why people only play arena, to me the greatest joy of the game comes from making your own decks.

By the by, the top 100 player list for July was recently released, with player SilentStorm coming in at 51. That means he is 51 in Legend when the July season ended. I came across him twice in the prior months on ranked and defeated him. We met again in a casual game and he conceded immediately after mulligan. :smug:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
ONE EXTRA GOLDEN COMMON FOR HITTING LEGENDARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON BOYZ, NO MORE EXCUSES!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You know there can be multiple people with the same username. I doubt you faced him wallowing around at Rank 15.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Andhaira I have played against the username "SilentStorm" literally 20 times by now. It's just a popular name (anyone can use any name. there are hundreds of reynads/trumps). You have to see if the individual is streaming to verify it's them.

hivemind

I can never understand why people only play arena, to me the greatest joy of the game comes from making your own decks.
But you do make your own decks in arena.

I think the the RNG is actually more equalizing over the long term that the money/grind necessary to have the good cards available in constructed. I mean yeah you can get fucked over by the RNG or win just because of the RNG but it's the same RNG that everyone else faces and between the two insta-loss and insta-win scenario there is a large wiggling space that your own skill can heavily influence.

I don't get people who use arena drafting websites tho.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Arena is more fun because you're not playing the same old shit and not facing the same old shit. Once you get past rank 15 or so in constructed 90% of the time you're facing Ebola, FaceHugger, ZooTard, Patron, or Mech Mage. When you hit Rank 5 there's more variety but to get there you have to wade through a sea of shit.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
arena is just mages running 2-3 flamestrikes

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

When you're starting out, they can be useful. Even after you learn how to play, it can be useful to look at, for example, the HearthArena tier list and compare it to how you value cards. Ultimately, the decks I created myself almost always end up better than following the heartharena picker, but it's good to compare notes with people as good as adwctwa.

Jozoz

Prophet
I beat Lothar once on ladder. Also beat Guardsman Bob in Arena one time.

hivemind

When you're starting out, they can be useful. Even after you learn how to play, it can be useful to look at, for example, the HearthArena tier list and compare it to how you value cards. Ultimately, the decks I created myself almost always end up better than following the heartharena picker, but it's good to compare notes with people as good as adwctwa.
Well I understand this, I have done it like once or twice too but I bet there are thousands of people who just brainlessly copy and paste the decks without giving it much thought. You can see it from the way people play sometimes.

When I was starting out I actually didn't even play the game much just spent a few weeks watching Kripp's videos while having lunch/dinner and getting my basics from there. Probably the most casual way I have gotten into a game ever.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I own neither naxx nor the molten core or whatever expansion so I probably lack many of the really strong zoo cards.

Oh well, I'd get the first naxx wing at least, then. Haunted Creeper and the egg alone will bump you up in ranks.

What's not to get? You learn this way.

Andhaira

Arcane
Andhaira I have played against the username "SilentStorm" literally 20 times by now. It's just a popular name (anyone can use any name. there are hundreds of reynads/trumps). You have to see if the individual is streaming to verify it's them.
You know there can be multiple people with the same username. I doubt you faced him wallowing around at Rank 15.

I'm pretty sure it was the real deal, at least twice. The way he played, and the fact he has been confirmed to try out different decks in casual all the time. Poor guy, he had no idea he was going up against the master of unique decks (do you know anyone else who uses Rend?)

Metro I can get much higher than rank 15 quite regularly. Have to say though constructed this month has been harder than usual, I think it's because ranked rewards were announced so people are no longer grinding rank 20 for gold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom