Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Varian is not good, MEN.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
To be serious about this for a sec, posting someone's list and saying "He got to rank 6 Legend with it, so it's good" is reductive to the point of being stupid, and Phage, as someone who actually put in the effort to reach Legend himself, should really know better. For one, I can almost guarantee that he didn't play that exact list from Rank 16 to top Legend - the meta changes as you move up the ranks, and it also tends to change with time in various ways. And so, the deck you play must change as well. Would be surprised if the guy actually climbed through the deluge of aggro that lower ranks typically are with Gorehowl + 4 other weapons, for instance.

Secondly, I honestly doubt the average performance of this deck changes that much depending on which big finishers it runs exactly. The dude would've likely gotten his result if he replaced Nefarian with Varian or Rag or Alex or whatever. The Baron Geddon inclusion is likely a lot more important, as it's a pretty specific tech card.

Point being, Revenant, playing Varian in your CW isn't going to stop you from reaching whatever rank you want, in my opinion.

@Deathwing Hunter, it was not much time after GvG release, so it's probably useless trivia at this point, but I think the guy was ahead of his time, as his list was pretty similar to modern midrange Hunter, while at the time everyone and their mother abused Undertaker for cheap wins. That, and I guess nobody expected Deathwing. I lost to him solely because I didn't expect Deathwing.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
You missed the point of our argument. I was saying that Varian isn't used often because he's sub-optimal. Revenent got buttblasted for some reason. I explicitly said that Varian can reach legend, it's just a sub-optimal choice. (I even explained that Trump might hit legend with a priest deck using Stranglethorn Tigers lol)

That decklist was played as-is from regular Rank 5 to legend Rank 6. I respect you as a generally measured and intelligent individual, but you're behind the times pretty hardcore; Gorehowl became very good due to Justicar Trueheart providing such an ass-raping amount of armor. The deck has plenty of stopgaps against aggro. Not sure why you'd think that Fiery Waraxe and Death's Bite would prevent that deck from beating aggro when they are some of the best tools against those decks.

Also your deathwing hunter example doesn't discredit anything I've listed, if that was the intention.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Another TGT legendary! Dreadscale. I've now pulled every Hunter legendary. I guess it's a sign.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You missed the point of our argument. I was saying that Varian isn't used often because he's sub-optimal. Revenent got buttblasted for some reason. I explicitly said that Varian can reach legend, it's just a sub-optimal choice. (I even explained that Trump might hit legend with a priest deck using Stranglethorn Tigers lol)

That decklist was played as-is from regular Rank 5 to legend Rank 6. I respect you as a generally measured and intelligent individual, but you're behind the times pretty hardcore; Gorehowl became very good due to Justicar Trueheart providing such an ass-raping amount of armor. The deck has plenty of stopgaps against aggro. Not sure why you'd think that Fiery Waraxe and Death's Bite would prevent that deck from beating aggro when they are some of the best tools against those decks.

Also your deathwing hunter example doesn't discredit anything I've listed, if that was the intention.

Oh come on, all this "behind the times" crap is getting pretty tiresome. Gorehowl isn't some new special tech card, it was always good against slower midrange and control decks. Yes, it is better now, that Warrior in general has more ways to gain armor, but it's still shit against aggro, and Justicar doesn't change that at all - if you have time to spend 6 mana on a 6/3, then 7 mana on a weapon, and not die in the process, then the game was won anyway. Furthermore, Gorehowl is clunky, which was the point of my comment about playing four more weapons alongside it - you will often get stuck with useless weapons in hand, as Gorehowl takes so many turns to utilize properly. It also has the unfortunate property of letting your opponent autowin the game with Harrison.

Anyway, if the guy used this deck without any changes all the way from Rank 5 (honestly kinda hard to believe, but whatever), then it more or less proves to me that the meta is not very aggressive at all, if you can play so many long-term value oriented cards and still succeed.

Deathwing Hunter was meant to demonstrate that the "This deck succeeded by playing Nefarian, therefore Nefarian is optimal." argument is shit. I think it did that rather well.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Ok, well Varian is still 2slow and not good enough for the current metagame, old man :cool:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Cowboy hanging on to that time he made legend back in vanilla... Let it go, MEN.

hivemind

I just lost every RNG 2 games in a row.

Guess this is the universe telling me to not play HS in the morning

hivemind

well 3 games in a row but I won the last one through insane skill despite the terrible RNG

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
AreYouThereGod.jpg

Anyway, hivemind's blog posts aside I narrowed down the remaining 'worthwhile' legendaries I need that would be useful from Classic and GvG:

Class:

Tiron - In every Paladin deck but Eboladin. Will probably be in every Paladin deck save extreme aggro FO'EVAH.
Antonidas - Seems to be in every Mage deck... including Mech Mage now. Can't see it ever falling out of use.
Al'Akir - In maybe a little over half the Shaman decks I see. It's a solid card but not in the Tirion/Antonidas tier as far as effects, imo.
Cenarius - Good but I'm missing the key Druid epics so it's pointless.
Neptulon - A good value card but I haven't seen it used in many decks for a while now.
Vol'jin - Seems to be in most Priest decks but mostly a glorified removal. I'd probably prefer Paletress for RNG wackiness.
Jaraxxus - Don't really see it much anymore.
Mal'ganis - Has apparently taken Jaraxxus' place even though they do different things.

Neutral:

Thalnos - A good card but only used in Freeze Mage (which I don't like), some Rogue decks, and some Druid decks.

Legendaries that would be cool to have for gimmick decks but ones I'd probably never craft: Deathwing, Hogger, Cairne, Leeroy, Tinkmaster, Mukla, Van Cleef, Gallywix, and maybe Toshley.

Last edited:

hivemind

1 in 5 discard loatheb and totemic might from opponent's spellslinger when I'm a lock

1 out 3 loss with the give your minions windfury/divine shield/taunt mech

dust instead of gold as reward

bolster in pack

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I wouldn't play Arena unless you're missing a significant amount of Classic and GvG cards. Or you can consistently win 7+ games.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Or you can consistently win 7+ games.

Well tbh you just need to average ~6.5 wins overall (so if you get a 1 win and a 12 win after, you're still set)

That said, I'm having a lot of difficulty getting those big streaks in TGT arena (there is a 50% bias towards giving you TGT cards in the draft right now), though I've barely played at all the past couple of weeks as plebtro can attest to.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah, wtf, still got a spectate quest. Stop playing that shitty Weeb Vietnam game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Classic legendary from spectate pack -- Al'Akir! Can cross that off my list.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Good ol' Hearthpwn. I love it when people copy standard decks and make maybe one minor change and name it after themselves. There's some dude who calls his deck 'Bostadin' when it's simply Eboladin.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Got Mage on UncleSam to level 20, played this week's brawl on there. Some euro Shaman reincarnated my Tirion - I proceed to see an immense amount of fidgeting (tons of things highlighting on his side) followed by a concede :lol: god speed euros, god speed :salute:

hivemind

Most successful hearthstone streamer = European(Forsen)
Most successful hearthstone youtuber = European/Canadian(Kripp)
Most skilled hearthstone pro player = European(Kolento)

Most autistic hearthstone streamer = American(Reynad)

The facts speak for themselves.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Got Mage on UncleSam to level 20, played this week's brawl on there. Some euro Shaman reincarnated my Tirion - I proceed to see an immense amount of fidgeting (tons of things highlighting on his side) followed by a concede :lol: god speed euros, god speed :salute:

Almost as bad as a huntard silencing my Darnassus Aspirant on NA. At rank 10. Brawl is even worse.
NA is hilariously bad.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Almost as bad as a huntard silencing my Darnassus Aspirant on NA. At rank 10. Brawl is even worse.
NA is hilariously bad.

Considering you've been too scared to add me to friends, I'm going to conclude you don't have an NA account at all, let alone one capable of reaching rank 10 :cool::cool::cool:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
NA is hilariously bad.

Also, reincarnating a Tirion is unfathomably worse than silencing a DA with an owl. Especially if there was nothing else on the board and he only had the owl to play. He should've just hero powered, sure, but at least he put something onto the board and the advantage given was much smaller than reincarnating a Tirion. (plus the aforementioned fact that you likely do not have a rank 10 NA account at all)

Leave it to a Euro to think that a free divine shield, health refresh, and a 5/3 weapon is less valuable than 1 mana crystal :lol: :salute:

Fucking love Euros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom