Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

hivemind

North Sea Kraken is top tier arena card
I once discarded it with soulfire
but I had two more in my deck and won the game
lmao

UglyBastard

Arcane
The deck is very good.

You have strong earlygame minions, the spells you need as to get the Tempo going and the potential to curve into a reasonable mid- and lategame. Deck has basically everything you want as Rogue.

Alll cards Andhaira mentioned (except Corrupter) are pretty decent or even good.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yo guise, my first Gazebo post, shiiit.

Alright, came for some advice. I started playing just last week, got hooked immediately. I'm trying to climb the rank ladder with just gold purchases but after a few successes (currently 2-star Shieldbearer) I quickly got stuck in the rut.

Did some research for my Alex Freeze Mage but all of the guides use cards I don't have yet so I wonder if it's even possible to climb further in some reasonable timeframe without dumping hard cash on some 10 or so packs.

I'm running: Ice Lance, Mirror Image, Frostbolt, Swamp Ooze, Arcane Intellect, Ironfur Grizzly, Silverback Patriarch, Fireball, Polymorph, Water Elemental, Booty Bay Bodyguard, Blizzard, Archmage, Lord of the Arena, Flamestrike, Alex - all with 2 copies except Ice Lance and Alex.

I've looked at recent Trump's Freeze Mage deck but he's running Thalnos, Doomsayer, Mad Scientist, Ice Barrier, Ice Block, Acolyte of Pain, Thaurissan, Antonidas and Pyroblast, all of which I don't have.

Any suggestions for improvement?

Thx.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can't run Freeze Mage with basic cards. It's too specific a deck. I would search through Hearthpwn or Hearthstone Top Deck for decks limited to the basic set. As far as climbing the ladder... well... there's no real point short of the ranking itself and the chests you get but I'd be surprised if you could get to rank 10 this late with only basic cards. I'd watch some of Trump's videos on Arena and check out ADACATWTATADAA (or whatever his name is) Arena tier list. You only need to win about three games to effectively justify the 150 gold cost versus 100 gold for a pack. Plus you get to play around with cards you don't have a get a feel for them.

Either that or spend $200 on adventures and card packs.

Basic decks:

http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/deck-category/style/basic/

Grinolf

Arcane
Any suggestions for improvement?
Thx.

I would rather switch to minion based mage. That deck was very good when I didn't have a decent collection. Just keep Frostbolts, Fireballs, Polymorphs, Flamestrikes and fill the rest with good stand alone minions.
Also remove Silverback Patriarch, Booty Bay Bodyguard, and Lord of the Arena and never remeber about them unless arena would force you to pick one of them. There are much better cards even in the basic set. Grizzly and Archmage are also subpar cards and better be removed, but unlike other they are not that bad by arena standards. Still you should have a superior options. Water Elemental is very good. Alex may be worth keeping just for the case of Fireball-Fireball-Frostbolt combo, but I'm not sure, as you should need to them for board control and without it, this is just 8-8 for 9 mana and Kraken would be better.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can't run Freeze Mage with basic cards. It's too specific a deck.

Well I got Alex in my second pack and since Mage is all you can play with gold purchases for some time Freeze Mage seemed like a natural way to go.

As far as climbing the ladder... well... there's no real point short of the ranking itself and the chests you get but I'd be surprised if you could get to rank 10 this late with only basic cards.

The point is to play the game :D What else there is for me? Arena seems risky, I need all my gold to build my packs. When I tried Arena with my beginner free entry I got crushed (1 win, 2 losses) by an insane rushing Hunter and a control freak Warrior. Solo achievements are completed, the adventures are expensive and there's no gold in Casual. At least in Ranked you get some dust.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Also drop 20 bucks on Naxx if you really want to play this game, will help immensely.

Freeze Mage needs a lot of mandatory cards you don't have, starting with the secrets and Mad Scientists to Archmage Antonidas and Doomsayer.
Stay away from it until you have those, they are key to the deck's success.

Grinolf is right, a pretty basic Control Mage can get you certainly into the single digit ranks with some persistence, as long as you play it good as well.
Judging from the fact that you put 2x Silverback Patriarch in your deck, you have still much to learn. But even with not many cards, there is plenty of room to rank up for you, if you are being smart about it.
With the help of Naxx cards you should easily be able to clear rank 10 (maybe not this season anymore, but next for sure).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would rather switch to minion based mage. That deck was very good when I didn't have a decent collection. Just keep Frostbolts, Fireballs, Polymorphs, Flamestrikes and fill the rest with good stand alone minions.
Also remove Silverback Patriarch, Booty Bay Bodyguard, and Lord of the Arena and never remeber about them unless arena would force you to pick one of them.

Ok, I'll try this. I was running the Patriarch, Bodyguard and Lord just for their taunt which I found necessary to stall before my face get destroyed. Any suggestions for better basic cards?

Also drop 20 bucks on Naxx if you really want to play this game, will help immensely.

Yeah I know, it's just I've spent 200 bucks on games in the last two months so I wanted to give myself a break, at least until pre-Christmas. But eventually I'll get both adventures for sure, the game is awesome.

Grinolf

Arcane
Ok, I'll try this. I was running the Patriarch, Bodyguard and Lord just for their taunt which I found necessary to stall before my face get destroyed. Any suggestions for better basic cards?

Shieldmasta is a very good card. I don't remember any other good basic taunts. There is belcher in Naxx. Sunfury and Argus are rare cards that could give your othert good minions, like Ogre, a taunt, so you may want one of them.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Here's an example of a basic mage deck:

hz4n2DT.jpg

You can replace something for Alex (you probably should, just didn't think about it while building). Maybe Arcane Missiles, not a big fan of those.

Here is a deck that you can build after just purchasing Naxx:

NY1L6s0.jpg

That one should take you to rank 10 easily.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well I got Alex in my second pack and since Mage is all you can play with gold purchases for some time Freeze Mage seemed like a natural way to go.
Without all of the cards you mentioned in Trump's deck... you aren't running Freeze Mage. Alex is one card out of thirty.

The point is to play the game :D What else there is for me? Arena seems risky, I need all my gold to build my packs. When I tried Arena with my beginner free entry I got crushed (1 win, 2 losses) by an insane rushing Hunter and a control freak Warrior. Solo achievements are completed, the adventures are expensive and there's no gold in Casual. At least in Ranked you get some dust.
You can do quests and get 10 gold per 3 wins in Casual. Ranked only has the added benefits of those chests. But rank 10 is probably as high as you can expect to go and even then it's a stretch. Unless you're on ez-mode Euro server. If so you can get to Legend!

Also when Tavern Brawls starts again on Wednesday you can get a free Classic pack for winning a game. Brawl is sometimes a good place to do daily quests when you lack cards depending on what it is...

hivemind

when I was starting out I just watched Kripp to get a feel for the game and started to mainly play arena

autismstructed is a pretty terrible game mode for retards

even if you just do your dailies + a semi successful arena runs you can keep the train going pretty well

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bottom line is without spending cash you're going to be behind the 8 ball unless:

1) You end up to be insanely good at arena and average 8+ wins.

- or -

2) You're content playing one or two classes and disenchant any other cards not of those classes for the dust and craft the ones you want.

Otherwise it's not really possible to catch up at the rate they produce new content. Within another three or so months there will probably be another $30/3500 gold Adventure mode.

hivemind

The good thing about being an arena player is that all you have to care about is breaking even to go for another run and you don't give a fuck if your collection is hundreds of dollars behind the other players because you aren't using it anyhow.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Here's an example of a basic mage deck:

hz4n2DT.jpg

You can replace something for Alex (you probably should, just didn't think about it while building). Maybe Arcane Missiles, not a big fan of those.

Cheers! And yeah, I'll get rid of the missiles, I find they're bad in most cases.

The good thing about being an arena player is that all you have to care about is breaking even to go for another run and you don't give a fuck if your collection is hundreds of dollars behind the other players because you aren't using it anyhow.

Yeah but I need to learn the cards a lot more before going into Arena. I've been playing the Mage for a week and I barely know her.

Mystary!

Arcane
There's really no reason to play all classes anyway. Focus on a couple and get good with those. I got to rank 6 last season, having played for only 3 weeks, just grinding Warlock. I dusted almost everything I didn't need and built like 3 solid decks.

The deck is very good.

You have strong earlygame minions, the spells you need as to get the Tempo going and the potential to curve into a reasonable mid- and lategame. Deck has basically everything you want as Rogue.

Alll cards Andhaira mentioned (except Corrupter) are pretty decent or even good.
Also lowly squire and brewmaster ((

That said Baron Geddon was insane, won one game exclusively because of him and two others probably only because of him. With some minions on board it's easy to set him up to fully clear, and after that the opponent has to kill him or face 7+2 damage to face in addition to the first two.

Grinolf

Arcane
Honestly I would rather have second Ogre there over KT. It looks more like "win more" card than a win condition one in this deck. Also two Oozes are probably to much. I would rather switch at least one with Amani. They are just commons, if I'm remembering correctly, and should be cheap to get.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Honestly I would rather have second Ogre there over KT. It looks more like "win more" card than a win condition one in this deck. Also two Oozes are probably to much. I would rather switch at least one with Amani. They are just commons, if I'm remembering correctly, and should be cheap to get.

Sure there is plenty to improve, I just went with basic + Naxx (and 2 common secrets to exploit the Scientist) quickly thrown together on the fly. 2 Oozes is certainly too much if you wanna tryhard, but it is still the best basic 2drop by far. I agree that replacing one with Berserker (or something even better) down the line should be the goal.
Kel'Thuzad is not "win more", its "seal the deal". You don't have many strong win conditions as a basic player and he is easy to get and impactful. Admittedly, there could be more synergies, but that is something to build upon as you get more cards.

Playing this Mage on my f2p NA account and it is easily good enough for rank 5:
rsV3HXK.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Kel'Thuzad is not "win more", its "seal the deal". You don't have many strong win conditions as a basic player and he is easy to get and impactful.

How easy exactly? I've watched a few Naxx games and I honestly doubt I can deal with all the bosses with my basic bitch pack yet. Another reason why I hesitate to drop 22 euro on this adventure yet.

GrainWetski

Arcane
How easy exactly? I've watched a few Naxx games and I honestly doubt I can deal with all the bosses with my basic bitch pack yet. Another reason why I hesitate to drop 22 euro on this adventure yet.
The normal adventures are ridiculously easy.

UglyBastard

Arcane

You can easily clear Naxxramas on normal mode, it's made so everyone can get the cards out of it. It's also quite fun (at least for me, some don't like the PvM). So don't worry about not getting the cards.

The heroic mode (which can be hard at times) only awards a cardback, so it is by no means necessary and something you can return to later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom