Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Grinolf

Arcane
Kel'Thuzad is not "win more", its "seal the deal". You don't have many strong win conditions as a basic player and he is easy to get and impactful. Admittedly, there could be more synergies, but that is something to build upon as you get more cards.

I found KT very hard to use, as it requires you to have a board and ideally make the trades on turn he is played. And win condition for this sort of deck is already board control and finishing opponent with your minions + burst from spells. So I would rather have a minion that help fighting for the board on turn 6 than one expecting you have the board on turn 8. Especially without 7 drop to curve him.

Regarding your deck. How abouth switching one Duplicate with one Effigy? 2 Duplicates also sometimes feel too many.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Have not tried Effigy yet, not sure if I have it on NA. It could be good.

Maybe switch a Duplicate for a second Ogre in the Naxx deck, it has not that many super value minions. I just really like Kel'Thuzad. :) Healbot or Ice Barrier are also viable cheap options for tweaking.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Naxx is really the minimum requirement for "cheap" competitive constructed decks. Naxx lets you play both Zoo and Face Hunter, which can carry you to Legend easily if you play well enough, and despite the whining about mindless aggro you may witness from HS players, these decks are not at all easy to play well. Trying to build control decks on the cheap because you got Alexstrasza in a pack will only end in horrible failure.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So up until now game told me to buy classic packs for new players so I obeyed. Now after I bought the 10th one the recommendation disappeared.

So how does it work, do I keep buying classics? Or switch it up with TGT and GnG now and then? Does it even matter?

UglyBastard

Arcane
Classic is best until you have a solid collection. You can get the other packs out of Arena. One GvG here and there won't hurt.

TGT is mostly shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Since packs are random there's really no set number that's recommended. There are, however, far more useful Classic cards than GvG and TGT cards. If you wanted to be able to play most competitive decks thoroughly you're probably looking at around 50+ Classic packs, 30ish GvG packs, and 20ish TGT packs. For now, keep buying Classic packs. Maybe buy one or two GvG packs if you want.

A quick skim of Classic shows the following cards regularly used in most decks (numbers don't count doubles):

- 30ish common
- 30ish rare
- 20ish epic

There are also far more useful Classic legendaries than there are GvG and TGT legendaries.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Since packs are random there's really no set number that's recommended. There are, however, far more useful Classic cards than GvG and TGT cards. If you wanted to be able to play most competitive decks thoroughly you're probably looking at around 50+ Classic packs, 30ish GvG packs, and 20ish TGT packs. For now, keep buying Classic packs. Maybe buy one or two GvG packs if you want.

Ok that's good to know, classic it is then.

Grinolf

Arcane
So up until now game told me to buy classic packs for new players so I obeyed. Now after I bought the 10th one the recommendation disappeared.

So how does it work, do I keep buying classics? Or switch it up with TGT and GnG now and then? Does it even matter?

GvG makes sense to buy only if you aim for few specific decks like mech mage or any priest ones.
TGT should be only good for Shamans at the start. Paladins need cards from every set to work and dragon decks are pretty expensive.
In other cases you could just stick to classic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
GvG numbers:

- 15ish common (goes down to 6 or less if you exclude Mech decks)
- 5ish rares
- 5ish epics.

It's about the same for TGT. Putting niche decks aside you're better off crafting the few from TGT/GvG you need from the extra Classic dust.

Re: Naxx. It's probably best to buy it for cash. They might discount the price when they roll out the third adventure in a few months but... they might not. Naxx has around 15 or so commonly used cards in it unlike the second adventure BRM which has maybe... three at most. Eventually the first wing of BRM is worth getting for 700 gold or $6 or whatever. After that you have to decide if it's worth the rest to get Imp Gang Boss and Flamewaker. You can get away with replacing Imp Gang Boss with the common Classic card, Harvest Golem. It's not as good but assuming you won't have Mal'Ganis the differences aren't that big.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, another reason to stick to Classic is I wanna to build up and play all of the classes, not focus just on one or two. I like the idea of face hunter and I love some of rogue's cards but I'm not seeing any rogues on the ladder so I'm guessing it's crap for now. Same for paladin. Shame. Warrior and warlock seem safe but also boring. Tried some basic Priest and Shaman but it's just impossible (or I suck horribly, most likely). Mage is clearly the easiest for noobs.

Btw UglyBastard I've been running with the minion wizard and it's A LOT smoother. I had to keep the Arcane Missile after all and got a low level taunt since I found I couldn't deal with the early pushes until I stabilized. Anyway thanks for the tips.

Grinolf

Arcane
I'm not seeing any rogues on the ladder so I'm guessing it's crap for now. Same for paladin.

The only explanation about not seeing any paladins right now, that I could think of, is that they all ranked up by playing it. As it sort of dominant class right now. I played ladder last around a week ago and from rank 6 to legend players I faced 40% were paladins. Maybe now it slightly less, but doubt by much.

Both Priest and Shaman are considered as good starting point. Trump had FTP series for shaman, and whle it was more than year old, most basics are the same. And looks like he started a priest one recently.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lower ranks you're going to see a mix of stuff. Past 15 or so I'm sure it will be majority Paladin. Re: beginner classes. Priest is also somewhat decent if with multiple removals and one mind control. Hard to deal with aggro decks, though.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Just L2P patron warrior. Farms all these scrub paladins easily. Granted it's the most advanced deck in the game, but...

Buy a mixed bag of packs until you have 80-90% of all the commons in the game. Then classic.

The reason for this is that you're gonna get all the commons relatively quickly, so if you only buy classic after that you're quickly gonna get duplicates... Duplicates can be disenchanted for only a small fraction of what they cost to craft, so it's much better to get new fresh cards than duplicates, even if the cards themselves are on average lower value.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ Crappy Euro advice. I'd buy at least 30-40 Classic packs first. The only GvG commons worth pulling are Piloted Shredder, Dark Bomb, Shielded Mini-bot, and one or two others. The rest is mech deck fodder.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Could play Oil Rogue, it's relatively cheap as well, and can be built without any Naxx cards. Thalnos is a pretty important card for the deck though. It's also relatively difficult to play, especially if you're new to card games in general.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It all depends what cards you get in your first 15-20 packs or so. After he's opened a few he can say what rares/epics he got. Vanilla Zoo Warlock is still reasonably effect. Even better if he buys Naxx. You can also make a decent enough tempo mage without Flamewaker.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It all depends what cards you get in your first 15-20 packs or so. After he's opened a few he can say what rares/epics he got. Vanilla Zoo Warlock is still reasonably effect. Even better if he buys Naxx. You can also make a decent enough tempo mage without Flamewaker.

Not great luck on rares so far. Should I keep Alarm-o-Bot, Imp Master, Starfall, Holy Wrath, Injured Blademaster, Argent Watchman, Doomguard and Mogor's Champion or turn it to dust??

Got one epic (Doomhamer, for keeps?) and one legend (Alex).

Grinolf

Arcane
Not great luck on rares so far. Should I keep Alarm-o-Bot, Imp Master, Starfall, Holy Wrath, Injured Blademaster, Argent Watchman, Doomguard and Mogor's Champion or turn it to dust??

Definitely keep Blademaster and Doomguard. It's one of the strongest cards for Priests and Warlocks respectively.
I'm not huge fan of Doomhammer. But it's used in aggro shaman's decks for burst. Other shaman's decks also run it at times. And with addition of healing wave in TGT some new control Shaman deck could arise that would be abble to use for board control without dying.
Starfall is quite important for mill druid as the only board clear coupled with Poison Seeds. Not the most common druid deck, but competitive.
Mogor's Champion and Argent Watchman are pure trash and should be dusted.
Other have a very limited use in some gimmicks.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Could play Oil Rogue, it's relatively cheap as well, and can be built without any Naxx cards. Thalnos is a pretty important card for the deck though. It's also relatively difficult to play, especially if you're new to card games in general.

Or he can play Patron Warrior which is cheaper and far, far stronger against the meta game, while only being slightly harder to play. Oil Rogue can't really survive in the world of Secret Paladin.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Unless you're a completionist you can safely DE Alarm-o-Bot, Holy Wrath, Argent Watchman, and Mogor's Champion. Imp Master and Starfall aren't bad starter cards so you should hang on to them both. Blademaster and Doomguard are used in a lot of meta decks. Keep them. And, yes, keep Doomhammer and Alex (Alex is only useful in two decks, neither of which you can play now but it's never a good idea to dust useful legendaries).

Personally I never DE non duplicates no matter how bad because I like having options open in case some wacky deck rolls around. That said I had the luxury of starting in closed beta so I have a massive jump on you. A new player has the benefit of hindsight and a history of a year or so of what cards have risen to the top and what cards will most likely never be used.

Kwa-estion: Are you on Glorious American server or Euro?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Personally I never DE non duplicates no matter how bad because I like having options open in case some wacky deck rolls around.

Kwa-estion: Are you on Glorious American server or Euro?

My battle.net app says "Europe" and I'm meeting a lot of Ze German souding nicks so probably Yuro. Never occured to me to switch since I am an Yurofag.

As for dusting, I understand Blizzard's doing a lot of nerfing/buffing so one, trash rares can become great, and two, nerfed cards could be dusted no-loss? Maybe I should keep all non-duplicates anyway.

hivemind

I understand Blizzard's doing a lot of nerfing/buffing
lmao, where did you get this from ?
they very, very rarely buff or nerf cards

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom