Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Huh yeah the malylock makes sense, but I have literally never run into it while climbing the ladder. Just RNG at work I guess.

In other news I just hit 60 with my shaman.

Try not to be jealous of my two golden Reckless Rocketeers, men.

Fucking Blizzard.

Grinolf

Arcane
Huh yeah the malylock makes sense, but I have literally never run into it while climbing the ladder. Just RNG at work I guess.

Strange, as it was fairly popular in summer. But yes, after TGT I didn't met any other single person playing it even despite addition of Guardians, so I felt as the only person bothering with it. So Priests stole tittle of a primary dragon class.
I'm also barely met any Handlocks sinse TGT, and it's the deck that share some similiar weaknesses while being the best matchup possible. From other hand even if I didn't find it particulary good or bad against Paladins, it showed wevy good winrate agains all these Dragon Priests that are fairly common now, so it's not bad choice for climbing.

Mystary!

Arcane
That's been my experience aswell. Hit rank 5 with demon handlock yesterday.
The winrate against paladin has been absolutely abyssmal (4/12), but fortunately they've only made up 18% of the matchups lately. Aggro/secretdin is bad,but not terrible, because they tend to run out of steam once you BGH their MC, it's the more midrange control oriented type with Equality, Aldors, Tirion and MC that's a pain in the ass.
Against everything else I'm positive. Priest in particular has basically been free wins (11/0).

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Shiiiiit.

Up until today I just sailed through the ladder with my basic-ish Minion Mage (about 8-2 win ratio), got to rank 16 but suddenly who do I run into? An army of people with decks absolutely chock full of epics and legends, match after match. I lost 6 matches, won just one. Lost two ranks.

I just played a priest who at some point plopped an 8 health taunt, doubled its health twice to 32. Next turn Feugen - fireball. Next turn Kelthuzad - sheep. Next turn a bunch of epics - flamestrike. And on and on. I didn't even know most of the cards' effects since I saw them for the first time ever, they were that high up. When I killed another legendary and it summoned yet another 11/11 legendary I just gave up. Few prior matches with hunters and paladins felt similar although not as ridiculous.

So how does this ladder thing work? Who are these people? Aren't they supposed to be much higher this late into the season?

UglyBastard

Arcane
Considering that he is playing Stalagg+Feugen together with some Divine Spirit shenanigans, I'm surprised that he even made it to rank 16.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
This is the turning point, man. This is where Blizzard expects you to drop money on the game. Don't do it. Be strong.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Considering that he is playing Stalagg+Feugen together with some Divine Spirit shenanigans, I'm surprised that he even made it to rank 16.

Battle took like half hour, I held fast but you can't withstand this kind of onslaught with just a basic deck. Sure, bad players are bad even with an orange deck but an average player with oranges against an average player with just basics? GG.

Anyway, FTR is prolly right, around rank 16 I feel I hit my limit with my cheapskate basic bitch deck. Time to do just dailies, keep on building up other classes and generally loaf around. Maybe I'll drop some money into the adventures.

If ya'll don't mind me spectating your games now and then post your IDs. Yesterday I watched herostratus. Fun times.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
WhiteGuts #2891

You should buy Naxx and unlock the first wing of BRM. It'll give you access to a slightly wider variety of decks, including the strongest one out there at the moment.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Unless you're a pro player I don't think you can get higher with a basic deck.
Just wait until you're roflstomped by farmers even at rank 20.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Nope, players with legend decks farming noobs for gold and gold portraits.
Whether they're chink I don't know, but the behavior is bot-like to be sure.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nope, players with legend decks farming noobs for gold and gold portraits.
Whether they're chink I don't know, but the behavior is bot-like to be sure.

How do you farm and stay at low ranks? Concede every second match?

Anyway as long as daily gold limit is 100 meh, let aspies farm.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Meanwhile Trump's entirely F2P priest started in September was at Rank 8 a few days ago. It has no legendaries and runs shit like Stranglethorn tiger, lol. Don't know what it's up to now since I don't watch his stream itself (I just look at the youtube videos put up a few days later)

Trump is obviously a professional player, and I don't expect someone new to do that well, but claiming that new players cant get past rank 20 is pretty silly.

Mystary!

Arcane
Last time I checked Trump was rank 5 and had switched out one Stranglethorn for an Emperor Thaurissan, but he argued that Stranglethorn is still probably better since the reduction doesn't really benefit the deck.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Any reliable info how does the XP system work? On the forums I read it prolly depends on number of turns and cards played - the more the better.

But I'm now trying to level all my classes to lvl 10 and what I noticed is the precise opposite - hunter just steamed forward, earning a level every single match while slower decks like mage or shaman are slow as fuck. So huh?

Mystary!

Arcane
http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Experience#Experience said:
Ben Brode has stated that experience gains are based on several factors, primarily the number of cards played and the number of minions killed. Prior to this statement, one player attempting to discover the underlying formula asserted that experience earned per match was based on either the number of actions taken or the number of cards played during the course of the match. For example, winning or losing a game where the player played no cards and took no actions will reward no XP.
Winning games against real players awards bonus XP.

Andhaira

Arcane
cvv Basic Mage is still one of the strongest decks in the game. Do note though that there is no single deck, not even Face Hunter or Patron Warrior that can win 100% of matches. Or even anywhere close. Everyone loses, a lot.

Anyhow, you could have won against the priest, but again you do not know yet how many cards work. For instance if you had sheeped one of the 2 legends (Staalag & Feugen) you killed before killing it, he would not have summoned the 11/11 minion, becuase that is summoned when both Stalaag & Feugen are killed without being silenced or Polymorphed/Hexed.

What your basic mage deck needs right now is 2 Ice Barriers. If you are going to craft something craft them both. They will increase the mage's longevity. Many mage games rely on the mage surviving to turn 7 even if it means taking quite a bit of damage, unleashing flamestrike and then going on the offensive with another flamestrike in hand to keep the board clear for your minions. Ice Barrier will help you with this. Water Elemental is one of the strongest minions for it's cost. Use it. It's also very helpful against weapon wielding classes. Other cheap cards to consider crafting are 2X Mana Wyrm and Unstable Portal.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
How long does it take to get a decent deck without using the cash shop? I want to make a priest deck, but I have not gotten the time just yet.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How long does it take to get a decent deck without using the cash shop? I want to make a priest deck, but I have not gotten the time just yet.
Depends entirely on how good you are and what class you want to play. Priest is still among the weakest classes and in order to play their strongest deck (Dragon) you'd need at least 3500 gold to get BRM then probably another 4,000 or so gold and good luck in opening packs. Get out that wallet.

It's not even a matter of player time, anymore, but calendar time. It's virtually impossible to 'catch up' without spending money unless you're insanely good at arena. That said, you can still make a somewhat decent priest deck but you'd probably have to disenchant all the suboptimal cards you get in order to craft priest ones.

What your basic mage deck needs right now is 2 Ice Barriers. If you are going to craft something craft them both.
lol no. Please do not waste your dust crafting ice barrier. It's only useful in Freeze Mage which you can't run until you get Naxx for Mad Scientists, then a couple of Doomsayers, then either Pyroblast or Antonidas.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks Metro. I figured Priest would need some investment in terms of both money and time. I followed Hearthstone very early on, but I had to put it down. Trying to get back up to speed has been is harder than I expected.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What your basic mage deck needs right now is 2 Ice Barriers. Other cheap cards to consider crafting are 2X Mana Wyrm and Unstable Portal.

I had 80 dust, was considering two Barriers or two Annoyatrons or two Healbots. In the end I crafted the Annoyatrons and they serve me well so far although the Barriers can't be sheeped or silenced...I'll probably get them next.

Problem with Mana Wyrm it seems an early game card and I'm not running any early game spells. I fear if I craft it and then use it mid/late game it'll just get immediately vaporized without giving me any value. And Unstable Portal sounds great but it's a rare, expensive to craft.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Andhaira is leading you down a dark path, sir.

Thanks Metro. I figured Priest would need some investment in terms of both money and time. I followed Hearthstone very early on, but I had to put it down. Trying to get back up to speed has been is harder than I expected.

Trump started a F2P and ending up doing Priest (mostly because he pulled a Cabal Shadow Priest early). Obviously it all depends on the cards you have/get but if you follow this series it shows you his thought process in building a decent Priest deck excluding adventures and such:

That's not to say you should copy the deck exactly but if you go back over the previous videos you'll pick up on a 'winning' play style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom