Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I never play casual so I guess you're right. Never considered it.

DakaSha

Arcane
Id never fuckign risk my rank for a new deck i dont know how to play.
(or rather dont know if its strong.. legendaries dont make your deck instawin)

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Sure there are some people who are experimenting with new decks, I cannot deny this. But most of them were playing to stomp. They could also be completing quests but this is also highly unlikely.
After hundreds of games, one can understand who is a newbie, who is experimenting, who is questing and who is tryharding. I'm sure they are thinking to themselves "lol I totally pwned that guy", welp I guess egoboosting is also fine after a hard day.

DakaSha

Arcane
well i def use casual for new decks and questing (doing so right now in fact).
Im happy they tryhard because it allows me to actually test my shit lol

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I always try new stuff even in ranked. probably why I always go up a rank, down a rank, up a rank, down a rank. currently sitting on 13 I think? I got there from 16 with rogue. perhaps I should switch to mage or warlock and level up a bit.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Do the ranks even mean much of anything? I'm currently wavering around 15 but matchups are based on overal W-L record right, including pre-patch? When I jumped into 25 I kinda expected to meet total noobs again just like I did when I first started but instead I met guys playing legendaries off the bat. Other than being a shiny, rank doesn't seem to be indicative of anything. But I suppose that's the point?

DakaSha

Arcane
what? You are being ranked against people of the same rank, which means quite a lot. and legendaries dont mean fuckign shit at shit ranks. if you play bad you play bad

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well I suppose it'll equal out on the long-term but I'm not seeing much difference in challenge level of the 25s I went against compared to the 15s I'm going up against now.

DakaSha

Arcane
thats hardly surprising seeing that the first 5 levels dont even count

Zeriel

Arcane
Rank does determine caliber of player. Throwing legendaries out doesn't mean they're good. Of course you can have people at ranks 20-25 who are actually good players who are just coming back after a long hiatus, but overall the system does reflect what it should. I haven't played in a while and I'm sure the ranking system has evolved drastically as people filter to the proper place, but as an example, in the first few days Rank 10 was pretty brutally competitive, with some of the top players in the world around there.

Now I'd imagine they're more around 1-5.

There is a certain amount of "you must play X games to reach Y rank" grinding to the system, due to the way winstreaks work. So you could theoretically have 2 players of equal skill at rank 15 and rank 10, simply because the rank 15 guy hasn't played enough games to get proper winstreaks.

DakaSha

Arcane
At rank 11 the competition is def much better than rank 20. It starts getting hard around 15/14

I fag-fagged and copied a deck from the internet :M it's this one minus sylvanas and Leeroy:

pesdt7O.jpg

Also my name is gypsy caravan of course. It's been super effective so far

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the most powerful legendary by far is Tirion Fordring. they must nerf him. 6/6 with divine shield + taunt, give 5/3 (that's an arcanite reaper with 3 attacks) on death, and only costs 8 mana.
sure, you can silence him, but the odds of having silence to counter him are very slim.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I used silence as a catch-all phrase for removal, dunno why.
but yeah there are some class-specific ways to remove him without triggering the deathrattle, but for 8 mana it's still too much potential value.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yup, math is off there. Sunwalker is 4/5 with taunt/divine shield for 6, Tyrion's relative one health lower is compensated by...a weapon better than the 5-cost arcanite reaper? Even a mana cost increase wouldn't help that much. Nerfing the weapon might!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
That's why I only drop him when I can be 100% certain they used their class counters or at the very end, when if I am to win I need to assume he won't be countered. Often he stays in my hand and I do not play him at all but it's good to know I have him.

Zeriel

Arcane
I wish they'd redesign him instead of nerf. My reasoning: the weapon is what makes him absurd. Outside of that, he's undervalue. Nerfs would probably focus on the weapon... which I'm fine with, but it needs to be replaced with something that makes him a good creature. What? Dunno. Maybe Charge instead of the weapon. Just something that makes him relevant for that cost. The weapon is too good, though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
People will still bitch about that card though. I just see Legendary and I think "make it better".

DakaSha

Arcane
I also blatantly copied some decks found online and havent lost a single (non ranked so far) game with this:

w2wqf.png

Mid game murder deck. Works really well. I think the longest game was 11 or 12 turns so far (although if it goes longer than that, you are prob screwed). Rush decks may also be a problem

edit: well damn. does good in ranked to. still havent lost a game and got to rank 10

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
players like daka and hero is the reason why ranked play is shit :P

I've returned to focusing on arena, but flamestrike is ruining it (holding back minions isn't really an option)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Making it hard for scrubs like you to get past 20 :smug:
I'm rank 13, and I play on EU which is like twice as hard as US (at least it is in SC2/Dota2).
I also don't cheese builds or copy others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom