Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
When you dust "extra cards", does the client:

a) Dust non-gold versions first

b) Dust gold versions first

c) Treat gold and non-gold as different cards?

FVJj9ck.png

Feels good man :smug:

In case you want to emulate my coolness: The trick was to get all the OP 4-drops (note 0 losses :smug: :smug: :smug:)

X8LFqjc.png

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Second Aldor Peacekeeper! This is gonna hurt me more than it hurts them! Wait, other way around …

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Second Aldor Peacekeeper! This is gonna hurt me more than it hurts them! Wait, other way around …
follow da rulez

I think I know why fire-blast is such an op card, it's an epic card but it's essential in a mage deck :troll:

Fireball still beats morality mortal strike though

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I just went 7-3 with a deck with only 2-drops, 3-drops and 4-drops, 3 of which was Argent Protector and 4 of which was Questing Adventurer :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I started winning ALOT more in Arena. I was pretty dissatisfied with the fact that my most frequent rankings were 3-2/4-2, with one or two 6-2s. I then read this guide: http://ihearthu.com/vivafringes-guide-to-arena/ and though some of it's a bit outdated already, there is some excellent advice.

Basically the core of what I did wrong, was that I went to the face WAY too often, instead of trading off my guys. My logic was that I would go to the face, then opponent would trade off, so I got a net gain. What I wasn't seeing, and what is now clear (I've really started noticing it), is that often not trading will offer the opponent the chance to cast a buff or trade more favourably with a Charge minion or whatever. So basically, I'm now playing ULTRA-safe unless I'm trying to kill my opponent fast.

Anyway, guide is good. Also contains Trump's advice on picks, which I roughly agree with. I also like Mage more now than I did before, mostly because I valued some cards too high and some too low, resulting in me being bad at drafting Mage

I still hate drafting Priest and Warrior, and more and I avoid Shaman.

Last edited:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Face vs trade is tricky but I'm definitely one of the careful sorts, I learned pretty early that not trading, especially at good opportunities, is just giving your opponent the opportunity to turn things around. The most important calculations I keep making in my head now are all about cards, health and even minion-count is pretty irrelevant, as long as you can keep trading one card for multiple you will generally end up winning.

Watch Trump's youtube or twitch channels too if you have the time. He's kind of a dork but he explains things well enough and just watching him pick definitely improved my game. Went from regularly 3-3, 4-3 to not being satisfied with anything below 6-3. Just had back to back 7-3 runs with shamans. Still not doing much of 9 or above though, maybe this guide'll help, thanks for the link!

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
lol. note the hammers of wrath too.
looool.jpg

it's as if people are looking to kill me through card draws

edit: oops uploaded the wrong pic

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Been cheeky against a rogue. She dropped Sylvanas which I reduced to 1 attack with a peacekeeper and dropped a Venture Co. As expected, she traded her other minion with the peacekeeper and killed Sylvanas on the Venture Co, and since it was my only minion left it predictably went to her side.

Next turn I played my second peacekeeper on the Venture Co. Enjoy your hard-earned 1 attack minion that makes your other minons cost 3 more.

Disgruntled

Savant
I started winning ALOT more in Arena. I was pretty dissatisfied with the fact that my most frequent rankings were 3-2/4-2, with one or two 6-2s. I then read this guide: http://ihearthu.com/vivafringes-guide-to-arena/ and though some of it's a bit outdated already, there is some excellent advice.

Basically the core of what I did wrong, was that I went to the face WAY too often, instead of trading off my guys. My logic was that I would go to the face, then opponent would trade off, so I got a net gain. What I wasn't seeing, and what is now clear (I've really started noticing it), is that often not trading will offer the opponent the chance to cast a buff or trade more favourably with a Charge minion or whatever. So basically, I'm now playing ULTRA-safe unless I'm trying to kill my opponent fast.

Anyway, guide is good. Also contains Trump's advice on picks, which I roughly agree with. I also like Mage more now than I did before, mostly because I valued some cards too high and some too low, resulting in me being bad at drafting Mage

I still hate drafting Priest and Warrior, and more and I avoid Shaman.

Watching streams and reading a guide or two has definitely helped me. Hearthstone seems to require a different approach to the other tcgs ive played. I was used to maximizing my resource use on every turn and thereby leaving myself exposed in the late game with nothing to draw on (specifically as I main a shaman which has poor card draw)

I still havent learnt all the classes properly which screws me over in arena at times. Tend to favor mage, paladin or shaman.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_1.8.2014.04.45.35.png

I managed to win but god damn :D
Haha that happened to me as well once.

On another note, two out of three losses in arena today was due to DCs. Is it just me or is battlenet still quite buggy? Not to mention merciless and without a reconnect functionality. Games like Dota and LoL have reconnect functionalities, in a turn based game that shit should be even easier.... Give another 1-2 minutes on top of the ordinary 90 sec turn timer or something.

On a third note: Grunker I had the same problem, then started always board clearing over damage, but recently have gone away from that approach, which wins me many games on tempo. I think a golden middle road is the best approach - but the trick is to anticipate the enemies board clear. Like, if I have 2hp creatures before turn 4 vs paladin I board clear, if not or if its obvious he doesnt have consecrate I go for the throat. Going for the throat can put the enemy on a constant catch up curve, like you play-> hit then he trades, then you play creature->hit his fehs, he trades and then you finish him off with two dmg spells and a charger or something.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, lack of reconnect is bullshit. Fuck me many times.

On a third note: Grunker I had the same problem, then started always board clearing over damage, but recently have gone away from that approach, which wins me many games on tempo. I think a golden middle road is the best approach - but the trick is to anticipate the enemies board clear. Like, if I have 2hp creatures before turn 4 vs paladin I board clear, if not or if its obvious he doesnt have consecrate I go for the throat. Going for the throat can put the enemy on a constant catch up curve, like you play-> hit then he trades, then you play creature->hit his fehs, he trades and then you finish him off with two dmg spells and a charger or something.

I agree with all of this, but I think I need to go through a bit of a process overvaluing trades to understand when it is correct to do what. Ultimately, the true fine-line decisions are more gut feeling that conscious choice. Overall though, it has really helped me to up the amount of trades. I completely agree with your point about board sweepers and that if you can play around them and still fill your board, you can secure almost certain victory.

What's your usual win-ratio? I'm pretty solidly never doing worse than 4 wins now. I'd like that number to be 5, then I'm pretty satisfied I think. I'd also like to go above 7 just a couple of times though, seems I never, ever do. And 7 is pretty effin' rare.

Yeah, lack of reconnect is bullshit. Fuck me many times.

I agree with all of this, but I think I need to go through a bit of a process overvaluing trades to understand when it is correct to do what. Ultimately, the true fine-line decisions are more gut feeling that conscious choice. Overall though, it has really helped me to up the amount of trades. I completely agree with your point about board sweepers and that if you can play around them and still fill your board, you can secure almost certain victory.

What's your usual win-ratio? I'm pretty solidly never doing worse than 4 wins now. I'd like that number to be 5, then I'm pretty satisfied I think. I'd also like to go above 7 just a couple of times though, seems I never, ever do. And 7 is pretty effin' rare.
Oooh, hard to say, I don't write it down. Last two weeks I can think of 3 really rotten ones but other than those bad ones I rarely get less than 7 (even when I dc'd twice :smug:) and fairly often a 10, though that seems to be my max. Average of 7 perhaps, but my scores are fairly random and pride goeth before the fall so I'm a bit afraid of putting out a concrete number there...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I just went 0-3 for the first time... feels good mang.

(Rogue deck where almost all picks were 4-mana or more)

Average of 7 would be insanely impressive. Makes you Top 5% of Hearthstone.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm at 105-78, 57% win-rate, so that's p bad (like less than 4 wins average?), but that's my entire arena log. I'm getting way better now, my last runs:

Priest 6-3 85 gold
Mage 4-3 80 gold
Paladin 5-3 105 gold
Priest 4-3 60 gold
Shaman 7-3 150 gold
Warlock 1-3 0 gold
Shaman 7-3 150 gold
Paladin 9-3 300 gold
Priest 5-3 100 gold

(I don't know how to play Warlock)
So that's 48-27, average run of 5.3-3, 64% winrate (unless I'm calculating something wrong). Not great, but I'm ok with it. I don't feel good about any runs sub-5 anymore.

Still trying to get to dat 12.

Amusingly that Paladin 9-run had very few good paladin-cards. Always take better neutrals over mediocre-crappy class cards!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
early removal with big minion late is my favorite playstyle at the moment.
for this reason, I'm really liking priest. I've actually climbed up ranks to.. 11 and full stars - without any intention to actually do so. maybe I should play unranked... I want easy dailys :P

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I just got triple blood imped. A most unpleasant experience, I assure you.

The worst part was knowing that I was a mage who drafted no AoE except for a one of arcane explosion--to deal with blood imps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom