Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You do need to build decks to ensure you have very good odds for turn 2 plays, or ideally turn 2-3-4 plays. I wouldn't say that's a flaw, it's how the game plays.

Also I pretty much only want to play Arena, but you really have to do a WoW style grind to get the gold for it. Charging 2 dollars for a single Arena run is retarded. 2 dollars for 4 arena runs I might actually pay for. I don't care what the rewards are, you could remove them totally and I would not care if I could play it. My ideal scenario is you pay for it as a real game, like 30 bucks or whatever, and can play whatever you want. I'm not good enough to play Arena and snowball with gold to always recoup my losses. Also I've seen some bullshit. A Paladin I get to 4 health twice, and both times he had a Lay On Hands and I ran out of cards. Fuck that guy.
Arena rewards are a must because it pays for itself. My last 3 runs I went 8-3, 12-2 and 7-3, which netted a total of 855 gold, enough for 5 runs and change. Between that and quests I don't think I've ever had to pay for arena.

One shitty thing they really need to pull is the random common card occurring in any reward tier. You can go 12-0 and get a fucking wisp as one of your rewards. Stop. Doing. That.

That 7-3 was amusing. One of my worst drafts ever. I took a fucking Naturalize FFS. Still managed to drag out 7 wins. Sometimes arena throws shitty drafts at you but if you make the right picks and plays you should still come out ok.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Oh, I guess there was a thread and some diligent mod moved my post, so good. Hearthstone is an RPG? lel

I've played Arena three times. I went 6 wins (paladin), 1 win (priest), 1 win (rogue). I suppose that means I suck. When I play constructed though I do nothing but win, despite not having all the class cards since I just started. Playing Druid and hoping for Innervate seems like such a powerful strategy. It puts you so far ahead if you get one early

I do still wish I could just play Arena, even if all I do is lose a lot. It's like a draft mode, it's more fun. I like the RNG element in this situation.

The game does seem to be just RNG based upon your starting hand, but it still is fun. I think it's because the games are short. Like, if Dota 2 games were so short it would be such a better game because you could move on from shit games faster.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Arena rewards are a must because it pays for itself. My last 3 runs I went 8-3, 12-2 and 7-3, which netted a total of 855 gold, enough for 5 runs and change. Between that and quests I don't think I've ever had to pay for arena.

One shitty thing they really need to pull is the random common card occurring in any reward tier. You can go 12-0 and get a fucking wisp as one of your rewards. Stop. Doing. That.

That 7-3 was amusing. One of my worst drafts ever. I took a fucking Naturalize FFS. Still managed to drag out 7 wins. Sometimes arena throws shitty drafts at you but if you make the right picks and plays you should still come out ok.

I went 1-9 in three attempt at the Arena. Decided to just play casual mode and buy packs for 100g every so often.

I went 1-9 in three attempt at the Arena. Decided to just play casual mode and buy packs for 100g every so often.
You could follow this list slavishly: http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=513

It ain't a perfect approach but it'll get you further than 1-9 :M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I might. I'm just sort of killing time until my new PC is ready this week and I can get off the crappy Mac I've been using. I'm just not that into card games. It's fun but overall it's odd that Arena is the most 'even/fair' experience but you're doing it because it nets the best rewards… that are only useful in the 'uneven/arms race' ranked experience. Welcome to the world of collectable card games, I guess.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Oh, I didn't even know Trump's new guide was out. It's really hard to argue with it since it got me probably +3 wins on average by reading his stuff and watching his videos.

His top cards are pretty obvious. Venture Co Merc is easy to underrate but actually amazing. His drawback is usually almost irrelevant since the opponent will overinvest in getting rid of him if played on turn 5. He's won me many games.

Also bleh drafts continue. Only 6-3 with a shaman. Booo! I should be ok with anything above 5 but booo!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
His top cards are pretty obvious. Venture Co Merc is easy to underrate but actually amazing. His drawback is usually almost irrelevant since the opponent will overinvest in getting rid of him if played on turn 5. He's won me many games.

And I love it even more as Paladin in case the enemy take control of it. Aldor Peacekeeper and you got a minion that hits for 1 and increases your minion cost by 3.

J1M

Arcane
Unlocked the last of the pirates today and got the parrots. Can anyone recommend a good pirate deck?

Oh, and in case we have any that joined due to open beta reading this, here is the card progression you can expect without spending money:

After 1 month: 45% of cards unlocked
After 4 months: 70% of cards unlocked

Granted, I spend most of my dust on legendaries...

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Don't worry, soon you will be turning 3 or 4 cards from every pack into dust.

Got Murloc Warleader as the last, final murloc and then I got myself old Murk eye. Hurrlock is massive :incline:, even comtemplaying crafting a second warleader since its one of the strongest hurrlocs. For late game I have one pit lord and one doomguard.

J1M

Arcane
Got Murloc Warleader as the last, final murloc and then I got myself old Murk eye. Hurrlock is massive :incline:, even comtemplaying crafting a second warleader since its one of the strongest hurrlocs. For late game I have one pit lord and one doomguard.
You should craft Jaraxxus.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
What rank should I reach before I can attempt arena without completely wasting my money? Been playing this for a few days, managed to get to rank 16 today.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I can barely get to 19-18 and I am doing OK in Arena (at least gold wise). Even when playing badly I usually get most of those 150g back (card pack + some gold as reward).

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I jumped right into arena and never really lost money (I mean, my net gain is only about 120-130 gold per arena so that's a slight loss, but with quests that tends to be enough to the point where I'm well up). It has a different mindset from ranked play though, so it's kinda like relearning things, you gotta learn to play slower and ride the cards the draft gives you.

Man, top-game arena is so filled with Paladins. Seems to be the most popular or most winningest class in arena by a noteable margin, though Mage is not too far behind.

Also, it's amusing to see Hunter become one of the most popular classes in the top-100-level play, all rushdown and amusing gimmicks. It seems to UTH buff made it a pretty damn playable card again, which is cool, though it's still not very good in arena (I do alright with it, but it just isn't).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I've kind of stopped playing this and gone back to dota a bit.

They need to add some new cards. It's not fun when you can't stay ahead of the curve with knowledge :D

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
More cards and classes are always welcome, kinda doubt it before beta is over.

Also, with beta now being open, there's gotta be armies of horribly playing scrubs in arena. I haven't really had the chance to jump into arena again but it's gotta be pretty easy to get that first handful of wins now.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What rank should I reach before I can attempt arena without completely wasting my money? Been playing this for a few days, managed to get to rank 16 today.

Rank really has no bearing on Arena. If you're good enough to be level 16 then you're good enough to know what you're doing. Since I can't get more than 1-2 wins I stopped doing it. But if you can easily get 5+ wins each time you might as well just chain Arena.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I started playing this yesterday and am enjoying it quite a bit, even if I'm not very good (lost most of the battles against the AI after the tutorial).

Can anyone tell me what is the main source of gold in the game?

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Just entered my first arena. Didn't do terribly well, currently on 3-2. Lost both games to mages, beat a paladin and the third mage I met though.:smug: Didn't play a single game with shamans before, but so far I've found them to be reasonably strong.

This is probably a really dumb question, but does anyone know how do I abandon quests? I've looked everywhere and couldn't find the button.
I started playing this yesterday and am enjoying it quite a bit, even if I'm not very good (lost most of the battles against the AI after the tutorial).

Can anyone tell me what is the main source of gold in the game?
You get 10 gold for every 3 games you win (including casual and ranked games, but games against AI doesn't count). But the main source of gold is quests. You get a quest every day, completing which grants you a large sum of gold (at least 40, sometimes more).

Other than that, you can gain gold by playing in arena. Entering the arena costs 150 gold, but you also get gold depending on how much you win in arena. If you're really good you can actually gain money by playing arena.

Note: from what I've heard, you should never spend gold on packs. Save you money for arena. If you can get at least 3 wins in arena, it's more gold efficient than buying packs.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
they removed quest abandonment because there was some bug with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom