Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've sent some Bnet invites to you, bros (Zed, Felipepepe, Excidium, DakaSha, herostratus & more). Let me know if any of them reached the target.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
If you ask me, that was not entirely undeserved. He should not have ignored your minions as that is just asking for shenanigans to occur in this game, especially with the health he was at and with a minion on the field that will hurt him when it dies. He got nervous and maximized his chance of losing. He should have known that, with the armour, he was out of range of any un-comboed rogue spell, and realized that the chances of you topdecking an instant kill when he has a taunter were very small.

You could have just as easily drawn a silencer and finished him for all he knew. He made a misplay, and it cost him the game.
Uhm, no, if I'd drawn a silencer I'd be dead, because he had two taunts (the LotA and the abom).

His biggest mistake, I think, was playing an abomination when he's at low health and has board control, especially since he KNEW I could kill it the next turn. If I drew an Eviscerate or Perdition's Blade he'd have died too. Still, it was definitely a ridiculously lucky win. And while he did misplay, so did I!

Stonewolf

Augur
I started playing this yesterday and am enjoying it quite a bit, even if I'm not very good (lost most of the battles against the AI after the tutorial).

Dont worry, playing against other people is mostly luck based currently.

Grinolf

Arcane
His biggest mistake, I think, was playing an abomination when he's at low health and has board control, especially since he KNEW I could kill it the next turn. If I drew an Eviscerate or Perdition's Blade he'd have died too. Still, it was definitely a ridiculously lucky win. And while he did misplay, so did I!

There is also a dwarf that could deal 2 damage. And rogue have some other spells for the damage, but they wasn't expected to be picked often. But playing abomination didn't look like mistake to me. He only should have insured, that minions on the board wouldn't have enough damage to kill it. More so even with golem on board you have 50% chances to win in that situation, so it not like you lucked out and win was undeserved.
I lost in similiar way when I decided to ignore one enemy minion for the sake of having lethal next turn. But there I calculated, that he need at least two cards aside from that minion for killing me with the exception of Ragnaros. He had the one card, but he keeped it quite a long time, so I decided, that it's useless in his situation. Turns out, that it was Heroic Strike, that he saved for finishing me. And he draw Charge that turn too.

More anecdotal data. I continue to get raped in 'casual' mode but still do pretty good in ranked mode. Up to Rank 18 now and 90% of the time it's a competitive match with more than a few coming down to no cards left for either player. They say casual matches are based on record but I think that's a load of shit and they just pit whoever versus whoever.

Strange, because I currently have rank 19 and all I meet was ridiculously weak opponents. I didn't even try to increase in ranks and only fought there for quests, but with my current win streak I gain ranks very fast. That actually could become a problem, since from epics I have only some warrior weapon and completing quests soon could become much harder.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
My favourite thing about being down around rank 17 is when I get knocked down in ranked play (comes up in casual too) where it's some dickhead who just sits there and plays legendaries and/or giants every turn for like 6 turns or so and I blow all my cards getting rid of them, then they decide to toss down Ragnaros or something (no, I'm not exaggerating).

Dunno if they spent a bunch of money on the game or just had a lot of dust from when the game had more, but it's pretty lame when you're sitting with your stack of starter cards and a few expert ones. It's not even that most of them are particularly good players, I just don't have the cards to compete with that bullshit for very long.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Didn't win a single game with my paladin at levels 17+ but now I'm 15 and it's going pretty well.

Grinolf

Arcane
My favourite thing about being down around rank 17 is when I get knocked down in ranked play (comes up in casual too) where it's some dickhead who just sits there and plays legendaries and/or giants every turn for like 6 turns or so and I blow all my cards getting rid of them, then they decide to toss down Ragnaros or something (no, I'm not exaggerating).

Dunno if they spent a bunch of money on the game or just had a lot of dust from when the game had more, but it's pretty lame when you're sitting with your stack of starter cards and a few expert ones. It's not even that most of them are particularly good players, I just don't have the cards to compete with that bullshit for very long.
Maybe they faming the gold by purposedly keeping themselves on the low ranks? And the fact, that they aren't a good players, explains why they don't go on arena.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
players should just get one free arena run daily. scrap the gold system. shit's wrecked. I get to play arena maybe once a week (after my 11-3 runt I haven't gotten over like 5 wins ever, and like three 1-3s in a row).

J1M

Arcane
players should just get one free arena run daily. scrap the gold system. shit's wrecked. I get to play arena maybe once a week (after my 11-3 runt I haven't gotten over like 5 wins ever, and like three 1-3s in a row).
How is it you only earn 150 gold a week, when you receive 7 quests worth at least 40 gold each? (+ arena winnings and pity gold for wins in play mode...)

Monstrous Bat

Cipher

There is also a dwarf that could deal 2 damage. And rogue have some other spells for the damage, but they wasn't expected to be picked often. But playing abomination didn't look like mistake to me. He only should have insured, that minions on the board wouldn't have enough damage to kill it. More so even with golem on board you have 50% chances to win in that situation, so it not like you lucked out and win was undeserved.
I lost in similiar way when I decided to ignore one enemy minion for the sake of having lethal next turn. But there I calculated, that he need at least two cards aside from that minion for killing me with the exception of Ragnaros. He had the one card, but he keeped it quite a long time, so I decided, that it's useless in his situation. Turns out, that it was Heroic Strike, that he saved for finishing me. And he draw Charge that turn too.
You mean leper gnome? Yeah, that would've killed him too, but I didn't draft any of those.

I agree that he should've played the abom after dealing with my minions. Killing a harvest golem is a bit tricky though, so I kind of understand why he didn't.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
How is it you only earn 150 gold a week, when you receive 7 quests worth at least 40 gold each? (+ arena winnings and pity gold for wins in play mode...)
I don't really make an effort to play any quests because play mode is borked. Can't really compete against legendary decks unless it's my pala or if I'm lucky priest.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I saved enough gold for an arena run, so I will probably give it a shot later today.

Although I should probably play with all classes a bit first, as I only levelled up mage and warrior to 10+. Maybe it's better to grind expert AI first?

J1M

Arcane
I don't really make an effort to play any quests because play mode is borked. Can't really compete against legendary decks unless it's my pala or if I'm lucky priest.
Can't fix stupid. Carry on.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Can't fix stupid. Carry on.
Can't finish half the quests with the decks I have at the rank I'm at.

Grinolf

Arcane
Although I should probably play with all classes a bit first, as I only levelled up mage and warrior to 10+. Maybe it's better to grind expert AI first?

It's a good idea to get accustomed with classes before you play them in arena. I failed my first Paladin and Shaman runs because I neglected it and thought that knowing theory would be enough. Also it is a good idea to rank classes from most comfortable to the least and try to play only as them until you save some money for not so successful runs.
But I don't think that expert AI would help you that much with arena. Even ranked wouldn't help you that much since you would fight there mosly against much weaker opponent than in arena. And also you don't have most of the cards that you could pich for arena deck.

You mean leper gnome? Yeah, that would've killed him too, but I didn't draft any of those.

Leper gnome too, but I spoke about Stormpike Commando. It pretty popular card, so one should expect it from the player.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron

It's a good idea to get accustomed with classes before you play them in arena. I failed my first Paladin and Shaman runs because I neglected it and thought that knowing theory would be enough. Also it is a good idea to rank classes from most comfortable to the least and try to play only as them until you save some money for not so successful runs.
But I don't think that expert AI would help you that much with arena. Even ranked wouldn't help you that much since you would fight there mosly against much weaker opponent than in arena. And also you don't have most of the cards that you could pich for arena deck.
By grinding expert AI I only meant defeating each once (to get the 100 gold bonus) and getting accustomed to different classes in the process, but it's good to know that the only way to learn the arena is to play the arena. ;) Or maybe I will watch some Trump's streams first.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Trump's not always great at explaining things so watching him play already requires a level of knowledge. But his logics are pretty "obvious" so not too hard to learn.

Grinding up AI at least for the gold (and card unlocks) is worthwhile, playing ranked does help to get a feel for a deck's typical pacing but it is true you have to learn that the logic of deckbuilding and play-pace in arena is different from play-mode. The best arena play tends to feature way more vanilla, dependable cards and decks tend strongly to be more patient than ranked decks.

Play mode is not borked; legendaries does not mean someone's deck is good, and other than the absolute top-level deck and the legendaries you always see there (Rag, sylvanas, etc) they're not required to play well in ranked mode. It does take some time to reshuffle the rankings after each reset which can lead to some funny matchups but good players can still battle their way up. When I last played ranked it wasn't really a challenge until you hit like the 14-15 space. I'm not very good at ranked though.

As for the luck argument, well, any CCG is luck-based to some extent. Hearthstone perhaps a little more. But if you think win or loss is determined "mostly" by luck you're just bad at the game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
As for the luck argument, well, any CCG is luck-based to some extent. Hearthstone perhaps a little more. But if you think win or loss is determined "mostly" by luck you're just bad at the game.
I'm pretty sure I never said anything like this (or planned to ;)).
But yeah, I am pretty bad, especially at constructing decks. Switching to cards recommended by Trump has increased my win ratio significantly.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nah I was replying to a bunch of posts in one go. That was in reply to Stonewolf.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I've just had the weirdest match against a control freak mage deck (with me also as a mage, but more balanced). He had almost no creatures, mostly spells, secrets and such. I slowly wore him down and eventually he played Rangaros, who I promptly turned into a sheep. That was when the other guy conceded. :D

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Strange, because I currently have rank 19 and all I meet was ridiculously weak opponents. I didn't even try to increase in ranks and only fought there for quests, but with my current win streak I gain ranks very fast. That actually could become a problem, since from epics I have only some warrior weapon and completing quests soon could become much harder.

It's not 'strange' because you're really good at the game. When you can win like 12+ arena games I don't know why it surprises you.
Play mode is not borked; legendaries does not mean someone's deck is good, and other than the absolute top-level deck and the legendaries you always see there (Rag, sylvanas, etc) they're not required to play well in ranked mode.

Yesterday I lost to a faggot in ranked that played two 5/10 epic ancients of... something (they had taunt), Sylvanas, and Ragnaros. I actually survived the first ancient and Sylvanas but immediately shut down rage quit after the second and Rag and me having shit way to deal with it.

Grinolf

Arcane
It's not 'strange' because you're really good at the game. When you can win like 12+ arena games I don't know why it surprises you.

Yes I apparently already mastered every inch of that game. Like yesterday I managed to draw a deck with three legendaries and went 2-3 with it. Don't think many people know, that that is possible. And 2 next arena runs weren't better either, so it looks like I would have serious money troubles soon.
On more serious, even if I have some very good arena runs my average is currently somewhere around 5 wins, that it's pretty mediocre result. I'm playind these game only less than week, but still...

Monstrous Bat

Cipher

Leper gnome too, but I spoke about Stormpike Commando. It pretty popular card, so one should expect it from the player.[/quote]
Oh, right. Completely forgot about that guy. Hmm, I didn't realize there's so many ways to deal 2 untauntable damage!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom