Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

J1M

Arcane
I started playing this yesterday and am enjoying it quite a bit, even if I'm not very good (lost most of the battles against the AI after the tutorial).

Can anyone tell me what is the main source of gold in the game?
There are also big chunks of gold awarded for certain things, like beating all of the "expert" AI characters once. You should be able to easily find a list of these online.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok, one another question. On what does depend which cards are offered to you in the arena deck building phase? Are they taken from your collection?

J1M

Arcane
Ok, one another question. On what does depend which cards are offered to you in the arena deck building phase? Are they taken from your collection?
Random. There is no advantage to having a big collection in arena. That is the reason so many people enjoy it. :)

You are guaranteed something like 4-6 rare cards and anything above that is good luck. They will also never ask you to pick between cards of different rarities.

Grinolf

Arcane
I advise you to read that article before you go into arena. Additionally you could watch the videos on his channel with the class you choose to play. They usually hour long, but they most likely save you much more time, since you in danger of wasting all your gold while you learn all basic aspects of the game and find yourself in need of farming gold so you could start farming card with it or pay real money.
Being the new player myself I managed to have two 10 wins arena runs from my current 6 total with that, which I think is pretty decent result. But I guess it also matter of playstyle, since I also prefer play the games slow and carefully, which could not be case for you, so with your playstyle his tactics wouldn't be that successful.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just entered my first arena. Didn't do terribly well, currently on 3-2.

I'd say that's fairly well. Four wins is essentially breaking even and usually then some since it takes 100 gold to buy a booster pack. I know BN said that the 7+ or w/e win plateau is 'breaking even' but that's actually 'profit' territory. You're getting a free booster pack every time you enter and, at that rate, you can enter indefinitely.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well I meant break even for full run, 150 gold not counting booster pack as 100 gold, and 7 wins for me averages exactly 150 gold. But you usually don't need quite that much since daily quests will supplement a lot. Still, you won't be able to keep re-entering with just 4 wins per, you probably need at least 5-6 wins per to do so plus quests (5-6 wins is about 120 gold from my own charting)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's just me saying I hate you and your uber skillz. I WANT T3H LEGENDARIES! Also, at 5-6 wins you're probably getting dust along with the gold.

Grinolf

Arcane
Finished my seventh arena run with 12 wins and 2 loses. Suprisingly that deck wasn't even that strong and only third of cards are considered top tier:

• Innervate × 1
    Abusive Sergeant × 1
    Argent Squire × 1
    Naturalize × 1
    Bloodfen Raptor × 1
    Mark of the Wild × 1
    Power of the Wild × 1
    Wrath × 1
    Emperor Cobra × 1
    Harvest Golem × 1
    Raging Worgen × 2
    Cult Master × 1
    Keeper of the Grove × 1
    Sen'jin Shieldmasta × 1
    Spellbreaker × 1
    Swipe × 2
    Druid of the Claw × 1
    Gurubashi Berserker × 1
    Silver Hand Knight × 1
    Stampeding Kodo × 1
    Stranglethorn Tiger × 1
    Argent Commander × 2
    Boulderfist Ogre × 1
    Frost Elemental × 1
    Lord of the Arena × 1
    Ancient of Lore × 1
    Ragnaros the Firelord × 1
But on the other side I was lucky to not meet anyone with the broken deck even at 9+ wins and all loses were because of horrible starting hand and some misplayes. And Ragnarons also helped in few matches. That 10-10 Ragnaros taunt was brutal.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I went 0-10 in 'casual' mode. Switched over to ranked and went 1-1. The matchmaking is shit in casual mode.

Grinolf

Arcane
I thought Arena run ends when you win nine games (or lose three)?
They changed it some times ago. Maybe because win 9 times there isn't that big of deal. But I am not sure if it simply means, that reward for current 12 is the same as for previous 9, or they increased it as well. I get two card packs, one golden card and 250 gold for 12 one, and looking on the screenshots from previous version, I see that rewards looks significantly smaller there. But I could just be lucky and they usually isn't that big.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I advise you to read that article before you go into arena. Additionally you could watch the videos on his channel with the class you choose to play. They usually hour long, but they most likely save you much more time, since you in danger of wasting all your gold while you learn all basic aspects of the game and find yourself in need of farming gold so you could start farming card with it or pay real money.
Being the new player myself I managed to have two 10 wins arena runs from my current 6 total with that, which I think is pretty decent result. But I guess it also matter of playstyle, since I also prefer play the games slow and carefully, which could not be case for you, so with your playstyle his tactics wouldn't be that successful.
Trump's guide is very helpful, but it only talks about neutral common minions. For a tier list of every card in arena, look here.

Also, played a bit more arena today, got to 5-2. Huh... after losing 2 games to mages I thought I'd go out soon, but somehow I managed to go from 1-2 to 5-2. Might have had something to do with my ridiculously good list of 4 and 5 drops.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Who else thinks Ragnaros will be getting nerfed? :P

Grinolf

Arcane
Trump's guide is very helpful, but it only talks about neutral common minions. For a tier list of every card in arena, look here.

Yes, it's mentioned there that that guide isn't complete and should have continuation, but for some reason it isn't currently the case.
But what's good about it is the fact, that it isn't just list of cards and there are explanations about what make one card good and other bad. So you could use it even for cards that isn't here. And even if Blizzard change some cards later, it would be fine as long as they don't change mechanic of the game or add something new.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ragnaros is in every deck at high levels which Blizzard purports to hate. That said, they don't seem to nerf legendaries quite as quick as they do basic commons, presumably because they're more costly to get so they're better for the bottom line if everyone wants them.

They changed it some times ago. Maybe because win 9 times there isn't that big of deal. But I am not sure if it simply means, that reward for current 12 is the same as for previous 9, or they increased it as well. I get two card packs, one golden card and 250 gold for 12 one, and looking on the screenshots from previous version, I see that rewards looks significantly smaller there. But I could just be lucky and they usually isn't that big.
They seem to have tweaked rewards a lot actually. I got 505 gold for my one 12-run, but in general they seem to have reduce the amount of dust you get towards more balance of gold and (sadly) single cards (please stop giving me commons).

J1M

Arcane
I would be ok getting cards from arena if they were guaranteed to be golden or epic quality. Currently, it acts to give me 5 or 20 dust instead of 20-100 dust like it used to reward.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, they need to completely yank giving commons as arena rewards, even golden ones. It's really annoying.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
No, they're just pretty. And give more dust when you disenchant them (especially handy if you happen to have a golden version of a card that got nerfed, as those also give more dust).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've gathered some Battle.net ids from this thread, I am going to send some friend invites a bit later, if you bros don't mind (I assume you don't).

edit:
Also, I've decided to twitch/youtube all my Hearthstone games to record my progress and laugh at them later, when I get better (assuming I don't get bored with the game), just because Nvidia software allows doing that with a few clicks.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Won a priest/priest match in ranked. Phagmo tried to Malygos me and nuke with smite/mind blast. Then he doubled it's health thinking 'lol I can't lose!' Mad Alchemist changed his 24 health to attack... shadow word death insta-destroyed it. After that he had shit.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I managed to get the most undeserved win ever in arena:
Rogue vs. Warrior. I'm the rogue. He's down to 2 health, but he had board control and I had NO CARD. He had a 3/1 minion and a lord of the arena, and he's swinging the fiery war axe. I had a harvest golem and a worgen inflitrator.

It's his turn. He used armor up, then played a shattered sun cleric and an abomination. Then he decided to ignore my minions and go all-out on my hero, bringing me down to 4 health. It seemed like I'm dead. On my turn, I topdecked a mad bomber, and I had a plan.

I traded both my minions for his abomination. The abomination's deathrattle triggered, killing all minions except his LotA (who was left with 1 health) and my damaged golem. (big mistake; should've attacked the abomination with the harvest golem first, so that his deathrattle would've killed the harvest golem as well.) Both heroes were left with 2 health. He still had the fiery war axe, so if it went to his turn I'm dead.

I played my mad bomber.

The first bomb hit my hero.
The second bomb killed the LotA.
The third bomb hit his hero.

I finished him off with a dagger.

I felt so sorry for my opponent. That was like the worst way to die.:lol:
In other news: Trump's arena tier list for neutral rares is out!

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If you ask me, that was not entirely undeserved. He should not have ignored your minions as that is just asking for shenanigans to occur in this game, especially with the health he was at and with a minion on the field that will hurt him when it dies. He got nervous and maximized his chance of losing. He should have known that, with the armour, he was out of range of any un-comboed rogue spell, and realized that the chances of you topdecking an instant kill when he has a taunter were very small.

You could have just as easily drawn a silencer and finished him for all he knew. He made a misplay, and it cost him the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
More anecdotal data. I continue to get raped in 'casual' mode but still do pretty good in ranked mode. Up to Rank 18 now and 90% of the time it's a competitive match with more than a few coming down to no cards left for either player. They say casual matches are based on record but I think that's a load of shit and they just pit whoever versus whoever.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Matchmaking in casual wasnt that bad for me. 5-1 (win - loss). In ranked it's 1-2 right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom