Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hedon - first person action-adventure game in the GZDoom engine

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So we finally get a decent retro shooter and it's done by a degenerate coomer?
I played the first episode and it's really, really good.

Every level has some sort of "side quest" or gimmick going on, and the level design is more Build Engine than Doom.

As an example, in the first level you can complete an interrupted ritual to get your hands on a powerful item, in the forge level you can go around mining and collecting raw materials that you can then use to make ammo for your weapons. There's a lot of interactivity in the levels and plenty of stuff to read that either serves as worldbuilding/exposition or gives you clues to secret areas.

The atmosphere is also to be recommended, especially in the first few levels where you're trying to figure out just what the Hell is going on.

About the only criticism I have about the game is that the majority of the boss fights are huge mobs of enemies instead of something more unique - but then I remember that I dislike most bosses in FPS so actually fighting a horde of diverse mooks is more fun and engaging than a big bullet-sponge that chases you around.

First level good.
Another quick comment on that for secret hunters, just 'cause I remembered to mention it this time, BEWARE. There's a secret you can (Seemingly) only reach by rocket jumping. First episode didn't have any secrets like that, but the first episode did have a solitary timed-secret so it's possible rocket jumping won't be a standard for secrets in episode 2. Kinda hoping since timed doors and rocket jumping make secret hunting more of a pain, took me far too long to figure out the rocket jump.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The rocket jumping secret was spoiled in a couple of gameplay videos i checked.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really impressed with this. Just hit Act 2 of Bloodrite.

Tons of variety in the expansive levels and some really fun puzzles and combats.

Might be my favourite boomer shooter of recent years.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The level design really sets this apart from all other indies trying to make a '''''''boomer''''''' shooter. By modern standards it's out of this world and I rarely got headaches trying to find my way in modern games but this one surely delivers, even more so in episode 2. And I mean that in a good way because the game never makes me feel like it was the game's fault if I spent too long on something, I feel like I'm the dumbfuck instead.

It's the anti corridor, captain obvious, quest arrow design by excellence.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Update 2.1.0 Releases Soon!
Make sure to back your game up before your saves will be rendered incompatible.
2.1.0 IS OUT IN 1-2 DAYS FROM NOW!
It's been a crazy month and I'd like to thank you all for the feedback and the crazy positive reception of Hedon Bloodrite! I believe I have finally addressed all the reported bugs, so it's time for a patch! 2.1.0 is coming very soon, it should be out before this
Wednesday, 09:00 GMT

IMPORTANT
As always, updating GZDoom causes your saved games to break, so you have about a couple of days from now to back your game out of Steam or turn auto updating off. Unfortunately, I no longer have the option to set the game to not auto update from the developer end.
Are you reading this too late and your saves are already broken? Do not despair!

You can restore progress by starting a new game and selecting the testing hub, where you can choose any map to play and get proper gear for it!

9d2e3a4bda0289b2aab1db5ef87ec32f242f6119.png

UPDATE SUMMARY
- General engine-related fixes;
- Optimization for the final map, which includes breaking it down into 2 separate maps.
- Minor bug and typo fixes for many maps;
- Adjustments and balancing to monsters and weapons;
Read the full changelog HERE.

God thanks this comes with a timely warning. I'm still messing around with that blue succubus.

Yeah, fucking up the saves is kind of a big deal. Even though you can drop in to whatever map a lot of these maps are fucking huge and having to start over would be a pain in the ass. Backed up my shit though I'm already at a new-map break point anyway since I've been on Pathfinder hiatus.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
When bloodrite came out I started over from scratch, and just made it to second map in the bloodrite chapter. The first map was fucking brutal, especially since I (stupidly) left the ai companion behind. Was down to like 14 health, an axe and 8 spikes at one point.

Breaking saves on every update is pretty bad though.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
When bloodrite came out I started over from scratch, and just made it to second map in the bloodrite chapter. The first map was fucking brutal, especially since I (stupidly) left the ai companion behind. Was down to like 14 health, an axe and 8 spikes at one point.

Breaking saves on every update is pretty bad though.

That sadly happens with GZDoom. It has been complained about endlessly on the forums that end.

The devs seem to take pleasure in not addressing the issue.

I gather it's because the saves all have a checksum based on GZdoom version and mods installed, so removing mods on GZDoom games also breaks saves (which does sort of make sense).

Edit: Also, should mention Hedon doesn't actually have any DRM on it. So you can run it completely independent of Steam if you want to make sure you don't lose anything. Just make a copy of the game directory outside of the steam folders.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Finished Bloodrite and in the middle of another playthrough on Bearzerk. Don't know what to really say besides what everyone else in here has said so I'll just shout out the fact that the second hub area you're given along with the two directly interconnected levels with them are fucking phenomenal and I wasn't expecting the game to somehow top itself given how well designed the levels before that are. Like the more ambient choice of music at times as well instead of just blaring Alexander Brandon music (and the one time it does, works since it's at least an industrial level of sorts).

As for Bearzerk, the implementation of it in Bloodrite has been solid so far. The spear replaces the crystal lance you get at the start so enemies from long range aren't an issue but there's still some consideration when dealing with crowds and especially with Paingun wielding enemies who will rip the player to shreds if not dealt with quickly. Otherwise it's been more of the same with minor differences to accommodate the changes to melee only (like the minotaur in the first hub area you'd normally give single iron ore to for specific ammo types instead now asks for eight iron ore to craft the player a large axe weapon).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom