Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hell is freezing over: Ubisoft's Might & Magic X is actually a blobber

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So does the voice in the trailer means Sheltem is back or was that just to hook old fans

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
And the Music and special sound effects that you can only hear on a higher end Roland MT-32 is awesome. :smug:

You must have been filthy rich then to get one ! A soundblaster was already an unnafordable dream by then :)

I slaved away like a nigra in the cotton fields to get my Soundblaster card back in 1991. I was 16 back then and did it in the school holidays. It was about the only job for people of my age that paid a full adult wage so the pain was worth it. That's the saving grace at least: Jaesun may have had a MT-32 but he got it long after those times, whereas I enjoyed higher quality audio right from the start. So yeah, I winz.....heh ;)

Mortmal

Arcane
And the Music and special sound effects that you can only hear on a higher end Roland MT-32 is awesome. :smug:

You must have been filthy rich then to get one ! A soundblaster was already an unnafordable dream by then :)

I slaved away like a nigra in the cotton fields to get my Soundblaster card back in 1991. I was 16 back then and did it in the school holidays. It was about the only job for people of my age that paid a full adult wage so the pain was worth it. That's the saving grace at least: Jaesun may have had a MT-32 but he got it long after those times, whereas I enjoyed higher quality audio right from the start. So yeah, I winz.....heh ;)

Working in cotton field like a nigga to sustain your oldschool rpg needs,now thats dedication, a true codexer. That was an epic era with hardware costing 4X more... And today people still whine at their PC and next gen console costing too much, plus we have steam selling games for almost nothing periodically.

Indranys

Savant
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
A decade of total decline on fire off the shoulder of Mighty Neanderthal.
I watched one of Three Evils created wonders of old school monstrosity near the new Age of Incline.
All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Time to die initiate the Exterminatus procedure.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

Working in cotton field like a nigga to sustain your oldschool rpg needs,now thats dedication, a true codexer. That was an epic era with hardware costing 4X more... And today people still whine at their PC and next gen console costing too much, plus we have steam selling games for almost nothing periodically.

Indeed. My Turbo XT cost around $1000 for my parents and it was a 'used'(I always suspected stolen)one from some shady characters bought in 1990. Basic tech was over 10 years old at that time too, though it did have VGA. I think my soundblaster was over $200. I had to give up on PC gaming between 1993-95 as I couldn't attach a 3.5 inch disk drive to my XT and by then there were no 5 1/4 inch floppy based games being made and no way could I afford a new PC. Spent a few years on the SNES instead. The next PC I had was a 486 dx2/66 in 1995 for over $3000 as a present for university(I made sure to exaggerate the value of a PC to my parents for 'educayshional purposes' heh.). Needless to say, these were phenomenal sums back then, probably the equivalent of 2 times that now or even more. Fuck 64 MB of Ram in 1998 cost me over $300! By comparison I built an i7 820 with a top motherboard, 32 gb Ram, SSD and GTX 660 for $900 now. Christ that's like getting it for free, and people still whine like you say. You go 4-5 times to the supermarket to stock up and pay more!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I missed the whole PC thing back in the day because I had a GLORIOUS :obviously: Amiga 500 (but missed out on lot of other games). :(

I did have a friend (and his parents were rich) who had a PC so I got to play some of the PC stuff I couldn't on my Amiga. Like when I saw Ultima 7 for the first time and was like HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I ran to my closest Amiga store...... only to find out they never did a port for it. :(

jewboy

Arbiter
Someone's got to say it. Step based movement is fucking annoying and it always has been. At the time it wasn't exactly considered a feature worth boasting about. It was done because they couldn't figure out how to do smooth scrolling flight sim like movement. The step based thing shows me that they believe that the reason people are so interested in games like Wastelend 2 is 100% due to nostalgia and not because the older games were in fact better than the current ones. It is in fact possible to make a game just as bad as Dragon Age with step based movement and shitty 320x200 (or worse) graphics. Some of the changes in video/computer games since 1980 have been for the better. Smooth scrolling movement was one of those improvements.

They're thinking,"These fucking old geezers, they just want to relive the old glory days of their youth. They just want something that will remind them of those old games, to allow their aging memories to reminisce. So now we know there is an elderly market for games. Let's just give them what they were used to. Make them feel comfortable."

Any incline would be just a coincidence. If they happen to copy some of the good things about the older games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
When attempting to be a shit troll, please do at least 1 minute of research and search for Chefe. You suck at it.

jewboy

Arbiter
What is a Chefe? Is that like a person who prepares food?

I must really piss you off, Jaeson. You can't just put me on your ignore list because you are a moderator? And not everyone who happens to disagree with you is a troll.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Piss me off? :lol: You are fucking terrible at this. It's like watching you in the Special Olympics trying to win a medal.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
219c2gi.gif

jewboy

Arbiter
But I thought trolling was all about posting contrary views on forums with opposite monocultures? Isn't that what I just did? Perhaps you could give me a few pointers.

What has always bothered me about this place is the lack of serious discussion. About anything. It's depressing. People would rather make snarky remarks. Short comments they think are clever. About the only thing we all have in common is our shared hatred of the NewShit.

Oh wait. Was that off topic, J? Gonna delete my post?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
People that actually ENCOURAGE discussion and have points to discuss has always been the Way of the Codex™ But with our "Open Forum" policy we get tons of retards like you that want to just troll (and FAIL at it miserably). :lol:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I missed the whole PC thing back in the day because I had a GLORIOUS :obviously: Amiga 500 (but missed out on lot of other games). :(

I did have a friend (and his parents were rich) who had a PC so I got to play some of the PC stuff I couldn't on my Amiga. Like when I saw Ultima 7 for the first time and was like HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I ran to my closest Amiga store...... only to find out they never did a port for it. :(

I remember in 1987 at some department store they had an Amiga with that famous juggler of metal reflective balls video demo playing on the screen(something unheard of back then)and it blew me away. Then they put on Defender of the Crown! I feel lucky to have lived in an era where such technological advances still could give such a reaction.

Someone's got to say it. Step based movement is fucking annoying and it always has been. At the time it wasn't exactly considered a feature worth boasting about. It was done because they couldn't figure out how to do smooth scrolling flight sim like movement.

But why do you lie when we had smooth 3D movement in games like Total Eclipse and other games based on Freespace engine since 1987 complete with 3D representations of enemies? It's not that they couldn't figure it out, just that they had to cater for the fact that most PC's were still XT based. Few people had 286's, never mind 386's! BAK used smooth scrolling in 1993 cause by then most people had more powerful machines. Soon after we had Ravenloft and Menzo which also used smooth movement.

The point is that it was firstly technology that was the limiting factor and later it became clear that there was a clear difference in gameplay style between free movement(even turn based) and step movement as highlighted by the differences between the first five M&M games and those that came after. Many people naturally preferred the step based system and that's why there is such a clamour to go back to that. The benefits are obvious and well touched upon.

jewboy

Arbiter
commie said:
jewboy said:
Someone's got to say it. Step based movement is fucking annoying and it always has been. At the time it wasn't exactly considered a feature worth boasting about. It was done because they couldn't figure out how to do smooth scrolling flight sim like movement.

But why do you lie when we had smooth 3D movement in games like Total Eclipse and other games based on Freespace engine since 1987 complete with 3D representations of enemies? It's not that they couldn't figure it out, just that they had to cater for the fact that most PC's were still XT based. Few people had 286's, never mind 386's! BAK used smooth scrolling in 1993 cause by then most people had more powerful machines. Soon after we had Ravenloft and Menzo which also used smooth movement.

Never heard of Total Eclipse until now. So technically Ultima Underworld (1993) was not the first first person perspective smooth scrolling game. Interesting. Updated my journal. It doesn't really matter whether the limitation was one of the hardware (slow computers) or of the software (no efficient algorithm yet), the step movement was not considered a feature at the time. It was considered a necessity.
commie said:
The point is that it was firstly technology that was the limiting factor and later it became clear that there was a clear difference in gameplay style between free movement(even turn based) and step movement as highlighted by the differences between the first five M&M games and those that came after. Many people naturally preferred the step based system and that's why there is such a clamour to go back to that. The benefits are obvious and well touched upon.

The benefits don't seem obvious to me and I've never seen it touched upon by anyone. It is difficult for me to imagine what they might be. There is something that step movement allows you to do that smooth movement doesn't?

jewboy

Arbiter
I won't say that because I don't have the faintest idea what tile-based design even is.

norolim

Arcane
I won't say that because I don't have the faintest idea what tile-based design even is.
More bad trolling.
That was a trolling attempt, right? 'Cause if it wasn't...o_O

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom