Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hell is freezing over: Ubisoft's Might & Magic X is actually a blobber

Visbhume

Prophet
I usually like real-time RPGs, but real-time blobbers just don't feel right to me. In older M&M games, there was a special charm in seeing the world evolve through discrete steps.

Many turn-based RPGs have this discordance in the world, in which you move around in real-time and then switch to turn-based in battles. I have always found this "modal" approach jarring. Step-based blobbers (roguelikes, too) offer a pleasant uniformity in this respect.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Turn based combat gets tedious really fast. There is nothing more annoying than game stopping every time you meet a single one-hit-kill rat or waste several rounds just waiting for enemy to move around off-screen. More annoying are the stupid hud animations many developers feel the need to put in, so that more time is wasted before every combat. Either give players a real time/fast way to dispose of lowbies, or don't have trash combat in the first place. In this respect later M&Ms did a fine job- turn based combat is optional, but without it you can only deal with weak enemies that are few in number.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Turn based combat gets tedious really fast. There is nothing more annoying than game stopping every time you meet a single one-hit-kill rat or waste several rounds just waiting for enemy to move around off-screen. More annoying are the stupid hud animations many developers feel the need to put in, so that more time is wasted before every combat. Either give players a real time/fast way to dispose of lowbies, or don't have trash combat in the first place. In this respect later M&Ms did a fine job- turn based combat is optional, but without it you can only deal with weak enemies that are few in number.
I don't see how any of that is a failure of turn-based mechanics. It's a failure in the animation department.

jewboy

Arbiter
Well it may be one of those things that you can never really explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. I didn't play those games at the time. Maybe if I had had one of those fancy Apple IIs that I used to drool over instead of my cheap Atari 400 I might have played some of those step movement games and have had the same indescribable feelings about it that you guys seem to have.

but it wasn't until around 1990 that I bought my first real computer, a smokin' 486-33 DX with I think 8 MB of RAM IIRC. So I missed all the 80s RPGs. I was able to play some adventures. In fact some of those had step movement. Wizard and the Princess for instance. It didn't strike me as a form of movement that was anything special though. I don't have any fond memories of instantaneously moving in 10' increments. I totally don't get the appeal.

norolim

Arcane
What is a blobber anyway? Well I know what it is in general. But why call it blobber? What counts as a blobber? Also :retarded: name.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-do-we-call-it-blob-combat.75648/

Also:
Ubi booth at Pax East:
BF7anT5CAAAo75k.jpg:large
This quality picture was made by Ubi staff. Let's hope they're less useless at making blobbers.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
6qi6xpug.jpg

might.JPG

+ damage numbers are not in the hundreds or thousands

- new engine can handle a maximum of 2 enemies at once on the screen

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
+ damage numbers are not in the hundreds or thousands
You know that previous M&M games had large numbers right? You used a screenshot from 6, but that game progressed to enemies with hundreds of hitpoints. Q, a secret boss, had the most with 16,000.

Mortmal

Arcane
I missed the whole PC thing back in the day because I had a GLORIOUS :obviously: Amiga 500 (but missed out on lot of other games). :(

I did have a friend (and his parents were rich) who had a PC so I got to play some of the PC stuff I couldn't on my Amiga. Like when I saw Ultima 7 for the first time and was like HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I ran to my closest Amiga store...... only to find out they never did a port for it. :(

I remember in 1987 at some department store they had an Amiga with that famous juggler of metal reflective balls video demo playing on the screen(something unheard of back then)and it blew me away. Then they put on Defender of the Crown! I feel lucky to have lived in an era where such technological advances still could give such a reaction.

Someone's got to say it. Step based movement is fucking annoying and it always has been. At the time it wasn't exactly considered a feature worth boasting about. It was done because they couldn't figure out how to do smooth scrolling flight sim like movement.

But why do you lie when we had smooth 3D movement in games like Total Eclipse and other games based on Freespace engine since 1987 complete with 3D representations of enemies? It's not that they couldn't figure it out, just that they had to cater for the fact that most PC's were still XT based. Few people had 286's, never mind 386's! BAK used smooth scrolling in 1993 cause by then most people had more powerful machines. Soon after we had Ravenloft and Menzo which also used smooth movement.

The point is that it was firstly technology that was the limiting factor and later it became clear that there was a clear difference in gameplay style between free movement(even turn based) and step movement as highlighted by the differences between the first five M&M games and those that came after. Many people naturally preferred the step based system and that's why there is such a clamour to go back to that. The benefits are obvious and well touched upon.

Ah first games that blew me away were "la quête de l'osieau du temps" , defender of the rown was already goood looking the c64, populous and above all populous.As for jew boy i hope hes only trolling, its either that or being completely ignorant, step based tile was a design choice, in mainstream magazines turn based , step based rpgs were coexisting with real time ones and both were getting excellent score , there was a technical limitation but that was possible.

According that might and magic 3 had a 1991 release date we had smooth scrolling rpgs , 1990 drakken on amiga :

Had alot of rpgs elements, and unarguably a smooth scrolling as there was shooter phases, dragon's breath :

Also countless , yes countless 3D games like falcon amiga , 1988 :

First one i remember in 1986 , sentinel on c64:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mortmal, one mustn't forget DragonStrike! An actual AD&D Dragon 'flight simulator' from 1990. Man that was some game, but hideously hard, could barely finish the first few missions but maybe that's due to the fact that my XT was just too laggy. By Westwood too I think it was.

Mortmal

Arcane
Oh yes dragon strike and now you mention it, SSI published also a bunch of real time rpgs, heroes of the lance(1988)and a follow up dragons of flame , you tube is a wonder to find gameplay video, sadly this one is on the inferior ST:

hilsfar 1989 i think :

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah Hillsfar gave me the shits at the time as the step crawler graphics in town were superior to those in POR and Curse of the Azure Bonds, but the game itself was a collection of mostly crude action minigames, like the horse riding and jumping and the arena fights rather than being a proper RPG. Though to be honest it was fun fighting in the arena. And fucking lockpicking! How ironic that the derided 'minigame' had its roots all those years ago.

Lord Andre

Arcane
This will be a 3d game like mm9, so:

- no beautifully drawn entrances to dungeons and buildings
- no beautifully drawn weapons, armor, and no (less) beautifully drawn paper doll to equip
- no flavor text for items
- big red health bar above monsters because right-clicking is teh hard
- floating damage numbers because 2013
- small outdoor areas that are actually a bunch of corridors
- flying will be in...NOT
- it will take place in the wonderful, interesting world of Ashan
- mmo color pallete

and we can't forget:

Old school, new rules !

What the fuck does that even mean ? It's black, but it's actually white ?

Thank you Ubisoft for continuing to corpse fuck one of my favourite franchises.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Where in the hell is ANY info on this game UBISoft? Seriously. Get a new marketing department or something.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
MightMagicGame ‏@MightMagicGame3h
Yesterday many fans came to play #mightandmagicX #heroes6 => 100 M&M'ers rewared with an Ultimate Adventurer card! pic.twitter.com/cvZbfg3bZw

BGCjIIVCMAAPqZ5.jpg:large

MightMagicGame ‏@MightMagicGame2h
Today is a special day at #PAXEast: US VIP fans join us for a commented hands-on and a talk about #mightandmagicX #heroes6 #mightandmagic

That's pretty much the only info they have tweeted so far. I guess they are waiting for the Press to cover this, and then might(?) have more info next week, I'm guessing.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Guys with retarded hats and retarded glasses. This is who plays Heroes and M&M nowadays.

Btw, there's a third poster with some online M&M thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom