Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hell is freezing over: Ubisoft's Might & Magic X is actually a blobber

aris

Arcane
I love how every much discussed threads on the codex always end up side-tracking on meaningless pedantic discussions about semantics of terms related to games that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
The Settlers and Anno series are actually not RTS games like 'Age of Empire' or 'Warcraft'. Those games are a mixture between simulation/building games like Sim City and RTS games. E.g. Settler II didn't even allow the player to take direct control of his military units. In contrast to classic RTS titles, these game concepts didn't hurry the player with micro-management (similar to the good old Populous).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Keep fighting those windmills Zed...:salute:
I guess I didn't edit my post fast enough. All I did was call you a retard, which stands true regardless, because I never wrote why.
Infinitron argued that the game had more of a simulation approach, which is entirely accurate.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes but thats from the creators of chaos chronicles, the(yet to be proven) ressurection of TOE :

bunch of shovelware
Are you people really this fucking retarded to judge a developer by the shit they make to get paid at the end of the month? Also, You forgot to mention they developed JA BiA.
I think that is exactly what he wanted to point out to Skyway.

Thats it but it was too subtle i guess... ill be back in line . yes and i conveniently forgot JAgged alliance and ion assault they arent girly enough ;)

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
oh, Albion!
:yeah:
Albion was one of the games that defined my childhood (guess that's part of the reason why I'm so fucked up now :lol:) and probably the game that really got me into the genre! The Settlers II was great as well. :salute:

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Albion was great, but because I've been very busy with 'Settlers II', beta testing after work was my only contribution to Albion. My former colleagues who developed Albion at this time had created legendary games like Dragonflight, Amberstar and Ambermoon before. I personally liked Dragonflight and Amberstar the most.

Stabwound

Arcane
Just a little footage of M&MX, start from 1:20
Looks grid-based to me.
Heh, well at least it's something new. It does look grid-based according to that video, but I wish someone could show the combat, skill screens, etc.

I guess Ubisoft left the devs to promote the game themselves. It's weird that the game is getting zero press attention whatsoever.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, for people like roguey, come and pick all the shitty games I've done so far: MobyGames

I enjoyed most of the strategy/builder titles you worked on. Settlers 2 was one of my favourite games of my youth, I used to play it with a friend on my PC with 2 mouses and splitscreen. Good times. Knights and Merchants was also really awesome. :salute:
Desperados 2 was a pretty good game, not as good as the first but still solid. What was your involvement in this one? Seems strange that you only worked on one game in the series.

But Germany's Next Topmodel? Holy shit. The things some people have to do in order to earn their living... I didn't even know such a game existed. I can't even really imagine what the gameplay of such a game would be like. :lol:
Care to tell us a bit about that more embarrassing piece of work in your games list? How does it feel to develop shovelware like that after working on games that were pretty much praised as the best in their subgenre (Settlers 2)? Did they actually make you watch episodes of that show so you could make the game a truthful adaption?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not weird at all.
It's not getting any press attention for the same reason no publisher in their right mind would fund a large-scale high-budget TB grid-based older style CRPG.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Care to tell us a bit about that more embarrassing piece of work in your games list?
I'll write you a PM, this thread should finally return to M&M.

on topic:
I know some people at Ubisoft and they didn't even know about M&M X until I asked them about it some days ago.o_O It definitely looks like a trial run - I guess Ubisoft wants to find out how large the retro audience of Might&Magic really is.

Arkeus

Arcane
Ok, all this talk about Hob, and i still don't get if he is one of the dev of MMX or if he is just taking over the thread by talking about some appreciated games he made.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ok, all this talk about Hob, and i still don't get if he is one of the dev of MMX or if he is just taking over the thread by talking about some appreciated games he made.
Well it's vastly more fucking entertaining that the shitty marketing job UBI is doing for their game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It'll get some coverage when they send some preview copies to people, hopefully the codex included.

Twinkle

Liturgist
I guess Ubisoft wants to find out how large the retro audience of Might&Magic really is

Still not giving out any details is a stupid move on their side. Crappy trailer alone and a developer with poor track record don't actually inspire confidence.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't believe that the small press coverage comes from the fact that this is an oldschool dungeon crawler. Grimrock got some publicity too, as a quirky little oldschool game, even by some of the more mainstream gaming sites and mags. And this is a game by fucking Ubisoft. With an X after the title. If Ubi wanted to, they could make hordes of gaming journalists spill their cum over M&M X.
"An RPG by the guys who published Assassins' Creed, that is the 10th game in a long-standing row of RPGs! That means it must be good, a game series that reaches the number 10 has to be good or there wouldn't be so many of them, also there are the HoMM games and countless other spinoffs, and Ubisoft wouldn't publish shit would they? GOTY 2013!!!!!"

Honestly, any of the big publishers could just make a game about shitting in a bucket and the gaming press would still fap over it like it were the juiciest pair of tits they've ever seen.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I used to play it with a friend on my PC with 2 mouses and splitscreen.

Heh, I always wondered if someone played that mode. Apparently they did. First time I played it at a friend's too and we were talking how "awesome" it would be if we had 2 mice. But eh, at that time in thirdworldia it was still a wonder to have a PC, 2 mice would have been probably mindblowing.

aris

Arcane
It's not weird at all.
It's not getting any press attention for the same reason no publisher in their right mind would fund a large-scale high-budget TB grid-based older style CRPG.
It makes sense, as people who would appreciate TB blobber like MMX is look like it's shaping out to be is a tiny percentage of the market. There is no way that a budget of the size of MW-games or mass effect could justify potential sales. Or indeed the marketing that is afforded on say, Bioshock: infinite. But it's definitely a change that big publishers also have started to cater to fringe markets.

If I wasn't such a cynical bastard, I'd say that Ubisoft might be tentatively dipping their feet in the water with a low-cost title to test whether the market has hit segmentation-point yet. If so, then the decline will be over, and the major studios will know that it's time to fund relatively independent substudios (thing Black Isle within Interplay) dedicated to hardcore/oldschool gaming, and other substudios dedicated to CoD clones etc.

Personally, I think we're still a long way off. The publishing market is still too woefully undercompetitive - companies like EA lumber on despite share prices that have headed downhill for years, surviving on the back of milking their sports franchises. But testing the water to see if segmentation point has arrived is seriously the only explanation I can think for why Ubisoft would make a blobbler.

A user named cat

Personally, I think we're still a long way off. The publishing market is still too woefully undercompetitive - companies like EA lumber on despite share prices that have headed downhill for years, surviving on the back of milking their sports franchises. But testing the water to see if segmentation point has arrived is seriously the only explanation I can think for why Ubisoft would make a blobbler.
Hey maybe we'll even see The Immortal II from EA. Who knows where this could lead, if anywhere at all.

Mortmal

Arcane
Albion was great, but because I've been very busy with 'Settlers II', beta testing after work was my only contribution to Albion. My former colleagues who developed Albion at this time had created legendary games like Dragonflight, Amberstar and Ambermoon before. I personally liked Dragonflight and Amberstar the most.

Albion is quite popular here, a shame they dont make games like this anymore, this was really an unique and non generic setting. Since blue byte was phagocyted by ubisoft is there a slightest hope to get an albion 2 someday ?
You will say thread is derailed and we are speaking about games that has nothing to do with might and magic but thats not true, might and magic is a part of an old forgotten era, and we are just tlaking about the good old times . There's not much to discuss about MMX yet, zero info, nothing more from pax east , it could be anything really .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom