Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hell is freezing over: Ubisoft's Might & Magic X is actually a blobber

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The motto on the game's official website is "Back to the old school". Fucking crazy, coming from Ubisoft.

The motto on the game's official website is "Back to the old school". Fucking crazy, coming from Ubisoft.

Well, that's the new buzzword for tapping into (yet) untapped source of $$$ (i.e. old school market). But I agree. Pure insanity. And Ubisoft thought of it first. I'm sure Bethesda is nervous now (no, not really, I'm just kidding :D).

If only this had a much bigger impact, and we start getting more :incline: games from big publishers, and they re-think their dumbing down / streamlining policy, and start going into the other direction (i.e. making more complex and cerebral and interesting games).

But I know that won't happen. Too many stupid people on the world that want popamole.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We are apparently not on UBIsoft's BLACKLIST. Congrat's Ms. Bee :D

https://twitter.com/MightMagicGame/status/314818322761920513

9iKu7fT.png

Delterius

Arcane
Presuming that this signals some sort of change on a Publisher, even if short-lived, Fargo has nothing to complain about. Otherwise he'd be a rebel without cause. By the way, its time to mine the old thread for bets and promises of eaten hats.

Dorateen

Arcane
Oh, hell yeah!

This of course, was the only feasible outcome. Once they paraded out the big X, there was no way they were going to deviate from the classic RPG formula without looking like fools.

I also think efforts like Grimoire deserve a lot of credit for nudging the developers in the right direction, and indie titles like Swords & Sorcery. What's happening is the "Old School" is becoming a trend. Some game designers might not have their hearts in the right place, and only follow the bandwagon. But at the rate things are going, I expect P:E to turn into an Icewind Dale style dungeon crawler by 2014.

And dwarven warriors with kilts!

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Sorry guys. Turns out I was never released from that institution 18 months ago. I am, in fact, still there and this bizarro world is all part of a construct reality my brain has created to keep me from facing the grim reality of a world dead to RPGs. Looks, though, like I've had to start inventing more and more elaborately inconceivable lies in order to maintain this charade. I mean, really...a tb blobber from Ubisoft. What the fuck was my brain thinking to consider that even remotely plausible. Damn, that Chaos Chronicles looked pretty good, too :(.

Stabwound

Arcane
Interview :incline:

Yeah, they're really pushing the "old school" thing. Hopefully it's genuine.

"Might&Magic'ers, let's dive into vintage Might & Magic!"

"Dive into Might & Magic® X Legacy, a first-person RPG that has pledged to respect the tried-and-tested tradition of its illustrious ancestors, as it leads you to epic adventure and quests while exploring the wild peninsula of Agyn."

I can't wait to see more of this tomorrow. It's supposed to be on display (playable?) at PAX so we should get a ton of video and photos and shit then. Please let this be good.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Sorry guys. Turns out I was never released from that institution 18 months ago. I am, in fact, still there and this bizarro world is all part of a construct reality my brain has created to keep me from facing the grim reality of a world dead to RPGs. Looks, though, like I've had to start inventing more and more elaborately inconceivable lies in order to maintain this charade. I mean, really...a tb blobber from Ubisoft. What the fuck was my brain thinking to consider that even remotely plausible. Damn, that Chaos Chronicles looked pretty good, too :(.

Does it matter if it is a lie, if it is a good one?

P.S. can you make my dick a bit smaller, it is really impractical. Thanks!

Delterius

Arcane
I think the efforts of Grimrock, plus the ambience created by Kickstarter are what caused this to happen. There were always some people within the likes of Ubisoft that needed only a pretext for a budget, as small/medium as it is/seems to be. Grimoire is part of this, certainly, but its role is currently limited.

We are apparently not on UBIsoft's BLACKLIST. Congrat's Ms. Bee :D

https://twitter.com/MightMagicGame/status/314818322761920513

9iKu7fT.png

Forward marches the prestigious magazine :obviously:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The ONE thing Grimrock and the Kickstarters do right, is not punishing your customers with forced shitty DRM (Direct Download, GOG) or a STEAM option.

I just wish UBISoft could only understand this.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, it was just a matter of time until the big publishers did something about that kickstarter craze.

Who would've thought they'd start making the games people back, rather than trying to kickstart CoD clones?

Diablo169

Arcane
I don't know what to say about this to be honest. Even if it's shit this is a positive thing isn't it? For Ubisoft to even try and get behind a project like this in 2013 is amazing...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Why do people say it looks and feels like MM6-8? Looks much more like MM3-5 to me, with few enemies at a time and turn based tile movement.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So, it was just a matter of time until the big publishers did something about that kickstarter craze.

Who would've thought they'd start making the games people back, rather than trying to kickstart CoD clones?

It's only ONE Publisher so far.

I wonder if the others will do? Wait and watch, jump in, or ignore it all together?

Now if only Obsidian would approach Bethesda about doing a TB Fallout spinoff the INCLINE would be complete.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Authentic Aliens Experience: brut should poast rpgcodex and neogaf poasts
Authentic Aliens Experience: and skyway has to guess
Authentic Aliens Experience: which is which
Bruticis: lol
Bruticis: thats a good idea
Michael Ironsight: do it brut
Michael Ironsight: I haven't checked Codex thread yet
Bruticis: Looks like tablet crap.

And judging by Limbic Entertainment experience, it will be a tablet crap.
Bruticis: gaf or dex?
Michael Ironsight: gaf
Bruticis: correct
Michael Ironsight: codex never uses the word tablet
Bruticis: Yeah getting a MM6-7 feel here
Bruticis: gaf or dex
Michael Ironsight: dex
Bruticis: correcyt
Bruticis: Traps are good. Each race with a unique class?
Bruticis: Everyone wants a piece of the old-school RPG pie now.
Michael Ironsight: gaf
Bruticis: Name one rehash that has been released already and was actually good and true to the original games.
Bruticis: buzz
Michael Ironsight: shit
Bruticis: its hilarious how the dex acts vs new rpgs
Bruticis: compared to fucking neogaf
Bruticis: hipster center of the world
Michael Ironsight: that post alone makes gaf more intelligent than codex
Bruticis: yup
Bruticis: all of them do so far
Bruticis: Artwork looks like piss.
Michael Ironsight: "Bruticis: Yeah getting a MM6-7 feel here"
I guessed this one right because Codex are naive gullible morons and gaf doesn't know there were MM games that old

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
OLDSCHOOL

NEW RULES

Knew that with all those massive Kickstart successes sooner or later some suits would start noticing there's an actual market for stuff like this. Now, will they fuck it up or did they just notice that oldschool is hip and were hypnotised by the use of that word in the pitch? Saying okiedokie to the dev and sending them off with a bag of money to spend on doing funky computer stuff? We'll see.

Also lol at this video probably already costing more than the development of the first few M&M's together.

catfood

AGAIN

You know what would cause a rupture in the current time-space continuum dimension? If Blizzard's yet to be announced non-sequel, non-MMO, non-expansion game will also be a TB RPG.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's only ONE Publisher so far.

I wonder if the others will do? Wait and watch, jump in, or ignore it all together?
Would you want EA to jump in? Micortran$action$ and always online, plus it would be made by Bioware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom