Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hell is freezing over: Ubisoft's Might & Magic X is actually a blobber

catfood

AGAIN
OLDSCHOOL

Also lol at this video probably already costing more than the development of the first few M&M's together.
Yeah, I noticed this too. This trailer couldn't have been cheap to make.

So, it was just a matter of time until the big publishers did something about that kickstarter craze.

Who would've thought they'd start making the games people back, rather than trying to kickstart CoD clones?
You know what would cause a rupture in the current time-space continuum dimension? If Blizzard's yet to be announced non-sequel, non-MMO, non-expansion game will also be a TB RPG.

Yeah, when is their announcement due? About that non-sequel, non-MMO, non-expansion game I mean? Tomorrow?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The motto on the game's official website is "Back to the old school". Fucking crazy, coming from Ubisoft.
Things never stay the same and can't decline (or incline) forever. The incline was as inevitable as another period of decline that would eventually follow it. Patience truly is a virtue, eh?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's only ONE Publisher so far.

I wonder if the others will do? Wait and watch, jump in, or ignore it all together?
Would you want EA to jump in? Micortran$action$ and always online, plus it would be made by Bioware.

We can only HOPE EA will do a remake of a classic cRPG! Hopefully it will have STARFORCE AND Always On Line DRM AND Origin! And Pay To Win™ Micro-Tran$action$! And done by BioWare!!!!1111!

:bounce:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes people I'm so glad Ubisoft is finally doing some incline game with depth!

Oh wait. It's a sequel to M&M.

You hit attack button and -HP just flies out of monsters standing in one place.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I wonder if the others will do? Wait and watch, jump in, or ignore it all together?
Would you want EA to jump in? Micortran$action$ and always online, plus it would be made by Bioware.

We can only HOPE EA will do a remake of a classic cRPG! Hopefully it will have STARFORCE AND Always On Line DRM AND Origin! And Pay To Win™ Micro-Tran$action$! And done by BioWare!!!!1111!

:bounce:

Imagine fucking EA doing a proper Ultima sequel while Garriott still has his affair with MMOs going. :lol:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

Nobody there even remembers what TB is, it's physically impossible for them to make such a type of game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Things never stay the same and can't decline (or incline) forever. The incline was as inevitable as another period of decline that would eventually follow it. Patience truly is a virtue, eh?
It only took a decade of shit. The question is will the incline take us to higher heights than before or is this a dead cat bouncing on it's way down?

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why do people say it looks and feels like MM6-8? Looks much more like MM3-5 to me, with few enemies at a time and turn based tile movement.

This. Definitely getting a strong pre-3DO vibe from it. Not to mention the flyby of sprites from MM1-5 and Sheltem voice in the trailer.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imagine fucking EA doing a proper Ultima sequel while Garriott still has his affair with MMOs going. :lol:
There are sudden unexpected inclines that make you feel like you are dreaming and then there are impossible occurrences heralding the swiftly approaching Apocalypse. EA making a good game belongs in the second category.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ea could pull the biggest fucking

iceburn.gif

In history. haha (AND actually give the Ultima fans what they REALLY want).

Too bad the retards turned down Obsidians offer to do it. :(

Bruticis

A minute and 30 second sneak peak, coming soon, shows next to nothing trailer made by the devs that did a facebook horse game has heralded the end of the decline?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A minute and 30 second sneak peak, coming soon, shows next to nothing trailer made by the devs that did a facebook horse game has heralded the end of the decline?
You're late, skyway's already been here.

And the point is that an AAA publisher is exploiting their own franchises without change the genre, which is an pretty interesting development that would not be possible in 2012.

Stabwound

Arcane
The decline ended about a year ago.

This could really go either way, but turn-based, grid-based and open world makes me feel more inclined to call it incline. This very well could be awful, though.

As far as EA releasing a true Ultima sequel, it's just not going to happen. Their usage of the Ultima franchise includes the wonderful Lords of Ultima and Ultima Forever. No, they're so far into the decline than they can't even see daylight anymore.

Robert Jarzebina

It only took a decade of shit. The question is will the incline take us to higher heights than before or is this a dead cat bouncing on it's way down?

The most successful game projects on kickstarter are old school RPGs. New consoles are just modern PCs and nothing else. There is no revolution in games graphics anymore. Casual market is shrinking every year.
Minecraft a game with no guns, no graphics and no budget is becoming the most popular and successful game of all time.

Interesting times. I think there is a chance that huge publishers will start financing middle/big bugdet "old school" ambitious games now as a side projects to COD everyday shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Apparently Bruticis missed the point where Codex stopped caring for good games and just became pretentious.
Evil publishers? Durr I buy their games day 1 regardless.
Modern games are too dumb and simple? Well here's M&M10 got announced which plays like a Facebook game and Codex is lapping it up

In an age where RPGs reached the level of you being able to control your whole party across well detailed areas with monsters that flank you Codex is fapping to a game where you just literally hit the attack button and see Call of Duty-like instant gratification points fly out of monsters and nothing else.

The megairony is that this is a comment at a fucking Kotaku of all places
Awesome how they can just take old games and put new graphics over the top and people go crazy for it.... I'm starting to agree with Richard Garriott about the ingenuity and creativity of current game designers and developers.... Of course, he's not really doing anything original these days either it seems....

Bruticis

Apparently you missed reading the website?
This one?
Only some of our game awards we have been working hard to receive with the whole Limibc-team during the last years. We have always been very excited about every single nomination and every award we received! And right now, we are working towards new awards and prices!

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I don't know what to say about this to be honest. Even if it's shit this is a positive thing isn't it? For Ubisoft to even try and get behind a project like this in 2013 is amazing...

That's going to depend on a couple of factors. Big publishers are used to making big games for big (mostly not terribly discerning) audiences. Making a small budget affair is an entirely different ball game. One good example of this is the DRM they end up using. For big releases, if you piss off those of us who spend our time actually taking about games and following gaming news, there will still be all the other less obsessive gamers who typically don't really give a fuck about such things to pick it up day one. I suspect a restrictive DRM would hurt sales of such a title more than for a big budget release (this, at least partially, plays into the reason why so many indies forgo such systems).

Secondly, exactly how many sales will they really be happy with? Hopefully the executives will fully appreciate the differences (and the positives it can bring to the stability of a studio) running a bunch of such (comparative) low budget, low risk, low earner projects. That seems a little optimistic.

Thirdly, old-school is a double edged sword. Innovation is, as has been observed here many times, typically somewhat PR driven. What is new and innovative is what we say will be new and innovative to the press - at least in the AAA world. Conversely old-school means a whole bunch of different things to different people, and each of those people has a very firm grasp on what they believe that to be (the Codex would be very much a duller place if this was not the case). If the game fails to capture at least part of this, it will suffer in sales to some degree - and being a somewhat watershed project will affect how Ubisoft, and ultimately other big names who are thinking of wading in, consider such projects in the future.

tl;dr - pleasing us old bastards is a hard job

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Apparently you missed reading the website?
This one?
Only some of our game awards we have been working hard to receive with the whole Limibc-team during the last years. We have always been very excited about every single nomination and every award we received! And right now, we are working towards new awards and prices!

doh! Wrong link: http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/mightandmagicx-legacy/en-GB/game/index.aspx

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom